Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 20 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Terrorism/Bombings

Heck, Khan has his reasons for wanting revenge. His wife died with an eel in her ear and he spent fifteen years in hell because Kirk ditched him on that planet years ago--and never bothered to check on them.

Doesn't mean we were supposed to root for Khan, but he had his own motivations. He wasn't out for revenge just for the hell of it.
Old April 20 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Nightowl1701
Commander

Wouldn't be the first time art paralleled life (or vice versa). Remember when Star Wars - The New Jedi Order: Star By Star came out? Only one month after 9/11, and the book ended with the Yuuzhan Vong (which themselves seemed eerily reminiscent of Islamic extremists) conquering Coruscant (and overthrowing the New Republic) by dropping hundreds of giant refugee ships (filled to the brim with civilian prisoners from earlier battles, which they'd used to shield their own fleet) directly on top of the city-planet. Basically 9/11 x 10,000. *shudder* Of course the book was written months before the event. But coming as it did right on the heels of that horrific tragedy, it played as nothing less than the SW version of the Apocalypse.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Danger Ace
Commander

tippy wrote: View Post
In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, will Harrison's terrorist actions/bombings in the movie be too much to stomach?
I do not believe so. It may even be an emotional release (assuming the onscreen villian(s) are dispatched in a grand and satisfying fashion). It t kind of reminds me (loosely) of Star Trek VI's release wherein the plot was very topical in dealing with real world changes.

Btw, my heartfelt prayers go out to the victims, their families and friends of the Boston Bombings. Even though I am rather mature in age and sadly, we, as nation, have been through this before I could not help but shed tears.

Also, at the risk of sounding goofy, I would like to gently caution folks not to allow this terrible, horrific incident to be viewed as a justification for hate.

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I don't think that it will really effect movie goers more. Unfortunately, terrorism is so commonplace now, and a part of everyday life, that I don't think this particular plot point will stand out more to people because of the Boston bombings.
I disagree with "commonplace." I would even say it feels as if it has decreased since the high of the late-60s/1970s. I seem to recall that period as always having a hijacking or bombing going on somewhere. I do believe that slowly but surely humanity is making progress and getting better. No despair.

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight Rises did a billion dollars worldwide even after the tragedy in Colorado. I don't think the Boston attack will dampen the Into Darkness box office.
Good point.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Heck, Khan has his reasons for wanting revenge. His wife died with an eel in her ear and he spent fifteen years in hell because Kirk ditched him on that planet ... He wasn't out for revenge just for the hell of it.
Bearing in mind that Kahn was a despot at heart, he would have sought to avenge himself on Kirk no matter what (in my opinion).

Last edited by M'Sharak; April 20 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: four consecutive posts merged
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:27 PM   #19
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Please don't spam; use
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:36 PM   #20
throwback
Captain

From the beginning, I felt the bombers were Americans. I felt they had to know the meaning of Patriots Day and the Boston Marathon to the people of Boston. I was dubious that international terrorists would have such an intimate knowledge of the city and its people. I was proven right. (Yes, they were born in another country; however, they became Americans after living here. We don't call Saint Paul a Jew, we call him a Christian. Why? He converted to that faith. Same thing here.)

As for its impact on Star Trek, although I would like to see a memorial to the victims of the bombing at the beginning of the film, i.e. STIV's tribute to Challenger, I am not sure if one will be made.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:40 PM   #21
ROBE
Commander

Well I grew up with terrorism, I am from Northern Ireland. A neighbour murdered by a car bomb, a guy I went to school with gunned down in a bar.
Strangely enough two thirds of those killed were by groups supported by Rep. Peter King and Plastic Paddies.
I condemn the Boston Bombing but maybe Americans should look at their own double standards?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:32 PM   #22
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I felt they had to know the meaning of Patriots Day and the Boston Marathon to the people of Boston.
Yeah really. I had never heard of Patriots Day before. I didn't think some guy in Yemen would have known about it.
Old April 21 2013, 12:01 AM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because the terrorists have mentioned Patriots Day as figuring into their timing here?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:27 AM   #24
cbspock
Rear Admiral

In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, will Harrison's terrorist actions/bombings in the movie be too much to stomach?

Star Trek at it's best commenting on society. They did Vietnam stories during the original run as the war was going on. Deep Space 9 preceded 9/11 but it did do episodes that sure hit home afterward with Paradise Lost and Homefront.

-Chris
Old April 21 2013, 01:03 AM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

ROBE wrote: View Post
Well I grew up with terrorism, I am from Northern Ireland. A neighbour murdered by a car bomb, a guy I went to school with gunned down in a bar.
Strangely enough two thirds of those killed were by groups supported by Rep. Peter King and Plastic Paddies.
I condemn the Boston Bombing but maybe Americans should look at their own double standards?
I'm from near Birmingham, England, which had the crap blown out of it on multiple occasions.

I was going to say pretty much what you did...
Old April 21 2013, 01:10 AM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I felt they had to know the meaning of Patriots Day and the Boston Marathon to the people of Boston.
Yeah really. I had never heard of Patriots Day before. I didn't think some guy in Yemen would have known about it.
It could be the Patriot's Day thing was just a coincidence. Hell, I'm an American and I had no idea that Monday was "Patriot's Day."

I think more people have heard of the Boston Marathon . . . .
Old April 21 2013, 01:34 AM   #27
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
It could be the Patriot's Day thing was just a coincidence. Hell, I'm an American and I had no idea that Monday was "Patriot's Day."

I think more people have heard of the Boston Marathon . . . .
Yeah, the "Patriot's Day" angle is completely conjectural. People fill in the blanks with all kinds of stupid stuff.

The "meaning of the Boston Marathon" is a big gathering of people in an unsecured public place. This isn't rocket science, and there's no need for people to congratulate themselves in retrospect because they made wild guesses and now can fit some of them into a narrative; it's offensive.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:36 AM   #28
Danger Ace
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Please don't spam; use
You really need to stop harassing and refrain from willfull misuse of terms such as "spam." If you feel the need to correct or point something out then please do so politely, it would be appreciated.

Also, a link to the appropriate "help" page regarding "multi-quote" would have been a thoughful addition to your correction as "mult-quote" is a feature that I personally am unfamiliar with. Perhaps if you restrained yourself from trying to ascribe dire meanings or motivations to my postings we could all enjoy friendlier interactions.

Please note I am looking to avoid any escalations of hostilites.

Definition of "spam": "Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."

Each one of my posts were unique and in response to what was written previously. Was there an alternate way of posting perhaps, however, that should be a matter of choice.

Thank you and with all due respect.

Last edited by Danger Ace; April 21 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:50 AM   #29
donners22
Commodore

For a few directly affected by them? Perhaps, depending on the individual.

For the vast majority of the viewing public? Of course not. Terrorism has been going on long before films were around, and it is a dog whistle topic for modern "entertainment".

Something tells me that he may not be a particularly sympathetic villain - I doubt we'll be getting too much in-depth analysis of the morality of his actions (though I would be delighted to be pleasantly surprised).
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:03 AM   #30
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

Each one of my posts were unique and in response to what was written previously. Was there an alternate way of posting perhaps, however, that should be a matter of choice.
Citing the board FAQ sections concerning Spamming:
Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread. If you need to answer more than one person in the thread, please use the [Multi-]Quote function.
and Replying to a Post:
If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button . This button will change to indicate that you've selected it. Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted.
Simply click that button on each of the posts to which you wish to respond, then click the 'Post Reply' button. The board software will quote all of them within a single post, and you can write your reply to each.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote