A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 20 2013, 10:55 PM   #676
Qutluch
Commander

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

Hunters

Was Chakotay's warning that some people may not be over joyed that they are alive pointed at Janeway? Was that his hint to her that maybe your fiancé moved on, so keep considering me? Hint, hint, wink, wink....

I feel like Seven should be more confused. I like the idea of transforming a Borg, and adding her to the crew, but she does not seem to struggle enough. She is concerned about things that are important to Janeway and she responds to her like that is where her loyalty has always lain.

The ship receives letters from home. While this is a nice first transmission, should they not have sent useful information that may have helped them get home first? At least letters from home make for good TV. Neelix was the natural choice for the mailman.

Tuvok is so cute. He tried to pretend that he did not want to read the letter, but as soon as Neelix left he picked it up. Janeways response was sullen. I am not sure if she was happy about the letter from her fiancé or sad. Chakotay was sad because all of the Maquis except the Voyager crew are dead, slaughtered by the Cardassians and the Dominion.

The signal starts to degrade and seven goes in with Tuvok to fix it. She is worried about him going, thinking that it is an insult of the captains suspicion. As they come closer to the station,they are attacked and captured by hirogen hunters.

Tom gets a letter from his father. He's terrified of what it says. He has a better life on voyager than he ever had at home, and wanted to forget about it. Chakotay talks to Janeway, whose fiancé has married another woman. I feel like chakotay was veeeery interested to hear that... all in all, The letters from home haven't turned out very well for a lot of people...

Tuvok and seven have both awoken on the hirogen ship. They want to keep the trophies for their livers and intestines... I loved the exchange between the hirogen and seven... "What could you possibly want with my intestines?" "Men will envy me and women will desire me!" "You are a crude species."

The final conversation with Janeway and chakotay also felt like a very sexually charged atmosphere... Hoping to see some action for the officers soon!

Favorite part: the doctors musings with Seven about him becoming a hero, and her counter that they will probably erase his program and update him.

Least favorite part: the communication tower exploded...no more communications from home....sad, but understandable.
Old April 21 2013, 01:50 AM   #677
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Imagine some aliens showed up out of no where and destroyed AT&T, if some space woogy got between you and your internet connection and you couldn't play World of Warcraft any more.

Qutluch is going to cut a B**ch.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:51 AM   #678
Qutluch
Commander

Prey

The hirogen attack species8472 . I think the hirogen are going to get their asses kicked. Why is Seven hanging out on the bridge? Janeway certainly has a lot of patience with her. Janeway is very compassionate, and I sense she really wants to help Seven, but how much back talk will she take before her and Seven have to have a serious discussion? I just do not understand the role of Seven yet, although I love the acting! There just has not been enough conflict with her entry into the crew.

Members of Voyager board the damaged hirogen vessel. They save the pilot,and bring him to sickbay. Species 8472 also goes to the ship. The hirogen bargains with Janeway to let him hunt with her, and he will tell his species to leave Voyager alone.

Six ships are closing on their position, so time is running short in the hunt. 8472has sealed off a deck disabled the life support, and eliminated gravity. The crew, in their gravity suits, goes in with the hunter. There is a firefight, but the hirogen goes for a kill, making tuvok shoot him in the back. 8472 is injured and constrained by a force field. It makes a psychic link with tuvix, telling the story of its war against the Borg and how it only wants to go home. The captain tells seven to make a link to fluidic space, but she refuses. I think Janeway is losing her patience with Seven.

The six hirogen ships arrive, and they aren't ready. The hirogen approaches the force field, wanting to kill the alien, but the alien breaks free first. Seven hacks the transporters and beams them both to a hirogen ship. Voyager breaks free and flies to safety. Janeway reams Seven a new one, finally putting her into rank and file. She loses almost all of her privileges, and can either work astrometrics or stay in the cargo bay for the rest of the journey.

I assume the Hirogen will be the next antagonists for little while...At least I hope so. They amuse me with their hunting mentality. I do kind of wish we would have found out if the cauldron of boiling meat was their food....it would make a difference in how Startrek perceives them (at least I assume it would...I don't feel like Janeway would be as compasionate toward cannibals...)

Favorite part: Janeway finally puts Seven in her place.

Least favorite part: I really didn't dislike anything in this episode... Simply a well constructed piece of Star Trek !!!
Old April 21 2013, 05:13 AM   #679
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Qutluch wrote: View Post
It makes a psychic link with tuvix,
8472: I see dead people!

That quip aside... commentary for a few episodes, you're back with a vengeance!

Message in a Bottle... cliche episode on a number of levels. If they got frequent flier light years for all the plot conveniences in this one episode, they'd be back home already. But despite all that Doctor centered episodes are fun. My favorite moment was when they fired and hit the wrong ship.

Hunters... well this really introduces the Hirogen. Sure they were in last episode briefly, but not much substance there. Or here really. They hunt people, they get off on it, they take trophies. Ah another cliche Trek race where all members conform to a single stereotype. Honestly I enjoyed the character moments the letters provided more than I did the "action" parts. But at least they got rid of that super plot convenience relay.

Prey... I guess it was nice to see Species 8472, and Tony Todd proves how awesome he is no matter what role he plays. No real lasting consequences on this one though. The Hirogen -will- still be after Voyager, 8472 won't care about them saving that fellow and Seven's grounding will last about as long as you think. As for your question regarding her role? Pretty much it's ship's smart person like Spock or Data. Unless you think the Kim/Torres duo did it properly?

Plus yeah... Janeway/Seven are either mother/daughter relationship or sleeping together. The fanbase is divided on this one to this day.
Old April 21 2013, 07:31 AM   #680
Mareika
Commander

Hunters
[...]
Chakotay talks to Janeway, whose fiancé has married another woman. I feel like chakotay was veeeery interested to hear that... all in all,
[...]
The final conversation with Janeway and chakotay also felt like a very sexually charged atmosphere... Hoping to see some action for the officers soon!
[...]
You know, that there are deleted scenes between those two in this episode? Scenes which show how close they could have been? But they cut the scenes.
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:35 AM   #681
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Are those scenes anywhere online?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:12 PM   #682
Mareika
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
Yes they are.
Watch the season four trailer and look at 0:25 , the scenes between Janeway and Chakotay. This scenes they didn`t show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LghbXH7Zm0

Last edited by Mareika; April 23 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: error
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:42 PM   #683
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Ugh that girlish smile is awful there! Very nice acting from KM though, made me wish we'd seen it for that! And why did they have the FC theme music for this trailer? Are there any other scenes online? Oh and thanks for the link, I never knew this!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:45 PM   #684
Qutluch
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
It makes a psychic link with tuvix,
8472: I see dead people!

That quip aside... commentary for a few episodes, you're back with a vengeance!

Message in a Bottle... cliche episode on a number of levels. If they got frequent flier light years for all the plot conveniences in this one episode, they'd be back home already. But despite all that Doctor centered episodes are fun. My favorite moment was when they fired and hit the wrong ship.

Hunters... well this really introduces the Hirogen. Sure they were in last episode briefly, but not much substance there. Or here really. They hunt people, they get off on it, they take trophies. Ah another cliche Trek race where all members conform to a single stereotype. Honestly I enjoyed the character moments the letters provided more than I did the "action" parts. But at least they got rid of that super plot convenience relay.

Prey... I guess it was nice to see Species 8472, and Tony Todd proves how awesome he is no matter what role he plays. No real lasting consequences on this one though. The Hirogen -will- still be after Voyager, 8472 won't care about them saving that fellow and Seven's grounding will last about as long as you think. As for your question regarding her role? Pretty much it's ship's smart person like Spock or Data. Unless you think the Kim/Torres duo did it properly?

Plus yeah... Janeway/Seven are either mother/daughter relationship or sleeping together. The fanbase is divided on this one to this day.
Thanks for the insights. I will have to keep my eyes peeled on the Janeway/Seven relationship to see if I can figure out my opinion of their relationship! I am kind of curious as to see if she becomes Neelix's pal, or if she really dislikes him because he is too energetic. I feel like she is going to need one good friend. Neelix had Kes. B'Elanna has Paris. Kim had Paris...god, I hope Seven does not go for Kim....eeek....

Sorry I disappeared for so long, new boss at work and all that crap. I am back with a venegenace though (at least on the weekends)!
Old April 27 2013, 05:47 PM   #685
Qutluch
Commander

Mareika wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Yes they are.
Watch the season four trailer and look at 0:25 , the scenes between Janeway and Chakotay. This scenes they didn`t show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LghbXH7Zm0
Awesome, kind of wish they would have included that!
Old April 27 2013, 07:07 PM   #686
R. Star
Rear Admiral

god, I hope Seven does not go for Kim....eeek....
Well you've already seen Revulsion haven't you? Kim had his chance.
Old April 27 2013, 08:57 PM   #687
Qutluch
Commander

It is a good indication, but she could always, however unfortunate, change her mind. I am looking forward to her interactions with the crew; particularly Neelix and Tuvok. I do like her interactions with the Doc! She fits his superiority complex!
Old April 28 2013, 07:49 PM   #688
Qutluch
Commander

Retrospect

I feel like they kind of overdid it with the target buoy. The buoy was huge if you look at it in comparison to Voyager. Janeway and Kovin strike a deal, and Janeway buys a buoy. Chakotay asks Seven to work on integrating the systems, and she does not want to. Chakotay threatens her with the Captain’s respect, and she gives in and goes to do what Chakotay asked of her.

Seven punches Kovin in a small dispute, and when Janeway goes to talk to Kovin in the med room she apologizes to him, but it was really half assed. Janeway talks to Seven, and explains to her that she needs to think before she acts.

Seven has buried memories. The Doc helps her to find out what they are, and it turns out that while Paris and Seven were testing fire arms on the planet Kovin took her to a laboratory and shot her with a small weapon in order to incapacitate her. They took Borg technology from her and stimulated implants in her arms. Then they gave her a drug to suppress her memories….supposedly.

Okay, this episode is bullshit. Tuvok questions the extracted memories and Janeway, rather than being outraged that one of her crew was attacked, asks if there is any evidence. When Tom’s memories were messed with and he was put up for murder the crew was completely on his side and Tuvok immediately did a mind meld with him in order to provide the necessary evidence.

With Seven, the Doc had to go to bat for her. I call BS. Tuvok could have mind melded with her immediately and the whole discussion would have been null and void! Tuvok should have been in charge of this investigation the whole time.

Favorite part: When the Doc explains to Seven that they have to accept the fact that few life forms will meet their standards.

Least favorite part: The lack of the crew’s immediate outrage, and the idea that Tuvok would mindmeld with Paris to prove his innocence, but not Seven!
Old April 28 2013, 09:57 PM   #689
Qutluch
Commander

The Killing Game Parts 1 & 2

Janeway as a Klingon…the makeup looks better on B’Elanna! My immediate thought when I saw her as Klingon, well, my hope, was that she was blowing off steam because she felt remorse/guilt over Kavon’s death in the last episode, but...

So, I was not quite sure what was going on in the beginning. Apparently, they were taken over and reprogramed…. We see a nice WWII, bar scene. Seven is a great singer! Apparently, the Hirogen have taken over the ship and are using most of the crew as simulations that they can hunt and re-hunt under specific circumstances. The on-going circumstance is France in WWII. Janeway is leading the French Resistance in her simulation. Tuvok, Neelix, and Seven are assisting Janeway. B’Elanna is apparently pregnant with a German soldier. Kim and the Doc are “free” on VOY. The Doc has to keep repairing the crew or the prey each time they are injured. (You would think that after a while their injuries would begin to hurt their bodies, even if the Doc can keep repairing their bodies). Kim is in charge of keeping the ship and the holodeck simulations running.

The Hirogen leader wants to populate Voyager and the holodecks with constant simulations of hunting. This way, the Hirogen could have roots and maintain their hunting lifestyle. He feels that the Hirogen need to end their migrating lifestyle in order to survive.

Part I ends with Janway’s neural transmitter going down (thanks to Kim and the Doc) and now she and Seven know what is going on inside the simulation. I have to give it to Kim, albeit grudgingly, well done this episode, well done….He sticks up for himself against the Hirogen and does not even whine, he is even a little brave…

Part II starts off with Janeway in the ship. She makes a comment that there are holodeck emitters throughout the ship now…hopefully, when this is done Voyager will be able to use the holodeck emitters so the Doc can go through the ship on his own. Although, they are going to have a hell of a time finding enough supplies to fix the ship, I think she made a comment to the Hirogen that it was seven decks. Do they even have the crew left to fix the ship?

Janeway goes through the various holodeck scenes and gets the crew to join her in battle. She even recruits Neelix as a Klingon from Holodeck 1. Neelix, makes a pretty funny Klingon at first, even when his neural transmitter was working. After the transmitter’s go down , with the Doc’s help, Neelix steps up and stops saying please and leads the Klingon’s into battle against the Nazi. In the end, the Voyager crew wins, well kind of. They create a cease fire with the Hirogen and the Hirogen leave with the trophy of the technology needed to make a holodeck simulation of their own if they want to create a new way to hunt.

Overall, great episodes. I like the premise of the Hirogen taking the ship. It even makes sense with the plot that the Hirogen leader is trying to create a constant place where they can hunt. It is a good idea, and it shows the advancement of a different species. As cliché’ as it is to use Nazi’s as the bad guys, they actually pull it off here. I like pleasant surprises and the following struck me as fun and they fit the episode: Kind Neelix makes a decent Klingon when pressed. Kim was actually brave and less whiny. I do like it when the characters develop in ways we do not see in a regular episode. This is the second time this season we see the darker side of Neelix. I like the development of his character recently. They have shown that while his base personality is the Neelix we usually see, he like anyone can get angry when pressed. Kim (which I know most people like far better than I) proved that he could be brave and a leader in rough situations.

Favorite part: I am partial to arc episodes! Also, when the Doc is in the Klingon simulation and the Klingons talk Neelix and Doc into going into battle, the Doc sardonically says, “Tally Ho”. I found this hysterical!

Least favorite part: Once the neurotransmitters were taken off do they remember the whole simulation, everything even from the past weeks? I do not think so based on the crews’ response, but I am not sure. The crew still knew their way around the simulation…
Old April 28 2013, 11:47 PM   #690
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Technically I think it's a well done episode and the studio backlot scenes must have been a nice change for the cast. But I tend to dislike stories which just throw us into a situation and then require a flashback to explain how we got there.