Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 20 2013, 04:30 PM   #196
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Ln X wrote: View Post
Now if only the pictures of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planting the bombs, or dumping their rucksacks, or planting those pressure cookers would surface on the internet,
There is that chilling picture of the younger terrorist (white hat) standing with the pack that contained the bomb at his feet not far behind the little 8 year-old boy that was killed in the explosion.

I saw it once and as a mommy couldn't bring myself to look at it again.

then they would be as good as guilty.
They assassinated one police officer in his cruiser, seriously wounded another and threw IEDs at the police. I think that is pretty damning evidence.

Whoa Nellie
Old April 20 2013, 06:03 PM   #197
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Now we wait for Dennis Lehane to write the novelization.
He's already written an op-ed piece for the NYT.
That's fantastic. I love Dennis Lehane, and not just because we're both OFD. His books make me suicidally depressed, but we have a lot in common.

Dennis Lehane wrote:
No, what a Bostonian means when he or she says “They messed with the wrong city” is “You don’t think this changes anything, do you?”

Trust me, we won’t be giving up any civil liberties to keep ourselves safe because of this. We won’t cancel next year’s marathon. We won’t drive to New Hampshire and stockpile weapons. When the authorities find the weak and terminally maladjusted culprit or culprits, we’ll roll our eyes at whatever backward ideology they embrace and move on with our lives.
Wicked cool.
Old April 20 2013, 06:34 PM   #198
lurok
Commodore

I thought this was great tribute:

Old April 20 2013, 07:26 PM   #199
Data Holmes
Admiral

Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Now if only the pictures of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planting the bombs, or dumping their rucksacks, or planting those pressure cookers would surface on the internet,
There is that chilling picture of the younger terrorist (white hat) standing with the pack that contained the bomb at his feet not far behind the little 8 year-old boy that was killed in the explosion.

I saw it once and as a mommy couldn't bring myself to look at it again.

then they would be as good as guilty.
They assassinated one police officer in his cruiser, seriously wounded another and threw IEDs at the police. I think that is pretty damning evidence.

Whoa Nellie
He's an idiot, ignore him.
Old April 20 2013, 08:05 PM   #200
arch101
Fleet Captain

Well, that was certainly one of the most amazing events I've ever witnessed. And to see it all play out in places I know and that are a relative stone's throw from where I live is very surreal. A historic terrorist manhunt in Watertown, of all places? The terrorist is taken to Mt. Auburn Hospital, a small facility normally anonymous in the shadow of big guns like MGH and NEMC (well, he was later transferred to BI). If this was a movie, it would be considered far-fetched.

I know what you mean. White Hat was captured 4 miles from my house in Waltham.
Old April 20 2013, 08:48 PM   #201
Ln X
Fleet Captain

I have to say these two terrorists are the most stupidest terrorists ever. They lived two miles away from the site of the bombings, they then decided to rob a store five hours after the Boston police announced they were looking for our suspects. Next these Tsarnaev brothers kill a police officer some distance away from the store they robbed, and that was only a mile away from the site of the bombings.

Next they hijack a car, chuck IEDs at police, then crash the car in Watertown. How the younger brother escaped from the clutches of the police at that point is a mystery to me, everyone nearby in the houses would have woken up to the sound of gunfire, and God knows how many cops were there surrounding that crashed car as these suspects made their last stand. How Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wriggled out of that one I don't know.

Finally nearly twenty hours later and with most of Watertown locked down for most of that time, in a state of martial law with the army searching residences without any regard to search warrants, Dzhokhar is found hiding in someone's boat in a back garden less than a kilometre away from the shoot-out with the cops. The police and army messed up big time here, and Dzhokhar was found by the resident who owned that boat, after the resident left his property to check on his boat when the stay-indoors order was lifted.

The resident calls the police and Dzhokhar is at last caught, and the resident only noticed anything suspicious because there were bloodstains on the path leading to this boat. Which warrants the question, if the police and army had searched this house and presumably the back garden, why didn't they notice the bloodstains?

There's a timeline (in the link below) compiled by the BBC of the manhunt for the Tsarnaev brothers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22229434

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:24 PM   #202
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

At least the cops didn't shoot any innocent bystanders or burn them alive like what happened with Dorner. Much better performance imo by the police.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:05 PM   #203
gturner
Admiral

I've heard (and can't confirm) that suspect #1 was spread eagle on the ground with a bunch of police aiming guns at him when suspect #2 sped toward the cops in the stolen SUV, running over suspect #1 and scattering the cops. If true we should call them "speed bump" (suspect #1) and "white hat" (suspect #2), and also add "hit and run" and maybe "vehicular manslaughter" to the list of charges. Suspect #2 probably ran over his own Marines in Halo all the time.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:15 PM   #204
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

gturner wrote: View Post
I've heard (and can't confirm) that suspect #1 was spread eagle on the ground with a bunch of police aiming guns at him when suspect #2 sped toward the cops in the stolen SUV, running over suspect #1 and scattering the cops. If true we should call them "speed bump" (suspect #1) and "white hat" (suspect #2), and also add "hit and run" and maybe "vehicular manslaughter" to the list of charges. Suspect #2 probably ran over his own Marines in Halo all the time.
I just watched video of an epic interview with Watertown police chief Edward Deveau by Wolf Blitzer.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nSSzoy5ow7M

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gjv_bhOiyI8

Chief Deveau said his officers were cuffing Terrorist # 1 when Terrorist #2 came barreling down on them with the car and the police managed to jump out of the way and he just drove over his brother killing him.

Listening to this interview it is clear both Terrorist #1 and #2 were cold blooded bastards! Scary.

Whoa Nellie
Old April 20 2013, 11:31 PM   #205
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Yes suspect #2 ran over his own bro.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:02 AM   #206
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

[...] they then decided to rob a store five hours after the Boston police announced they were looking for our suspects.
A minor correction here: In a press conference yesterday between 6 and 6:30pm EST, the State Police said that the robbery in question was not performed by the brothers. It coincidentally occurred at roughly the same time they were at the store.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:22 AM   #207
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The resident calls the police and Dzhokhar is at last caught, and the resident only noticed anything suspicious because there were bloodstains on the path leading to this boat. Which warrants the question, if the police and army had searched this house and presumably the back garden, why didn't they notice the bloodstains?
They didn't search his house, it was just outside of their search area. IMHO at least, they had to set a limit somewhere and they were close.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:06 AM   #208
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I have to say these two terrorists are the most stupidest terrorists ever.
No, they're above average as far as terrorists go by virtue of the fact that their bombing plot actually succeeded where so many others fail. Albeit their plot was fairly modest in scope compared to state sponsored or more organized terrorist groups like al Qaeda.

If terrorists were mostly geniuses, they'd probably find another line of work. The leaders, planners, and facilitators are usually smart guys, but the foot soldiers and cannon fodder --the guys taking the most risk-- are usually insular, ignorant, and easily suggestible. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, and fanatical ideology can sometimes convince even smart people to do stupid things, but for the most part that's true.

The shoe bomber failed because he had sweaty feet that dampened the fuse after he had to wear his shoes a day longer than expected. The underwear bomber got jumped and hit with fire extinguishers when he set his pants on fire (which was the actual plan). The Times Square Bomber double parked at a weird angle, left the hazard lights on in his unoccupied car, and it started smoking. These aren't the best and the brightest. But even so, in the case of the first two at least, their schemes would have been successful in severely damaging or destroying their planes if not for dumb luck and dumb terrorists. It's not like it always takes a complex plot to be a successful bomber.

In the case of these two, they were fairly well educated (the younger brother more so). But intelligent or not, there's only so long you can hide when a sizable chunk of the nation's law enforcement resources are working 24/7 to catch you.

A more apt description of these guys would be what their rather amusing uncle called them originally: losers. They escaped a war-torn oppressive region and came to a country where they had plenty of opportunities to succeed and in the case of the previously outgoing and well-respected and well-liked younger brother, were actually doing that right up until they decided to squander it all and throw not only their own lives away but the lives of several innocents. They're not lacking in intelligence, though their actions certainly were at times. Fanaticism and antisocial behavior (especially in the older brother) will do that to you.

They lived two miles away from the site of the bombings, they then decided to rob a store five hours after the Boston police announced they were looking for our suspects. Next these Tsarnaev brothers kill a police officer some distance away from the store they robbed, and that was only a mile away from the site of the bombings.
They didn't rob the 7/11. That was just a very unfortunately timed and located coincidence that caused confusion.

But it's worth recapping. Here is a revised one via the Massachusetts State Police:

"2224 MIT Police get calls for what sounds like shots

"2228 Armed Robbery of 7-11 750 Mass Ave (not bombers)

"2229 MIT Officer found shot, request for ALS from Cambridge

"2231 Call comes in for car-jacking that took place at 816 Memorial Drive

"Some time later: MBTA police spots car and pursuit ends in Watertown"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...hunt-continues

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oston/2097915/
How the younger brother escaped from the clutches of the police at that point is a mystery to me, everyone nearby in the houses would have woken up to the sound of gunfire, and God knows how many cops were there surrounding that crashed car as these suspects made their last stand. How Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wriggled out of that one I don't know.
How about it was the middle of the night and very dark, it was an extremely tense and confusing situation, the older brother provided a distraction by going after police with the IEDs and gunfire on foot, and there was smoke everywhere from the grenades, IEDs, and gunfire. The visibility was so bad that the younger brother ran over the older brother while trying to run over the police, and he bought himself some time to escape when they scattered from the path of the car. He put some distance between them, then ditched the car and went to find a place to hide. It's not rocket science.

Even on 24 where you seem to be getting your conspiracy theories from, did they ever actually set up an airtight perimeter no matter how many times they assured the CTU head or president of the week that they had? Even in fictional terrorism land it's hard to do.

Finally nearly twenty hours later and with most of Watertown locked down for most of that time, in a state of martial law with the army searching residences without any regard to search warrants.
You're talking out of your ass here. Besides the fact that it was law enforcement doing the searching and not "the army" (the National Guard mostly established perimeters and provided air support like the Blackhawk helicopters; they had no arrest authority) they didn't need search warrants because of the emergency exception to the warrant requirement, and because, as far as I'm aware, everyone whose home was searched in the Watertown area gave them consent to search due to the gravity of the situation (not that they would have needed it on account of the emergency situation, but still).

Dzhokhar is found hiding in someone's boat in a back garden less than a kilometre away from the shoot-out with the cops. The police and army messed up big time here, and Dzhokhar was found by the resident who owned that boat, after the resident left his property to check on his boat when the stay-indoors order was lifted.
They didn't mess anything up, they had a boatload (pardon the pun) of crowded and occupied territory in the middle of a major city to search. House to house searching and urban combat are the most dangerous and time intensive kind.

Because the guys from Psych, The Mentalist, and Criminal Minds who notice miniscule things with one glance and record it with their photographic memories aren't real, and besides, they hadn't searched that house.

The police had hundreds of occupied homes to search over dozens of square miles during the middle of a crisis. You make it sound as if it was as simple as finding Waldo or doing a word search. Just because you can't conceive of these things with your less than even a layman's understanding of them doesn't make them suddenly become a conspiracy.

Don't be like one of those "loose change" doofuses. Skepticism and questioning the status quo is okay, but what you're doing is actually the opposite of skepticism, despite how conspiracy theorists like to portray themselves.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; April 21 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:41 AM   #209
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
From an earlier recent statement by Big Daddy:

And the press conference is....
"We fucked up. We have no clue where the terrorist is, or how the fuck we missed hitting him last night. Our bad, go about your way." - Mass State Police

That makes me feel safe.

Would you care to amend said statement? I admit when I heard the curfew was being lifted, with no solid reports of a capture at the time, that didn't sit well at the time. Could it have been a tactic of some kind?
No. I'm good with what I said, and stand by it. He got out of the search area and after the illegal police state was lifted a citizen found him in his boat.

So the cops fucked up big time.
I usually hate these things, but you deserve it:

I'd ask you to do us all a favor and think before posting again, but you actually did get a chance to think this time and decided to double-down on the stupid, so I'll just ask you to please shut up instead.

Now we wait for Dennis Lehane to write the novelization.
Talking to Wolf Blitzer (who really should be the terrorist with that Die Hard villain name) he said he'd be fine with writing an article (and as Tora Ziyal posted he already did), but that he wouldn't write a novelization because he's too close to it and "it's not really his style" (his words).
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:26 AM   #210
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Nice that the mods here can act like assholes. Do you get a trolling warning for that?^

The cops missed. The lock down didn't work, he was hiding in the boat outside the lockdown area. Once the martial law was lifted and people went out is when someone saw the blood and called.

I like this article on some weird site...

http://www.albanytribune.com/1904201...tial-law-oped/

What if they didn't find him? They just lifted the "lockdown" and pretty much went "We didn't get him, whatever, go out enjoy the day, don't mind the fact it's not any safer". There was never a plan when locking everyone down. What if he was found in Hartford the next day, would you lockdown every city until you find ONE person?