Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 17 2013, 12:56 PM   #16
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Phaser Settings - When did they use one option over other?

Timo wrote: View Post
And the very few times we have seen wide beam or multibeam modes, they have been with the stun setting - allowing us to think that a technological limitation indeed exists.
Not in all of the few the times wide beam/multibeam was shown to be stun-only. "The Enemy Within" had Sulu heating up rocks. It is more likely that wide-beam loses its effectiveness with range as I do not recall instances of it being used further than 20-30 feet.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

Ah, too bad - because a range limit would not explain why wide beam wasn't used to thwart the various frontal assaults of the TNG era... Those all involved an exchange of fire just a few meters before the attacking horde hit the defense line.

Indeed, widebeam might be tactically the most effective at point blank ranges anyway, utilized like a claymore mine to deliver a devastating surprise strike that demoralizes as much as it destroys.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Pauln6
Commodore

We know that phasers don't have unlimited power - the landing party phasers in the Enemy Within were almost drained of power just from heating rocks. Wide angle drains the batteries so it's not practical for extended firefights IMHO.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

That shouldn't be a major problem. Ron Tracey killed at least hundreds with just a single phaser and two, possibly three exhausted power packs. His method of killing left bodies, suggesting either a TNG type kill shot, a TOS type stun followed by Kohm knifework - or massive vaporization of thousands, leaving a few hundred Yangs panicking and easy prey for Kohm spears and swords.

Whichever the method, this sounds very much like widebeam or multitarget firing (since we have a somewhat clearer picture on what sort of an attack the Yangs would have mounted), and should easily cater for the stopping of any and all of the "massive" assaults seen in later Treks, as they only involve dozens of attackers at most.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:48 AM   #20
blssdwlf
Commodore

Don't forget the TOS phaser can be set to kill and leave a body - see "The Conscience of the King". Also, we don't know what the battery status was of the phasers from "The Enemy Within", only that one "quit on us" - reason not specified. And then there is "The Omega Glory" where 5 phasers (4 drained) held off or killed thousands of attackers.

I'd argue that the TNG phasers or TNG continuity phasers might not have had the same capabilities as the TOS ones.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:02 PM   #21
JessDD
Lieutenant

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I always figured that there was a "light stun" setting that only incapacitates people for a very short period of time, a less painful version of a Taser.

I always wondered that. Did getting stunned actually cause you any physical pain, or was it just a loss of physical control of oneself?
Old April 20 2013, 09:38 PM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

JessDD wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I always figured that there was a "light stun" setting that only incapacitates people for a very short period of time, a less painful version of a Taser.

I always wondered that. Did getting stunned actually cause you any physical pain, or was it just a loss of physical control of oneself?
I've seen quite a people getting Tased on TV on those various "caught on camera" shows, and it seems to cause both physical pain and a loss of physical control.

In comparison, we've seen phasers set on stun either make a person very groggy and docile (like Professor Crater was in TOS' "Man Trap") or knocked completely out cold.