Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 20 2013, 08:38 PM   #76
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: What is "canon?"

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

There's a street to cross? Do I have to renounce one to like the other? Sounds like religion to me. And all this time I thought I was just watching TV and movies.
Exactly, I don't get this talk of people "bailing" and becoming Star Wars fans or whatever, as if you can only be one or the other. I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, a Star Wars fan since 1977 and a Doctor Who fan since around 1987. All at the same time. Does that make me some kind of heretic?
Yes. But you're in good company.
Old April 20 2013, 08:39 PM   #77
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

If you were introduced to Star MAPS in 1980 instead of Star Charts, you'd have a different opinion of them!

And this is coming from...an Andorian? That's Epsilon Indii VII, not a planet orbiting Procyon! See, it's these little things which hurt the most...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:40 PM   #78
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

What I'd like to hear from people is not what they think canon is, but why it matters -to them-. So what if a novel they liked isn't "official". Does it matter?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:45 PM   #79
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
What I'd like to hear from people is not what they think canon is, but why it matters -to them-. So what if a novel they liked isn't "official". Does it matter?
Not to me. Its all make believe. It only matters what I like and what entertains me.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:47 PM   #80
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
They do 'Treknical' stuff all the time over in Fan Art, there's the Starfleet Museum website. Not to mention numerous fan films that continue to get made without interference from CBS.

As far as being a fan, I'm a fan because I like Star Trek, I'm not going to go be a fan of another franchise because I disagree with some of the decisions of CBS/Paramount. If people are that easily swayed, they likely weren't really fans to begin with.
As soon as Fan Art hits the printers and is sold at cons--Paramount's Death Soldiers will start marching! They Police this stuff, that's what happened to zine sales at cons...

There's actually another breed of fan alive today, sparked By today's greedy attitudes... These are the humanoids who only think of buying Trek merchandise because it will go up in value and they'll be able to re-sell it and make a profit on it... Doesn't matter what it is, it's just $$$ to them... So it's no wonder that people will wait hours to Pay actors for their autographs if it means in turn making a profit... Not all Ferengi have big ears...

And regarding this:

"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy

That sounds like a sales pitch for Abrams' movie/s!
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:54 PM   #81
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
As soon as Fan Art hits the printers and is sold at cons--Paramount's Death Soldiers will start marching! They Police this stuff, that's what happened to zine sales at cons...
And the problem is?

Companies pay CBS good money for the licenses to the Star Trek property and it's CBS' job to protect the market.

The tech fans are free to continue they just can't sell their work.
Old April 20 2013, 08:55 PM   #82
sojourner
Admiral

What's with the random capitalization and ... ?
Old April 20 2013, 09:02 PM   #83
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

They do 'Treknical' stuff all the time over in Fan Art, there's the Starfleet Museum website. Not to mention numerous fan films that continue to get made without interference from CBS.
As soon as Fan Art hits the printers and is sold at cons--Paramount's Death Soldiers will start marching!
You do understand the difference, don't you?

Edited to add: Oops! BillJ beat me to the point.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; April 20 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Jonas Grumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:36 PM   #84
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

As nearly as I can tell, they want to know if it's "really" part of the overall story/universe or if subsequent stories are free to ignore it. If the latter, why waste time reading it, no matter how enjoyable and/or entertaining it might be on its own terms?

I don't quite get it, but that seems to be the attitude.
Old April 20 2013, 09:56 PM   #85
Danger Ace
Commander

I take All of Star Trek in as a vast multiverse of Treks. Some things fit better than others.
I think you took the long way 'round to just saying, you take everything at face value whether it fits or contradicts. I don't happen to agree with that POV, but it is no more or less valid than my opinion.

I am old-school on "canon" - pretty much the TV and films. As for novels, only the adaptions of those TV and film offerings.

Too much goofiness in too many of the non-adaption books with too little oversight in "canonical" details. I mean there is nothing in "Black Fire" I would want to embrace as "canon."

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:26 PM   #86
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I read the books and I watch the TV series/movies. All I want to be is entertained. If they don't agree with each other, no big deal. If Joe Fan wants to hock his fanzine at a con, I don't care, I wouldn't buy it anyway. The "official" stuff makes for good reference and usually avoids editorializing.
Old April 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #87
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I read the books and I watch the TV series/movies. All I want to be is entertained.
This.
Old April 20 2013, 10:52 PM   #88
Bumbles861
Admiral

I read the books and I watch the TV series/movies. All I want to be is entertained.
This.
Yup, this. I just want a good story. If it meshes, great, if not, no big deal - I can take it as a stand-alone.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #89
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

There's a street to cross? Do I have to renounce one to like the other? Sounds like religion to me. And all this time I thought I was just watching TV and movies.
Exactly, I don't get this talk of people "bailing" and becoming Star Wars fans or whatever, as if you can only be one or the other. I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, a Star Wars fan since 1977 and a Doctor Who fan since around 1987. All at the same time. Does that make me some kind of heretic?
Yes. But you're in good company.
I suspect that the Star Wars vs. Star Trek rivalry is largely a myth. Most science fiction fans have probably enjoyed a fair amount of both, as well as ample amounts of Planet of the Apes, Terminator, Aliens, The Matrix, and probably Harry Potter as well.

They're not sports teams. You don't have to root for one against the other.
Old April 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #90
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Too much goofiness in too many of the non-adaption books with too little oversight in "canonical" details. I mean there is nothing in "Black Fire" I would want to embrace as "canon."
I thought Black Fire was fun.

Doubly awesome was McCoy's parody in Prime Directive - "Black Ire"