Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 19 2013, 05:59 PM   #2116
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. What a book! I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it. I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the Maddaddam trilogy, The Year of the Flood. Atwood is an amazing writer. I thoroughly enjoyed every page.
Old April 19 2013, 07:36 PM   #2117
Reanok
Commodore

I finished reading Startrek TOS novels Legacy by Micheal Jan Friedman and Twilights end by Jerry Oltin. I liked both books the stories had space exploration and science being an important part of both books. It's one of the main reason which I really enjoyed reading these books for the first time.I just started reading Starttrek Voyager Children of the storm by Kirsten Beyer.I really liked the other Voyager novels she's written.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 04:52 PM   #2118
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Just posted my review of John M. Ford's How Much for Just the Planet?.
Old April 20 2013, 05:09 PM   #2119
Christopher
Writer

^Interesting interpretation of the book. I don't think I've heard it stated before that HMFJTP was Ford "thumbing his nose" at Paramount's licensing restrictions. I thought it was just that he wanted to defy expectations like he'd done in The Final Reflection. I'm wondering where you got your information from.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:02 PM   #2120
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Hmm, I was mostly reporting on my own impressions. For example, I say the story plays "as though" it is Ford's response to the restrictions. But you are right about some of the phrasing I used. I've re-written the "final thoughts" section to more accurately reflect that these are my impressions of what the novel represents, rather than fact. Thanks for the feedback!
Old April 20 2013, 06:54 PM   #2121
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Knowing Mike Ford, it's entirely possibly that he was just amusing himself . . . .

Also, this was back before TNG, right? Back when David Hartwell was editing the books? I'm not sure how stringent the licensing restrictions were back then . . .
Old April 20 2013, 07:36 PM   #2122
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Also, this was back before TNG, right? Back when David Hartwell was editing the books? I'm not sure how stringent the licensing restrictions were back then . . .
It came out in October '87. I think Hartwell was long gone by then -- that was around the time when Karen Haas or David Stern would've been editing.

But October '87 was the same time that TNG premiered, and nine months before the first original TNG novel. So it definitely came from before the Roddenberry/Arnold crackdown on continuity. Heck, it came out right between The Romulan Way and Bloodthirst, and just six months before Time For Yesterday, so that puts it right in the heart of the most continuity-heavy period of the '80s. And there were definitely books published after HMFJTP that did make use of Ford-style Klingons, as late as Rules of Engagement over two years later.

So I'm sorry, Kertrats47, but there's no way your interpretation of the book can work. Paramount absolutely was not cracking down on Ford-style Klingons or anything else in Trek-Lit continuity at the time -- heck, there was no reason to, because TNG hadn't even premiered yet when the book was written. I think you're going to have to rewrite your review.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:45 PM   #2123
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I'm currently reading Matched by Ally Condie. I just got too bogged down in Cold Equations and ended up grinding to a halt. Decided a break was called for. I might try to finish the last book after I've read a couple palate-cleansing, non-Trek stories. So far, I'm enjoying Matched.
Old April 21 2013, 09:30 PM   #2124
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
So I'm sorry, Kertrats47, but there's no way your interpretation of the book can work. Paramount absolutely was not cracking down on Ford-style Klingons or anything else in Trek-Lit continuity at the time -- heck, there was no reason to, because TNG hadn't even premiered yet when the book was written. I think you're going to have to rewrite your review.
Thanks for your guidance in this issue, Christopher. Based on reading a number of online reviews and opinions concerning How Much for Just the Planet?, I had come to the erroneous conclusion that Paramount had nixed the idea of a sequel to The Final Reflection due to artistic differences. I have edited the review to reflect the fact that this is not the case, and I've also added an acknowledgement for your feedback, which helped me to learn that. Thanks again.
Old April 22 2013, 03:08 PM   #2125
Garrovick
Commander

Currently reading:
Shell Game (TOS #63) by Melissa Crandall
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman
Love's Labour Lost by William Shakespeare
Metamorphoses by Ovid
Legacy: Forgotten Son by Warren Murphy and Gerald Welch

Over the last week, I completed:
Relics novelization by Michael Jan Friedman
Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman
SCE #2: Miracle Workers (various authors)
Nightshade (TNG #24) by Laurell K. Hamilton
A Choice of Catastrophes by Michael Shuster and Steve Mollman
Old April 23 2013, 04:21 PM   #2126
Markonian
Captain

Garrovick wrote: View Post
Currently reading:
How do you find it so far?

I loved it for the Heroic Age stuff (was reading Beowulf in parallel) and descended upon The Left Hand of Destiny afterwards.

TLHD was epic and I enjoyed both action and characterisation (including new characters like Pharh) though I was disappointed somewhat that there was no reference to the revelation of Kahless.
Old April 23 2013, 07:38 PM   #2127
Garrovick
Commander

Markonian wrote: View Post
Garrovick wrote: View Post
Currently reading:
How do you find it so far?

I loved it for the Heroic Age stuff (was reading Beowulf in parallel) and descended upon The Left Hand of Destiny afterwards.

TLHD was epic and I enjoyed both action and characterisation (including new characters like Pharh) though I was disappointed somewhat that there was no reference to the revelation of Kahless.
Well, as of today, I am a little shy of halfway through the book (which I have never read before), but I'm quite enjoying it so far. The Heroic Age sections are definitely more interesting than the "Modern Age" sections, which to me, so far, seem to be yet another version of the "Picard and Worf have to team up to save the Klingon Empire from itself" scenario which has been done a little too often for my taste. That having been said, I do reserve the right to change my mind as I get further in

It's definitely an improvement over the previous Friedman novel I read, Crossover - I found that one to be just a bit disappointing.
Old April 24 2013, 05:34 AM   #2128
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Finished reading:
  • "Cat & Mouse" by James Patterson....(*ugh*)
  • The two Batgirl graphic novels: "Reflections," and "Knightfall Descends." (The second one was an improvement over the first, but it ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, so, someday, I'll have to read the entire 52 series - Batgirl related - to give a review of the entire series).
  • The third "Judge Dredd Case Files" book. He is pretty much one-dimensional and many times unlikeable, the women are usually blond, beautiful, and killed in some manner (especially if they're judges). The one black character, Judge Giant, speaks in 1970s jive. The future environment, overall, is bleak. Still, I'm curious to see what future issues bring.
I'm looking to read "Star Trek" by Alan Dean Foster to get ready for the awesomeness that is coming later on this year with the sequel to the 2009 film. I am also looking to read the next Alex Cross novel "Pop Goes the Weasel" even though Patterson has been batting 1 out of 4 with me, currently.
Old April 24 2013, 09:03 AM   #2129
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Finished Foundation by Issac Asimov. I enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more in the series. Now for Greg Cox's new book The Weight of Worlds.
Old April 24 2013, 01:23 PM   #2130
Lonemagpie
Writer

Just finished Alfred Hitchcock And The Making Of Psycho by Stephen Rebello, which was a pretty good retrospective/behind the scenes study of Hitch's pivotal movie. Nicely told, if a little over-sycophantic in places. It makes me want to see the movie again, and indeed makes me want to see the "Hitchcock" movie that was based on the book.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote