RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 739
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 20 2013, 07:32 AM   #1
tippy
Ensign

Terrorism/Bombings

In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, will Harrison's terrorist actions/bombings in the movie be too much to stomach?
tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:40 AM   #2
yenny
Captain

Re: Terrorism/Bombings

tippy wrote: View Post
In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, will Harrison's terrorist actions/bombings in the movie be too much to stomach?
Maybe to some? But not to me. I'm not going to see the movie, until after it comes on DVD.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:38 PM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

I've been thinking about this, but do the two really compare? What happened in Boston was at a public event with innocent civilians present while Harrison seems to be targetting Starfleet facilities and Starfleet officers. While I'm sure parallells will be drawn, but if there were any serious similarity the movie's release would already be pulled/postponed.
Old April 20 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Probably, for the people who were directly affected by the Boston bombings.

As for the rest, the movie is 3-4 weeks away. For better or worse, I think most people will have moved on, their attention focused on other things.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I don't think that it will really effect movie goers more. Unfortunately, terrorism is so commonplace now, and a part of everyday life, that I don't think this particular plot point will stand out more to people because of the Boston bombings.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Dark Knight Rises did a billion dollars worldwide even after the tragedy in Colorado. I don't think the Boston attack will dampen the Into Darkness box office.
Old April 20 2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Perhaps.

Cumby has said something about John Harrison - he's trying to make a case that Harrison is sympathetic, that he has reasons for doing what he did, that he is not "really" a terrorist. I hope he's not actually trying to tell us that we should take Harrison's side, but there we are.

These Russian dudes would no doubt claim that they had reasons for doing what they did. So by presenting a fictional character - John Harrison - in a sympathetic light, the film might be seen as downplaying the obvious evil and violence of the real life Boston bombings. (I'm just going to assume that Harrison causes more deaths and injuries in this film than the Russian guys did in Boston.)

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Flake
Commodore

Based on cumbys ship wrecking a number of huge skyscrapers and apparently taking everyone by surprise I think it's safe to assume tens of thousands of deaths.

Nowhere near neros death toll though!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

To some, but this is a very touchy subject for many Americans, 9-11 was only twelve years ago and it still hurts many of us.

This Trek and it's effects on the national conversation will be fascinating.
Old April 20 2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Timo
Admiral

Are movies featuring terrorist bombings actually so uncommon nowadays? And I mean movies where terrorist bombing is an amusing, entertaining plot element unrelated to the 21st century United States.

It seems to me that all sorts of "non-contemporary" entertainment pieces from the past five years, from Watchmen to Sherlock Holmes, still revel in the concept of a bomb going off and killing hundreds or thousands and thus establishing the evil nature of the adversary for good. It may even turn out the bombing was actually a "good" thing in the end (as in Watchmen). It doesn't seem to be a big deal at all.

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited by Timo; April 20 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Art imitates life. Too much to stomach? I doubt it. People are resilient, though I imagine there will be a small number of people in Boston who lived through the bombings as victims or spectators for whom Harrison's London bombing may bring back memories.
Old April 20 2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I just watched "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" again. Should they have pulled that episode in the 60s because racism and race riots and such hit too close to home--and might disturb some viewers?

People always say that Trek needs to be topical. Sadly, what's more topical these days than terrorism?
Old April 20 2013, 04:30 PM   #14
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps.

Cumby has said something about John Harrison - he's trying to make a case that Harrison is sympathetic, that he has reasons for doing what he did, that he is not "really" a terrorist. I hope he's not actually trying to tell us that we should take Harrison's side, but there we are.

These Russian dudes would no doubt claim that they had reasons for doing what they did. So by presenting a fictional character - John Harrison - in a sympathetic light, the film might be seen as downplaying the obvious evil and violence of the real life Boston bombings. (I'm just going to assume that Harrison causes more deaths and injuries in this film than the Russian guys did in Boston.)
1. They're not Russians.
2. Why would you equate "Harrison is a sympathetic character" with "he's trying to tell us that we should take Harrison's side"? One needn't agree with a character to be able to sympathize. If the actor and writers are able to make him a sympathetic character in spite of some of the things he's shown to do, say or express, then that's just good drama.
Old April 20 2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Everyone has reasons for what they do. The most "successful" terrorists in history killed thousands, something usually accomplished only by garden-variety nation-states in the pursuit of some policy goal
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote