Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 20 2013, 02:59 AM   #46
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

Re: Sternbach blueprints question

graffy wrote: View Post
Given the back and forth we've had in the hull thread, I don't know that I'd consider the hull lines representative of the actual thickness at *any* particular point.
The deck plans and cutaways and such were never really meant to represent real-world construction schematics. The Illustrator line weights were chosen from an artistic standpoint only. Most everything I did in the deck plans was intended as an item locator, more like icons on a general diagram. I'd have to be paid a ton more money to make sure that an NN pt line actually measured out to some real number of feet or meters.

Rick
Old April 20 2013, 06:01 AM   #47
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I hope we see the whole enchilada some day, looks nice Rick!
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:34 AM   #48
graffy
Ensign

The deck plans and cutaways and such were never really meant to represent real-world construction schematics. The Illustrator line weights were chosen from an artistic standpoint only. Most everything I did in the deck plans was intended as an item locator, more like icons on a general diagram. I'd have to be paid a ton more money to make sure that an NN pt line actually measured out to some real number of feet or meters.

Rick
Yeah, I had more or less assumed as much. I've been toying around with building Enterprise D in Blender just as a fun little architectural side project. Figured maybe I'd try to lay out the framing on the blueprints in Inkscape first, just to see if I could make it all fit... It's a bit of a trick interpreting the frame and hull thicknesses from the tech manual and trying to put together a mental picture of the cross-section. Thus far, I've concluded that determining the hull thickness is more or less a creative exercise. So be it - that's most of the fun, anyway.

Thanks,

Joel
graffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:19 PM   #49
blssdwlf
Commodore

Hi Rick - would a reasonable extrapolation of the thickness of the hull come from a combination of the view you provide (below) and observation of the thickness of the window frames from say, "Ten Forward" or the "briefing room" scenes from the show? Or are those rooms with windows just happen to have unusually thin hull sections?

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
The deck plans and cutaways and such were never really meant to represent real-world construction schematics. The Illustrator line weights were chosen from an artistic standpoint only.

Rick Sternbach wrote:
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:50 PM   #50
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Couldn't you use Q-Who to get a "guesstimate" of hull thickness? It looks like a few inches of hull backed by a foot or so of "stuff"...

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x16/qwho_hd_262.jpg
Old April 20 2013, 05:39 PM   #51
Albertese
Commodore

HarryM wrote: View Post
Couldn't you use Q-Who to get a "guesstimate" of hull thickness? It looks like a few inches of hull backed by a foot or so of "stuff"...

I remember seeing this when I was a kid and it aired for the first time thinking, "Holy crap! the Borg just did that!"

Season 2, right? which means I musta been about eight years old? Funny what sticks with you over the years...

--Alex
Old April 20 2013, 06:15 PM   #52
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Yes, I remember being stunned by it as well, and impressed with the FX, nice work.
Old April 20 2013, 06:19 PM   #53
graffy
Ensign

Heh. How is it I don't remember that one? I know I was avidly watching by season two...

I think I've more or less concluded the hull thickness can wildly vary, and I don't even need TV show screncaps to defend that. There seems to be plenty of room in the tech manual description to interpret the hull thickness a variety of ways. In fact, the only real conclusion I feel comfortable with is that it can vary between a foot to four feet... (and perhaps even twice that) depending on what part of the hull you're looking at.

I'm itching to take a stab at laying out some framing members in Inkscape... After following Havoc92's build of the FJ plans (he did the bones last), I think it's probably the place to start after building the hull shell and breaking out the decks...

Personally, I think a 3D view of the skeletal structure alone would be pretty cool.
graffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:01 PM   #54
blssdwlf
Commodore

That's beautiful HarryM. Excellent memory!

edit: Huh, is that like the 2nd time we've ever seen a toilet? (other than one from ST5?)...
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:49 PM   #55
publiusr
Commodore

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post

I'd have to be paid a ton more money to make sure that an NN pt line actually measured out to some real number of feet or meters.

Rick
You deserve it. Thes Dot.com billionairs need to give guys like you and Aridas and others money--I am serious. Steve Jobs was influenced by Whole Earth Catalog. Ed Tuft and others should be sought out by kids like Zuckerberg.

If I had his money, I would fund things like sailing ship replicas--but especially folks in the visual arts to do what they love--all mortgages paid so they may spend the rest of their lives creating--even if they weren't doing a job for me.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote