RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Posts: 5,359,241
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 559
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 19 2013, 11:14 AM   #61
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Don't you dare, Moffat. Don't. You. Dare.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...-of-the-Finale
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 11:22 AM   #62
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

You can't exacty stop him
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:30 PM   #63
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander
 
calamity_si's Avatar
 
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

New photos from the set of the 50th anniversary special! I can't tell everyone how exited I am to see the great DT back in his 'Who' outfit!

May contain spoilers: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-annive...nite-47874.htm
calamity_si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:31 PM   #64
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Don't you dare, Moffat. Don't. You. Dare.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...-of-the-Finale
What's the betting that the secret is exactly why he uses the name of the Doctor?
__________________
"Two things have always been true about human beings. One, the world is always getting better. Two, the people living at that time think it`s getting worse."
Penn Jillette.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:21 AM   #65
Iamnotspock
Captain
 
Location: Bristol, England
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

It's only what's been signposted for the last five years; "River, you know my name... There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could."

This is Moffat we're talking about, though; the man who said the Doctor who got shot and killed by the Astronaut was DEFINITELY HIM. Well, it was, but not in the way we thought. He's a master of subterfuge and misdirection - he's said the Doctor's greatest secret WILL be revealed, but he hasn't said to whom. He respects the series and its history (despite what some think) and there's no way he'll undermine the whole show by revealing its fundamental mystery. He's been at pains, with the whole Trenzalore/Silence plot, to point out that it MUSTN'T be revealed! If it is, Silence Will Fall (i.e. there'll be no more show)...
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:02 PM   #66
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
It's only what's been signposted for the last five years; "River, you know my name... There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could."

This is Moffat we're talking about, though; the man who said the Doctor who got shot and killed by the Astronaut was DEFINITELY HIM. Well, it was, but not in the way we thought. He's a master of subterfuge and misdirection - he's said the Doctor's greatest secret WILL be revealed, but he hasn't said to whom. He respects the series and its history (despite what some think) and there's no way he'll undermine the whole show by revealing its fundamental mystery. He's been at pains, with the whole Trenzalore/Silence plot, to point out that it MUSTN'T be revealed! If it is, Silence Will Fall (i.e. there'll be no more show)...
He could whisper it to River, who'll look amazed and awed, but the audience won't hear it and nest the Doctor will swear her to tell no one his name. She will say yes, which must be the truth, and we get to keep on wondering 'Doctor Who'. Or some variation there of, so the mystery remains. Whatever, I doubt we'll learn his name.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:02 PM   #67
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Not sure what the fuss is to be honest. The Doctor's name is uh... The Doctor? He's gone entirely by that name for 10 of his 11 incarnations, it was only the young First that presumably had a different one before. I think his birthname is utterly irrelevent and uninteresting a mystery.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:35 PM   #68
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Are we looking at this too literally? Isn't the out here more of a meta-commentary in that 'Eleven' might actually be 'Twelve' and that would set up the most of who was actually 'nine' who turns out to be the John Hurt character that some people are already hinting/guessing is a missing version of the Doctor?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:36 PM   #69
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
He could whisper it to River, who'll look amazed and awed, but the audience won't hear it and nest the Doctor will swear her to tell no one his name. She will say yes, which must be the truth, and we get to keep on wondering 'Doctor Who'. Or some variation there of, so the mystery remains. Whatever, I doubt we'll learn his name.
Which would also fit with her future self whispering it to him when they first meet...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:42 PM   #70
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Are we looking at this too literally?
I think so. I mean, unless his "real name" turns out to be The Master or Davros or something, who really cares?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:37 PM   #71
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Are we looking at this too literally? Isn't the out here more of a meta-commentary in that 'Eleven' might actually be 'Twelve' and that would set up the most of who was actually 'nine' who turns out to be the John Hurt character that some people are already hinting/guessing is a missing version of the Doctor?
I'll go with most of what they throw at us regarding Doctor Who because I love the character so much. But I think this revelation might be a bit hard for me to swallow. So the last two Doctors have just been lying about how many past selves he's had?

OK, so rule one is the Doctor lies (one of Moffat's additions to the character that I really dislike), but it would really change what we know about the character and the show. I'm not sure it'd sit well with me.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:45 PM   #72
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Aldo wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Are we looking at this too literally? Isn't the out here more of a meta-commentary in that 'Eleven' might actually be 'Twelve' and that would set up the most of who was actually 'nine' who turns out to be the John Hurt character that some people are already hinting/guessing is a missing version of the Doctor?
I'll go with most of what they throw at us regarding Doctor Who because I love the character so much. But I think this revelation might be a bit hard for me to swallow. So the last two Doctors have just been lying about how many past selves he's had?

OK, so rule one is the Doctor lies (one of Moffat's additions to the character that I really dislike), but it would really change what we know about the character and the show. I'm not sure it'd sit well with me.
Lying or don't know thus setting up the special?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:07 AM   #73
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

You're saying someone* may have deliberately erased all memory of this unknown previous self from the Doctor's brain? Possible, I suppose (Lord knows he's had amnesia enough times), though you'd think regeneration would erase any such mental blocks. Then again, there's always the Silence...

* I say someone because if the Doctor was able to deliberately erase his own memories like that, he'd have burned his original name out of his brain eons ago. (What better way to keep the ultimate secret?) Actually, that'd be a nasty twist to the season finale - the Doctor's asked the Big Question, and he answers truthfully: "Even I don't know." Alas, him telling River negates that possibility...
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:35 AM   #74
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Watch it be "The Valeyard"

heh, i dunno, all i think of to be witty
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:35 AM   #75
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Are we looking at this too literally?
I think so. I mean, unless his "real name" turns out to be The Master or Davros or something, who really cares?
Yeah. If he has a generic alien sounding name like Filleaster Altobar or whatever, then there's no point in even saying it. Well, unless Moffat wanted to make the point that having a mystery surrounding the Doctor's name is silly and that the REAL mystery should be such and such.

Or there could be a reason that the Doctor can never speak his own name without facing terrible consequences. That could be interesting- an ancient evil will be released when the name of the Doctor is spoken aloud, or something more Moffaty.

Or maybe there is a mystery surrounding his back-story that he hasn't even solved yet. They did make a point of showing us that the Doctor has been carrying around his own baby crib/cot for 1,000 years and then pointed out to the audience that it has Gallifreyan writing on it. Perhaps baby Doctor was found in a cot with the words "Run you clever boy and remember" written on it so they called him Rycbar and he stole a Tardis and ran... but he still doesn't know what he was supposed to run from or remember. But Clara is the key!

Or they could just pick a name mythological name like God or Death or Lucifer to fuck with the audience.

Or they could name him Oswin Geronimo. I'd buy Moffat a drink if he did that! Just a thanks for the sheer entertainment value it would bring to the internet.

I just hope there is something after all the build up.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.