Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 17 2013, 01:18 PM   #31
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Starship crash sequence from the MTV Awards

Just a quick note; anyone else reckon that that white torpedoey looking thing being hoisted up in that photo is actually the 'Genesis' Torpedo? Being used to create 'New Vulcan' perhaps?
calamity_si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:35 PM   #32
yenny
Captain

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Grup wrote: View Post
Alcatraz is 3 miles from San Fran according to Google maps.
Alcatraz is somewhere in Germany according to Apple Maps.
Wrong Alcatraz.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Timo
Admiral

Yeah, we're talking about General Alcatraz, El Presidente Mucho Supremo of San Theodoros. Also known to have founded a Swedish dance band and inspired a European airline merger, ultimately defeated by his fiendish rival General Tapioca and thus dooming Swissair. Also, a type of castle in Spain.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #34
Franklin
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Not that far - the swimming leg of the current "Escape from Alcatraz" triathlon is 1.5 miles. If you were to head straight across the island toward Fisherman's Wharf, it might be a little bit less than a mile.
From the angle of the hit, swerving aside, it looks like the ship is heading to the Pier 39, North Beach, Embarcadero Dr. area.
Old April 17 2013, 03:20 PM   #35
yenny
Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
Not that far - the swimming leg of the current "Escape from Alcatraz" triathlon is 1.5 miles. If you were to head straight across the island toward Fisherman's Wharf, it might be a little bit less than a mile.
From the angle of the hit, swerving aside, it looks like the ship is heading to the Pier 39, North Beach, Embarcadero Dr. area.
To me it look like it's heading towards the Marina district.
Old April 17 2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

It's crushing the former site of the giant whale aquarium as a protest by the Department of Temporal Investigations for Prime Kirk's unauthorized incursion into the 20th century.

What?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:04 PM   #37
Franklin
Rear Admiral

yenny wrote: View Post
I don't know. Maybe. It looked to me like it hit the cellhouse straight down its length, going right over the lighthouse. That would mean it was heading more or less southeast, and if it didn't veer at all, it could've conceivably skidded all the way to the Bay Bridge. That's why I placed landfall somewhere in North Beach. Of course, I guess it could've veered even farther west towards the Marina District when it hit the water, but I think it's the poor sea lions at Pier 39 who are going to have the bad day.
Old April 17 2013, 07:07 PM   #38
yenny
Captain

I don't know. Maybe. It looked to me like it hit the cellhouse straight down its length, going right over the lighthouse. That would mean it was heading more or less southeast, and if it didn't veer at all, it could've conceivably skidded all the way to the Bay Bridge. That's why I placed landfall somewhere in North Beach. Of course, I guess it could've veered even farther west towards the Marina District when it hit the water, but I think it's the poor sea lions at Pier 39 who are going to have the bad day.
The guard tower is in the foreground.
Old April 17 2013, 07:54 PM   #39
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Um, no. Not to belabor the point, but unless you see something I don't, that's the light house you're mistaking for a guard tower. The ruins of the warden's house are next to it (just to its left, our right). Those things are really there, today.

Last edited by Franklin; April 17 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 08:13 PM   #40
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Yeah, we're talking about General Alcatraz, El Presidente Mucho Supremo of San Theodoros. Also known to have founded a Swedish dance band and inspired a European airline merger, ultimately defeated by his fiendish rival General Tapioca and thus dooming Swissair. Also, a type of castle in Spain.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo said it, so it must be canon.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:39 PM   #41
yenny
Captain

Um, no. Not to belabor the point, but unless you see something I don't, that's the light house you're mistaking for a guard tower. The ruins of the warden's house are next to it (just to its left, our right). Those things are really there, today.
You're right it is a lighthouse. Well is a photo of San Francisco, with Alcatraz in the foreground. I think the island itself is in the same angle that you said that the crashing was heading.
I hope the link works?

http://youshouldstoprunning.com/wp-c.../Alcatraz.jpeg
Old April 18 2013, 12:08 AM   #42
Franklin
Rear Admiral

You're right it is a lighthouse. Well is a photo of San Francisco, with Alcatraz in the foreground. I think the island itself is in the same angle that you said that the crashing was heading.
I hope the link works?

http://youshouldstoprunning.com/wp-c.../Alcatraz.jpeg
They could also take artistic license with the geography of the area. The ship hits Alcatraz for maximum kewlness effect, then goes ashore somewhere that provides maximum kewlness effect at the expese of geogrpahical accuracy. Wouldn't bother me at all.

The way the ship is falling from the sky, it does look like it's heading more for the area of the Marina Disctrict than North Beach (kind of SW). But the way it hits Alcatraz, it's going SE.
Old April 19 2013, 11:54 PM   #43
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

section9 wrote: View Post
I suspect, but cannot prove, that the ship that hits Alcatraz is NOT the Super Starship that we see in the preview.
It seems to be the same one, see the exact same triangular 'holes' in the saucer:

topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:13 AM   #44
Oso Blanco
Commodore

What? I didn't know that the continental drift had gone that far yet!
Old April 20 2013, 09:01 AM   #45
yenny
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
What? I didn't know that the continental drift had gone that far yet!
There is a Alcatraz in Germany. It's a prison that was turn into a Hotel. It's in Berlin, East Berlin.

Then there's Alcatraz Island.