Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 20 2013, 03:21 AM   #181
gturner
Admiral

Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

not wrote: View Post
Was this a "kaleidoscopic situation"? The police had control of the area, unlike a grocery store or a public space. I'm not so sure his lawyers will not argue this because it will likely be a death penalty case -
And I've just been told that the Miranda angle was bogus, and that the did in fact issue him the warning.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:30 AM   #182
not
Lieutenant Commander

gturner wrote: View Post
Was this a "kaleidoscopic situation"? The police had control of the area, unlike a grocery store or a public space. I'm not so sure his lawyers will not argue this because it will likely be a death penalty case -
And I've just been told that the Miranda angle was bogus, and that the did in fact issue him the warning.
I heard the AG say otherwise at the news conference
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:30 AM   #183
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
From an earlier recent statement by Big Daddy:

And the press conference is....
"We fucked up. We have no clue where the terrorist is, or how the fuck we missed hitting him last night. Our bad, go about your way." - Mass State Police

That makes me feel safe.

Would you care to amend said statement? I admit when I heard the curfew was being lifted, with no solid reports of a capture at the time, that didn't sit well at the time. Could it have been a tactic of some kind?
No. I'm good with what I said, and stand by it. He got out of the search area and after the illegal police state was lifted a citizen found him in his boat.

So the cops fucked up big time.
Old April 20 2013, 03:36 AM   #184
not
Lieutenant Commander

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
From an earlier recent statement by Big Daddy:

And the press conference is....
"We fucked up. We have no clue where the terrorist is, or how the fuck we missed hitting him last night. Our bad, go about your way." - Mass State Police

That makes me feel safe.

Would you care to amend said statement? I admit when I heard the curfew was being lifted, with no solid reports of a capture at the time, that didn't sit well at the time. Could it have been a tactic of some kind?
No. I'm good with what I said, and stand by it. He got out of the search area and after the illegal police state was lifted a citizen found him in his boat.

So the cops fucked up big time.
Crap you are hard on the police; they did a consequential job and it cost some their lives
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:38 AM   #185
gturner
Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
I heard the AG say otherwise at the news conference
I saw there was a news conference where the AG said they wouldn't be issuing the warning, but I don't have a source for where someone said they didn't skip it. However, if the suspect was unresponsive (possibly another injury from the flash bang) it wouldn't matter yet.

I did see this bit:

The President’s High-Value Interrogation Group, made up agents from the CIA, FBI and Defense Intelligence Agency, is on standby and waiting to question the suspect, sources tell ABC News.
Waterboarding, electrodes to the genitals, sleep deprivation: He'll talk.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:39 AM   #186
arch101
Fleet Captain

I agree- the cops got lucky. I have to say, though, that these guys were armed and extremely dangerous. Its a miracle more police didn't meet the same fate as poor Officer Collier. Most of the police involved were in mortal danger, at least for awhile. I still wonder if the brothers left any more bombs around. Assume the doggies will be busy sniffing the city for the next few weeks.
Old April 20 2013, 04:56 AM   #187
Nick086
Commander

Russia what a country, before we were getting their criminals inside the country now were getting their terrorists.
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 05:21 AM   #188
Death
Admiral

I wonder how busy the Boston maternity wards will be in nine months from tonight.
Old April 20 2013, 06:06 AM   #189
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

^ Nothing different will be noticed.

It's like the time there was a long blizzard and started reporting on how births went up something like 2.6% for the day and the damn media went "Oh people getting down". But then people looked into it and it was within the margin of error.
Old April 20 2013, 09:44 AM   #190
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, that was certainly one of the most amazing events I've ever witnessed. And to see it all play out in places I know and that are a relative stone's throw from where I live is very surreal. A historic terrorist manhunt in Watertown, of all places? The terrorist is taken to Mt. Auburn Hospital, a small facility normally anonymous in the shadow of big guns like MGH and NEMC (well, he was later transferred to BI). If this was a movie, it would be considered far-fetched.

But I'm really impressed with how the people handled it and how the hordes of law-enforcement people worked together to track him down and bring him in. It was an unprecedented situation and it was handled as well as could possibly be. Even the loud, obnoxious media contributed.

Now we wait for Dennis Lehane to write the novelization.

But there are still four people dead and dozens maimed and scarred for life. For no reason, other than there are ideologies in the world that warp people's minds and turn them into killers.
Old April 20 2013, 11:59 AM   #191
Ln X
Fleet Captain

I've found a picture of what appears to be the only one of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev leaving the crime scene, it appears that he is not carrying his bag which is at last the first genuinely suspicious image of our suspect. It's in the second main picture in the article in the link below.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...044413005.html

Now if only the pictures of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planting the bombs, or dumping their rucksacks, or planting those pressure cookers would surface on the internet, then they would be as good as guilty. Surely the numerous cameras upon the buildings, and the hundreds of people around, would have taken at least a couple of snapshots of the Tsarnaev's brothers planting those bombs?

I haven't managed to find any yet...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 12:14 PM   #192
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

I would be astounded if these men were innocent, after all the drama they caused. Due process must be followed, but there's no question as to their guilt ....
Old April 20 2013, 02:52 PM   #193
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
But I'm really impressed with how the people handled it and how the hordes of law-enforcement people worked together to track him down and bring him in. It was an unprecedented situation and it was handled as well as could possibly be. Even the loud, obnoxious media contributed.
The collaboration between agencies was very impressive.

Now we wait for Dennis Lehane to write the novelization.
He's already written an op-ed piece for the NYT.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 04:08 PM   #194
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
I've found a picture of what appears to be the only one of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev leaving the crime scene, it appears that he is not carrying his bag which is at last the first genuinely suspicious image of our suspect. It's in the second main picture in the article in the link below.

Now if only the pictures of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planting the bombs, or dumping their rucksacks, or planting those pressure cookers would surface on the internet, then they would be as good as guilty. Surely the numerous cameras upon the buildings, and the hundreds of people around, would have taken at least a couple of snapshots of the Tsarnaev's brothers planting those bombs?

And you never will.

The FBI has the video(s) of them placing the bombs and then exploding soon after. They will obviously never release them because of the horror captured. But the FBI came out the other day and went something like, "This is them, there are no doubts in our minds. We are releasing this mini video and pictures because those are the best to look at their face", but they have a ton more images than the few released.
Old April 20 2013, 04:26 PM   #195
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post

Perhaps they are MI-6 agents too.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote