Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 18 2013, 01:49 PM   #436
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

diankra wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The Web Planet, which meant every time there was a scene on the surface of the planet, I think my eyes are fucked or my glasses are fucked cos of them having smeared grease on the camera lens to give the look of a weird atmosphere...
Get it over and done with, like going to the dentist. It's not that bad. It's pretty bad, but not that bad. Not mostly.
There's even a few good bits each episode. At least until part six. That's.... well, only 25 minutes till The Crusade. You can do that. Just grip the handrest hard... Bite down. Tell yourself it'll soon be over. And if that doesn't work, remember Time and the Rani and tell yourself that one day it'll be worse, so be grateful for now.
Oh there are worse stories...

Still it's The Crusade next, hurrah!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:12 PM   #437
diankra
Commodore

While we're on The Web Planet, did you know that the Animus was Margaret Thatcher's voice coach? Bizarre but true - Catherine Fleming was the voice coach who taught Thatcher to lower her register from shrill housewife to that deep, authoritative tone we all remember... and which is suspiciously familiar in some ways.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:33 PM   #438
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I finished Genesis of the daleks. It was a good story, although it felt padded out at times (and I think it set some kind of world record for the number of times the main characters in a story get captured). Next up is Revenge of the Cybermen.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:39 PM   #439
Lonemagpie
Writer

diankra wrote: View Post
While we're on The Web Planet, did you know that the Animus was Margaret Thatcher's voice coach? Bizarre but true - Catherine Fleming was the voice coach who taught Thatcher to lower her register from shrill housewife to that deep, authoritative tone we all remember... and which is suspiciously familiar in some ways.
No, I don't think I knew that - it explains a lot!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 10:15 PM   #440
Lowdarzz
Captain

Vengeance on Varos (Sixth Doctor).

I'd heard that this one was considered controversial at the time it aired but I'm not sure what the fuss was about. Sure, the Doctor made a flippant remark after a couple of guys fell in an acid vat but then again the Fifth Doctor shot one of the cybermen multiple times at close range.

I enjoyed the story, though Jondar and Areta became superfluous in part 2. Sil was a rat bastard and fun to watch.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 10:48 PM   #441
Starkers
Admiral

Cyberman, evil emotionless killing machine two blokes in Varos? Two blokes doing their jobs!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #442
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
Battlefield, I like Ben Aaronivitch's work, especially his Rivers of London books.

Some of the dialogue is great in this story plus the Brig is in it, I still don't like Banberra though.
Shame.
Indeed, shame! Brigadier Winifred Bambera was a wonderful character!

Aldo wrote: View Post
Remembrance of the Daleks

First time viewing here, and I enjoyed it a lot. Outside of The Five Doctors it's also my first time seeing Daleks in the original series, and I think they might even be more terrifying here then they are in the new series. I know this serial has ties to An Unearthly Child but I have yet to view that particular serial, or anything with the first Doctor for that matter.

They do gloss over this a tad, but the Doctor committing mass genocide is a pretty dark and scary place to take the character. Granted it's probably glossed over because it was the Daleks, and he did manipulate Davros into doing it...
The issue of the Doctor, mass genocide, and the Daleks has been explored ever since Genesis of the Daleks, when the Doctor has it in his power to completely and forever destroy the Daleks before they ever really become Daleks. He hesitates, torn by the question "Do I have that right?"

It's a powerful scene, and in my opinion is one of THE defining moments of the Tom Baker era.

The last story I watched was The Robots of Death, on Netflix. However, I've been buying some of my favorites on Amazon - all 6 Key to Time stories in one set; ditto the E-Space stories, and the Keeper of Traken/Logopolis/Castrovalva arc...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:27 AM   #443
Aldo
Admiral

^^^Thanks for the info. I'm slowly working my way into the Doctor's past, but it's slow going. Fun, but slow going

I haven't watched it yet, but I just picked up Doctor Who: The Beginning, DVD set which collects the first three stories of the first Doctor. I'm so excited this is the first time I'll be watching the First Doctor (not counting The Five Doctors which as we know wasn't even Hartnell). I can't wait.
Old April 20 2013, 01:43 AM   #444
Timewalker

You're welcome. Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor, and I am co-admin of a forum called Who On Earth Is Tom Baker. But the Hartnell stories were wonderful, too - especially the historical ones. I highly recommend The Aztecs, in which the Doctor nearly finds himself getting married! (seems he didn't realize that offering a lady a cup of cocoa isn't quite so innocent in some cultures... )

Richard Hurndall did a good job in The Five Doctors. I read somewhere that he played another role in a Doctor Who story previously, but don't recall which one.

Old April 20 2013, 02:01 AM   #445
Aldo
Admiral

I've only seen two Tom Baker stories: The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis. They were my first foray into classic Who so I probably didn't enjoy them on the same level I would now. Back then it was a huge change (at least for me) from nuWho. I should revisit them now that I have a better appreciation of the classic show and can appreciate the stories despite the low production values.
Old April 20 2013, 02:11 AM   #446
Timewalker

Low production values???! Okay, some Tom Baker-era stories are lamentably low-production (The Power of Kroll comes to mind; that was ludicrous), but the ones you named are really not "low." Trust me, you need to see something as silly as some of the early Hartnell-era stories to reach the epitome of "low."

But I'm assuming you're not too impressed with the visuals of the planet Logopolis? I wasn't either, but the important thing about that story is that it was Anthony Ainley's first full story playing the Master, introduced Tegan as a Companion, and was Tom Baker's final story. I bawled like a baby throughout the regeneration scene.

Old April 20 2013, 02:59 AM   #447
Aldo
Admiral

I would wager it's been a good seven or eight years since I watched the Baker serials I have. So my impressions of them back then would most certainly not be my impressions of them now. And don't forget I've been going through the McCoy stories, and a few of his stories (especially "Delta and the Bannerman") have a very low rent quality to them, especially compared to some of the earlier stuff.
Old April 20 2013, 04:18 AM   #448
Lowdarzz
Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
Cyberman, evil emotionless killing machine two blokes in Varos? Two blokes doing their jobs!
I don't know, that cyberman in Earthshock seemed pretty emotional to me.

Besides, the Doctor did actually kill either of those workers. One tripped and fell in and then proceeded to pull in the other. Then again it does beg the question, if the Doctor values life so much in other incarnations, how does the Sixth shrug it off so easily?
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 05:15 AM   #449
Timewalker

Aldo wrote: View Post
I would wager it's been a good seven or eight years since I watched the Baker serials I have. So my impressions of them back then would most certainly not be my impressions of them now. And don't forget I've been going through the McCoy stories, and a few of his stories (especially "Delta and the Bannerman") have a very low rent quality to them, especially compared to some of the earlier stuff.
Ugh. I really don't care for the majority of the Sylvester McCoy stuff. The actor himself is an interesting, personable man (I met him in Spokane back when he was doing a publicity tour of the PBS stations right after taking over as the Doctor; a friend and I took a fast trip down from Calgary and spent the weekend in Spokane)... but his stories were not very good. I'm one of the few people I know who actually enjoyed Paradise Towers, and Battlefield was terrific.

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I don't know, that cyberman in Earthshock seemed pretty emotional to me.

Besides, the Doctor did actually kill either of those workers. One tripped and fell in and then proceeded to pull in the other. Then again it does beg the question, if the Doctor values life so much in other incarnations, how does the Sixth shrug it off so easily?
The Doctor can be forgiven for his actions in Earthshock, in my opinion. Considering that it was an extremely violent and stressful situation, as Surak said: "The cause was more than sufficient."

(to mix fandoms for a moment )

The Sixth Doctor's personality was ascerbic, self-centered, and a bit crass at times. He was the Doctor who sometimes deliberately set out to shock people - by his choice of clothes, his rude manner, and his lack of sensitivity. So it wasn't wrong, necessarily - it was just another part of the Doctor's psyche that happened to manifest more strongly in that incarnation.

Old April 20 2013, 02:50 PM   #450
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The Trial of a Timelord: The Ultimate Foe

A seriously underated chapter of ATOATL, was enjoyable. I then watched pretty much every special feature on the disc, I wish that Colin returned for the final regeneration episode offered to him.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote