Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which Treks do you like? tick all that apply
The Original Series 58 80.56%
The Animated Series 28 38.89%
The Next Generation 54 75.00%
Deep Space Nine 55 76.39%
Voyager 32 44.44%
Enterprise 32 44.44%
The TOS movies (I-VI) 58 80.56%
The TNG movies (VII-X) 31 43.06%
The Reboot movies (Star Trek + Into Darkness) 37 51.39%
Trek novels (any series) 33 45.83%
Trek comics (any series) 16 22.22%
Reference books/Technical manuals 29 40.28%
Games 18 25.00%
Fan Fiction 10 13.89%
Fan Films 8 11.11%
Other (please specify) 7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 14 2013, 04:48 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: What Treks do you like? The ultimate Trek popularity contest!

BillJ wrote: View Post
I like it all to some degree.
You took me answer, so I'll just say, "Same here".
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

I find the novels can be a bit hit or miss. For every good one there are several insomnia-inducing yarns. I usually do a bit of research so that I'm only reading the better ones.
Old April 14 2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Galaxy Quest.
Cheeky wench!

Galaxy Quest does share a certain quality with TOS that I think separates TOS from the rest of Trek: It is endlessly rewatchable.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; April 14 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I am so unique and individual. I ticked 6 boxes and managed to vote for the top 6 options...
Old April 14 2013, 08:44 PM   #20
CaptPapa
Commander

Anything having to do with The Only Crew . . .
Old April 16 2013, 11:59 PM   #21
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

All the series and the films with the exception of the Abramsverse (I'm trying to come around to them, but I just don't dig them all that much--hopefully Into Darkness will be a pleasant surprise).

Haven't read many novels or reference books since I was a teen, but I always enjoyed them.

Some of the games have been absolute classics and I've enjoyed several that I've played.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:39 AM   #22
Third Nacelle
Captain

I've never read any of the novels or played the games, but I've seen every episode and movie at least twice. Voted for all the live-action stuff but the Abrams movies. I just can't get into them. ST09 reminded me of a comic book movie.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:24 PM   #23
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Random_Spock wrote: View Post
Voted for TOS, TNG, Voyager, the movies from the Original series and the TNG ones along with the reboot ones .

Loved all of those. On a side note, what's up with the cable channels never showing any Voyager reruns anymore? I'd love to see Captain Janeway again.
For $8 a month you can get a Netflix account and all the Janeway you want, along with all other Trek.... and more TV shows and movies than you could ever watch.
But what do you have to pay for a fast internet connection to watch it on, much less a decent-sized screen...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

The newer, the worse... They all degenerate in time with spinoff series after spinoff series; each one Losing a certain element of writing, characterization, and taste in general... You can actually see it here in the poll results... TOS was the best, E the worst... TAS had better writing than Any episode of E...

The less said of Abrams' things, the better...

The novels have also degenerated to pale imitations of what they once were... The attitude: bigger is better, so they're padded-out with junk just to thicken them, "price" them up...

The less said about the Fall of Treknical books and blueprints the better... The people behind the "official" faire in the last decade simply Don't Get It... THEY JUST DON'T GET IT! Apparently they believe that any slick, glossy, multi-colored pretty drawing is passable... So long as it Looks Good at a glance, there's no need to put one quark of research into it... What we have now are Haynes jokes... There's this Enterprise Workshop Manual which recycles the barebones garbage which any fan knows, and to add further insult to it, I think it was page 7 which transformed me into a raging mugato and made me tear it out with my bare teeth... A certain suitable-for-framing signed photo... Hint: it was Not of Gene Roddenberry... It was followed up by a Klingon Bird of Prey book which just goes to show that They Can Make Up Any Specs They Want To...and to hell with, you know, the Original works which Defined certain parameters like size!

Then we have this thing I just spotted called The Visual Dictionary... I think it should have been named Star Trek For Dummies...

Bottom line: What sells these days are Pretty Pictures... You can write and research all you want but Pretty Pictures are what Rules! And yes that includes CGI...

The dumbing-down of Mankind... At this rate when the Kzinti invade in 36 years there'll be just one brief war and we'll all be meat for the blonde pussies... The consequences of a damanged timeline...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote