A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 19 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Hemlock Grove - Netflix Original Horror serie

Just stopped by after watching the first episode to say that I enjoyed it. Nothing amazing, but it was still enjoyable and I'll be sticking with it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The trailers for this look awful and the reviews are brutal. I'm curious to see how Netflix deals with this should it turn out to be a failure.
Old April 19 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

This is actually the one Netflix show that I'm mildly interested in checking out. I need a fix of fantasy in my life ever since I ran out of Supernatural episodes to watch.

Plus, I'm always a fan of Famke Janssen.
Old April 19 2013, 10:13 PM   #19
JD
Admiral

I watched the second episode, and I'm definitely going to finish the season, I'm very curious to see where they are going with the story.
Old April 20 2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Maestro
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This is actually the one Netflix show that I'm mildly interested in checking out. I need a fix of fantasy in my life ever since I ran out of Supernatural episodes to watch.

Plus, I'm always a fan of Famke Janssen.
I like Famke Janssen too, but I wish she'd be more consistent in her acting. Her character seemed to be all over the place.

I saw the first two episodes last night. I might watch more tonight, but certainly I'll knock off three more before the weekend is up. I like what I see so far.
Old April 21 2013, 07:56 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Where is she even meant to be from? is she meant to be English in this show? Her accent drifts all over the place.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 09:28 PM   #22
JD
Admiral

Yeah, her accent is kind of weird. It's probably the one thing that has bugged me the most so far.
Old April 22 2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Kegg
Rear Admiral

.:: TSN ::. wrote: View Post
And some people also use proxies to get UK (Ireland?) version.
The UK and Irish versions of Netflix are functionally the same. Netflix did sign an agreement with RTE to start airing some of their content (not sure if this includes the acclaimed Love/Hate), but that hasn't started yet.

I do know that there are actually more British series available for US Netflix than its UK equivalent.
Old May 26 2013, 10:58 AM   #24
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Just finished it... that was unsatisfying... I felt we were teased a lot but the pay-off was weak.
Old May 27 2013, 06:07 AM   #25
JD
Admiral

I've watched a few more episodes since I last posted, and while I've been enjoying it, it's definitely much slower and more subdued than I was expecting.
Old June 3 2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I've just finished watching all of it. That was a strange little experience. I felt that it didn't start out that great, but improved with each episode. Really for the entire first half of the season I just felt confused and a little frustrated, but it all started to come together towards the end. The last four episodes definitely held my attention better than the earlier ones did. The ending left enough open for a second season but also provided some closure on current plots.

If I were judging solely on the quality of individual episodes, or how the series started out, I wouldn't rate Hemlock Grove very highly. But taking it as a whole, I thought it was worth my time. Unfortunately most people won't be willing to stick around for several episodes to see if it improves.

Also, if anyone is expecting any sort of realism, not just in the fantasy sense but also in terms of dialogue, characters, settings, etc. then this is not the show for you! People don't really talk this way, teenagers don't act like this, towns don't operate this way, families don't interact like this and Fish and Game representatives don't act this way. Nothing about this show is realistic, but that doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I'd agree, it started off oddly but improved. I guess because it's seen as 12 parts of one film rather than 12 episodes. So it really is each part is a chapter in the story, so there may be boring chapters but the story as a whole was an enjoyable one.
Old June 3 2013, 08:43 PM   #28
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The reveal to me fell flat because vampires are fucking everywhere now - if they had turned out to be mutated badgers or something - well maybe.
Old July 12 2014, 08:33 PM   #29
O'Dib
Commodore

Anyone watched season 2?