RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 521
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 12 2013, 07:52 PM   #106
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Ever like a show but...

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I could take everybody except "Whiny CryBuffy."
I had the same thing with New Galactica and "Whiny CryKara". I REFUSE to call her Starbuck. That's Dirk Benedict, thank you.

Of course, I hated most of the characters on New Galactica, but that damn Kara was the absolute worst.
You liked the show while hating most of the characters? That's impressive.
Well, it's probably more accurate to say that I liked aspects of the show. The truth of the matter is, that if it hadn't been a remake of a show I liked as a kid (and still do), I probably never would have watched it at all.

And let's be honest, not one of those characters were exactly likeable now, were they?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:56 PM   #107
Flibble
Fleet Captain

Major Crimes...hateSharon Rayder but love the rest of the team!
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:02 PM   #108
Avon
Fleet Captain

i don't hate rayder, but i think brenda's a hard act to follow

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:44 PM   #109
propita
Rear Admiral

Overall, I like "The Mentalist," but I can't stand how Lisbon is written. She's written as a total idiot most of the time. I feel bad for the actress.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:36 PM   #110
Starkers
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

I had the same thing with New Galactica and "Whiny CryKara". I REFUSE to call her Starbuck. That's Dirk Benedict, thank you.

Of course, I hated most of the characters on New Galactica, but that damn Kara was the absolute worst.
You liked the show while hating most of the characters? That's impressive.
Well, it's probably more accurate to say that I liked aspects of the show. The truth of the matter is, that if it hadn't been a remake of a show I liked as a kid (and still do), I probably never would have watched it at all.

And let's be honest, not one of those characters were exactly likeable now, were they?
That about sums my relationship with Galactica up...

propita wrote: View Post
Overall, I like "The Mentalist," but I can't stand how Lisbon is written. She's written as a total idiot most of the time. I feel bad for the actress.
Well she's not quite as bad as she used to be, she does get meatier roles and at least she isn't portrayed as being as (likeably) dumb as Rigsby. To be honest whenever another agency or other cops are involved suddenly Lisbon and co look like rocket scientists...much as I love the show I would like more episodes where Lisbon or one of the others cracks the case.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:26 AM   #111
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Mentalist--Odd that the actor playing Rigsby is losing weight and the one playing Cho gaining.
Old April 19 2013, 12:41 AM   #112
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The buddy system?

It's only safe for one of them to lose as much weight as the other can gain and vice versus.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:54 AM   #113
propita
Rear Admiral

Maybe one's eating the other's lunch?
Old April 19 2013, 02:22 AM   #114
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I can't say I loved the show but hated the main character, but I wasn't very fond of Jack for most of Lost's run, though I started liking him better over time. The first time I liked him was when he was Drunk Bearded Jack in the season 3 finale.

I don't "love" True Blood, but I did watch it and mostly enjoyed it (well, maybe not season 2) although I haven't bothered to see season 4 yet, but I probably will once I got the time. However, I find Sookie rather boring - I don't hate her or anything, but she's just not interesting, particularly with her relationship with Bill. Fortunately, most of the other characters are more interesting, like Lafayette, Jessica, Tara, Russell Edgington, Jason's girlfriend Amy in season 1, Sam once he stopped obsessing over Sookie, etc.

I've never liked Kirk much.

On the other hand, Buffy is one of my all-time favorite characters.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I could take everybody except "Whiny CryBuffy."
"Whiny"? Seriously? How on Earth was she "whiny"? Because she wasn't all smiley and happy after she died twice by the age of 20, risked her life every night to save people (and never got anything for that, unlike her Watcher who was at least paid), had to sacrifice people she loved, when her mother died, when her friends got murdered because of their connection to her, etc., all the while she continued to fight and save everyone year after year?

I guess it's just an example of points 4 and 5 in this old list posted once by someone on Livejournal on the topic of the treatment of female characters in fandoms:

1) Any female character who is as capable and unusually talented as the male characters is a Mary Sue.

2) Any female character who is not as capable and unusually talented as the male characters is weak and uninteresting.

3) Any female character who develops new skills over time is a Mary Sue, no matter how she learned those skills or how strong her motivation to do so.

4) Any female character who has bad things happen to her is just trying to be the center of attention.

5) If she ever complains about those things, she's also whiny.

6) Any female character who pursues a male character who initially rejects her is either predatory or pathetic. (Any male character who pursues a female character who initially rejects him is either charming or a tragic woobie.)

7) Any female character who rejects a male character who is beloved by fans is cruel and heartless, whether or not she has any interest in him herself.

8) Any female character who lacks serious character flaws is too unrealistic to be interesting.

9) Any female character who has serious character flaws is unlikable because of them, even if beloved male characters have the same or equivalent flaws.

10) However, the majority of criticisms of her will ignore those flaws entirely in favor of calling her a slut or a whore.

11) Any female character who actually has multiple relationships in canon is a slut or a whore.

12) It's infinitely more important whether a female character is a slut or a whore than whether she commits actual crimes or kills people.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; April 19 2013 at 02:51 AM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:35 AM   #115
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Tim Kang is a crafts services bully?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:55 AM   #116
not
Lieutenant Commander

Jack Bauer's wife on 24; I think one episode she was kidnapped 3 times -it's a Darwin thingy for me
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:08 PM   #117
Starkers
Admiral

DevilEyes, I dunno Buffy is pretty much one of the few female characters I find actively annoying, I think it's less about gender than SMG's portrayal of her.

As for The Mentalist I'd still love to see Owain Yeoman use his natural accent for once

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 05:24 PM   #118
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
DevilEyes, I dunno Buffy is pretty much one of the few female characters I find actively annoying, I think it's less about gender than SMG's portrayal of her.
I don't have a problem with people being annoyed by characters I love, people have different tastes. It's when they characterize them inaccurately, like calling Buffy "whiny" which makes no sense. (Unless you're Cordelia desperately trying to convince herself that she's superior to Buffy - which is where the original "WhinyCryBuffy" comes from - despite the fact that she spent most of her time on BtS having her ass saved by Buffy while complaining - whining, you may say - that her life had become so awful since Buffy moved to town.) When you call "whiny" I would expect it to be someone who has no real problems in their life and nothing really bad happened to them, but they keep complaining about just about anything.

As for the way that gender comes into it, well, I've never seen any of the angsty male heroes who had bad things happen to them called "whiny". Oh look that Whiny Cry Sisko, his wife got killed, boo hoo! Look at that Odo with his identity issues, what a whiner! That whiny Batman, still hung up on his parents' death!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old April 19 2013, 10:37 PM   #119
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
As for the way that gender comes into it, well, I've never seen any of the angsty male heroes who had bad things happen to them called "whiny". Oh look that Whiny Cry Sisko, his wife got killed, boo hoo! Look at that Odo with his identity issues, what a whiner! That whiny Batman, still hung up on his parents' death!
Anakin?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:41 AM   #120
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Anakin?
Anakin's a hero?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch