Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 19 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Finale discussion thread (spoilerific title inside) *SPOILERS WITHIN*

On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered: "Doctor Who?”

"The Name of the Doctor"

Guest Stars:
Alex Kingston as River Song
Neve McIntosh as Vastra
Catrin Stewart as Jenny
Dan Starkey as Strax

Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Saul Metzstein

Official description:
Someone is kidnapping the Doctor’s friends, leading him towards the one place in all of time and space that he should never go.
Other details:
  • The Doctor will go to Trenzalore.
  • At the fields of Trenzalore, where somehow "no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer", someone will ask that question we've heard many times before: "Doctor Who?"
  • The Doctor will obviously be forced to reveal his name (and possibly more info about who he is).
  • Chaos presumably ensues following the big reveal.
  • The mystery behind Clara "The Impossible Girl" Oswald will also be revealed at some point during the episode.
  • Victorian Scotland will be one of the settings of the episode.
  • Moffat: "There's going to be a revelation. I'm not teasing. I'm not wrong-footing you - you're about to learn something about the Doctor that you never knew before. And I think you're in for a shock..." Sounds like more than just his name.
  • We will see monsters known as The Whispermen.
Screencap from the Series 7 part 2 trailer, revealing the Whispermen:
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."

Last edited by Chris3123; April 19 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITH

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered: "Doctor Who?”
I underlined the key parts that will allow him to get around answering.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Hmm, never thought of that. And the prophecy doesn't say that the question would actually be answered, just that it would be asked. If he does die, though, it obviously won't be permanent.

But then the title is "The Name of the Doctor", and "His Secret Revealed" is right there on the official poster. His name not being revealed won't really make sense at this point.
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Old April 19 2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Eh, there's many ways he can reveal his name to River (or anyone) and not allow the audience to hear it. If Moffat is bold enough to tack a name onto The Doctor, and allow the audience to hear it, I doubt anyone could successfully come up with something that will satisfy the audience, and it would be one of the biggest mistakes in the entire history of Doctor Who, IMHO.

Might work out being great, and maybe it's my lack of imagination, but, I seriously doubt it can work out well.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
With the build up, it would be a complete and utter copout to not answer. Nah, I think he'll answer.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Eh, there's many ways he can reveal his name to River (or anyone) and not allow the audience to hear it. If Moffat is bold enough to tack a name onto The Doctor, and allow the audience to hear it, I doubt anyone could successfully come up with something that will satisfy the audience, and it would be one of the biggest mistakes in the entire history of Doctor Who, IMHO.

Might work out being great, and maybe it's my lack of imagination, but, I seriously doubt it can work out well.
That's a good point. But even if we don't hear his name, we will definitely learn a major secret of his.

ETA: Added a couple more episode details to the first post.
Old April 19 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

I don't think a mere name can be that big of a deal, unless it's Jesus or something! A name is just a sound that is associated with a person. The name may well be reveal but I don't think that'll be the big deal.

Who is the Doctor is a deeper question about his past. More much meaningful than a mere name. I think that is the direction they'll go ultimately but they may well reveal the name along the way.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Who is the Doctor is a deeper question about his past. More much meaningful than a mere name. I think that is the direction they'll go ultimately but they may well reveal the name along the way.
Exactly.
Old April 19 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
StCoop
Commodore

I will give every person who posts in this thread one hundred pounds if we the audience hear the Doctor's name being spoken out loud in this episode. (As opposed to him whispering it to River Song.)
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
I will give every person who posts in this thread one hundred pounds if we the audience hear the Doctor's name being spoken out loud in this episode. (As opposed to him whispering it to River Song.)
It sounds much better in American Dollars: $153.51

Seriously, though, after reading yours and Sindatur's doubts, I too am beginning to think we won't hear it. It would be for the better, anyway. The Doctor's name should remain a mystery to the audience.
Old April 19 2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

If we hear a name, it won't be real.

I imagine Clara would say, "You said your name was..." River will say, "No, that's not his name." And the Doctor will say that he needed to say something and, because of some escape hatch to Dorium's prophecy that we didn't know, so he made up something on the spot.

It's a Moffat finale. That's the way these things go.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Starkers
Admiral

I actually thing you're right...of course by posting in this thread consider my bets well and truly hedged
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I've said this before, but I'd rather they did it Neverending Story-style. Just have him yell something unintelligible into the wind.

I'm more interested in the big secret from his past that is supposed to kick off a new storyline.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:55 PM   #14
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

We'll find out four weeks from tomorrow.
Old April 19 2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

I don't think a mere name can be that big of a deal, unless it's Jesus or something!

Mr Awe
His name is Brian, and he's a very naughty boy.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote