Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 17 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Lon Suder
Ensign

Benjamin Benny Russel needs better tales.

I recently fisnished DRGIII's Sisko novels, Rough Beasts, and the Duolology.

What are some of the good SIsko novels? I"ve yet to really read a good one. Are any of the older numbered books worth a good Emisarry tale?
Lon Suder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:51 PM   #2
CNash
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Benjamin Benny Russel needs better tales.

Have you read Unity by SD Perry?
Up Next: Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship (Una McCormack)
CNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Lon Suder
Ensign

CNash wrote: View Post
Have you read Unity by SD Perry?
Yeah, there were like 5 pages of Benjmain. Also the Worlds of DS9 Bajor book was pretty bad.
Old April 17 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I can't think of any novels that are exclusively about Sisko, although Saratoga is pretty good.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Lon Suder
Ensign

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I can't think of any novels that are exclusively about Sisko, although Saratoga is pretty good.
Isn't that book bascially Reunion just search and replaced with DS9 names?
Old April 17 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well for the vast majority of the DS9 novels he's still playing Bajoran Jesus and by the time he does come back he's got another kid and playing family man. Oh he'll pop up in a lot of the novels to help out with the latest problem, but they really don't center upon him.
Old April 17 2013, 09:50 PM   #7
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

^ Sisko was more important to the plots of Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn than Picard was.
Old April 17 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Don't forget that there was the novelization of Far Beyond The Stars. While I haven't read the novel (although it is on my shelf and on my "To Read" list), as I recall the episode Sisko and his 1950's counterpart, Benny Russell, were the lead characters.

But with the numbered novels I don't recall any one particular novel centering him out. Sisko did play big roles in the novels, but it was kind of like he was there, but we need to focus on the rest of the ensemble. The Siege had Sisko in it, but it was more an Odo novel, whereas Bloodletter was a Kira novel and both The Big Game and The 34th Rule were novels about Quark. I do recall that in The Long Night, Sisko is presented as being an amateur historian on the long-lost emperor that people are looking to find in that book, but that's a book where all or most of the cast members seemed to get their own scene.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ Sisko was more important to the plots of Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn than Picard was.
Yeah, this is pretty good Sisko stuff.

I also liked Station Rage, which made an old school mythological throwdown out of a fight between Sisko and a reanimated ancient Cardassian. A little over the top, but fun to imagine Sisko as an Epic Hero.
Old April 18 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Lon Suder wrote: View Post
Isn't that book bascially Reunion just search and replaced with DS9 names?
This made me giggle. It's not actually far from the truth if I'm completely honest!
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:54 PM   #11
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Memory Beta has a quote from the author of Saratoga: "I had so much fun with Reunion I thought I would do it again... I certainly wasn't recycling stuff".

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Sa...l)#Information
Old April 18 2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Obviously it's oversimplifying the matter to call Saratoga 'Reunion with the DS9 characters' - but I suppose two novels written by the same author a few years apart that feature the captain's former crew coming together aboard his new command and being betrayed by one of their number will elicit that reaction from some readers.

But that said I enjoyed both of them, and since I'm assuming that Reunion was successful it made sense to do another featuring the next cast involving the same basic premise.

It's still not in the same league as Voyager's One and Enterprise's Doctor's Orders!
Old April 19 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Another similarity between Reunion and Saratoga:
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Cap'n Crunch wrote: View Post
Another similarity between Reunion and Saratoga:
I didn't think of that!
Old April 19 2013, 03:59 PM   #15
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Yeah, when I read the cover blurb for Saratoga I had the same thought, and sadly after reading it decided I was right. I never cared much for Reunion anyway, I figured out way before the crew did who-dunnit. And when I read Saratoga I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if ... ?" and turned out I was right. Its annoying to read a murder mystery when you figure out the ending long before the characters do, it makes them seem dumb.

The only really good Sisko novel I can think of offhand is the followup to "In the Pale Moonlight" they did a few years back: "Hollow Men"

The real trouble is, the DS9 novels didn't actually start getting good until the DS9 relaunch. Its my favorite TV series, but the tight continuity of the show meant that the novels couldn't really do DS9 justice until they could establish their own continuity free of the confines of the show. And by that time Sisko was "with the prophets." He returned in Unity but then the DS9R kind of fizzled after that.

RBoE is one of the main Sisko-centric stories they've done since then, and yeah, it had mixed reviews. I didn't think it was terrible, but it wasn't great either. Its just a new journey for the character. The Sisko is really not himself right now, he's back in his S1 mindset. I'm confident he'll pull himself out of it eventually.