TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 19 2013, 03:31 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Silliness from Saudi Arabia

Lindley wrote: View Post
The UAE is fairly progressive as middle-eastern countries go. Dubai in particular is very liberal.
Unless you're at the airport and you happen to have a poppy seed clinging to your shoe. Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The UAE is fairly progressive as middle-eastern countries go. Dubai in particular is very liberal.
Unless you're at the airport and you happen to have a poppy seed clinging to your shoe. Linky
There are a few horror stories. It's not like the US doesn't have them too. For the most part it's not a scary place.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

The article in Laser's linky is pretty scary, because you can pick up infinitesimal amounts of drugs just about anywhere. A coworker of mine almost lost his job because a drug dog detected drugs on him. They eventually figured out that the scent was on money in his wallet -- change from when he had stopped somewhere for breakfast on the way to work.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 07:41 PM   #19
sonak
Vice Admiral

Saudia Arabia's sexual politics are beyond the ability of satirists to do them justice.
Old April 19 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
The article in Laser's linky is pretty scary, because you can pick up infinitesimal amounts of drugs just about anywhere. A coworker of mine almost lost his job because a drug dog detected drugs on him. They eventually figured out that the scent was on money in his wallet -- change from when he had stopped somewhere for breakfast on the way to work.
Maybe it happened at terminal 1 or 2. One of those, I forget which, I heard was rather shady. I've only been to Terminal 3 (exclusively Emirates) and I've never seen excessive security or drug tests or whatnot. It's just another airport and passport control point.
Old April 19 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Saudia Arabia's sexual politics are beyond the ability of satirists to do them justice.
American Dad took a decent shot at it.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

There are a few horror stories. It's not like the US doesn't have them too.
Our TSA people may not be saints, but at least we don't arrest people for having .00005 ounces of drugs clinging to their clothes, or call somebody a "drugs baroness" for having taken perfectly legal over-the-counter medicine which happened to have Codeine in it, or for having eaten a fucking poppyseed bun at a cafe at Heathrow several hours before, or (while doing any of these things) force them to sign documents written exclusively in Arabic while screaming at them IN Arabic and not giving them access to, oh you know, an attorney or even a consular official.

Rant over.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 19 2013, 09:52 PM   #23
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Our TSA people may not be saints, but at least we don't arrest people for having .00005 ounces of drugs clinging to their clothes, or call somebody a "drugs baroness" for having taken perfectly legal over-the-counter medicine which happened to have Codeine in it, or for having eaten a fucking poppyseed bun at a cafe at Heathrow several hours before, or (while doing any of these things) force them to sign documents written exclusively in Arabic while screaming at them IN Arabic and not giving them access to, oh you know, an attorney or even a consular official.

Rant over.
You have a skewed perception of the UAE. Those things are not normal.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't be mindful of their particular hangups if you go, of course. A little caution is fine. But by and large it's a very tourist-friendly country.
Old April 19 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Rant over.
May not happen every day, but it does happen. It's happened more than once. And it could happen again - to anyone. Even if you've never touched an ounce of drugs in your life. Did you miss the part where people got automatic 4-year sentences for having stuff clinging to their CLOTHES which happened to waft by? Or the guy who ate a bun and got drug convictions for that? Are you so sure you're above that kind of risk? Think about it.
Old April 20 2013, 01:15 PM   #25
Captrek
Rear Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
http://chennibus.com/wp-content/uplo...aiMarina1.jpeg

Nice skyline. They were smart enough to invest their oil and natural gas money back into their country.
Nice buildings. Where’s all the people?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 06:51 PM   #26
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Rant over.
May not happen every day, but it does happen. It's happened more than once. And it could happen again - to anyone. Even if you've never touched an ounce of drugs in your life. Did you miss the part where people got automatic 4-year sentences for having stuff clinging to their CLOTHES which happened to waft by? Or the guy who ate a bun and got drug convictions for that? Are you so sure you're above that kind of risk? Think about it.
Let me put it this way. I feel safer in Dubai than I do in New York. At least in Dubai I don't have to worry my car window will be broken the next morning if I leave something shiny-looking in it.
Old April 20 2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Rant over.
People have been wrongfully convicted of crimes in the United States, and it's happened more than once. Outlying instances don't establish the standard.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 05:27 AM   #28
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
People have been wrongfully convicted of crimes in the United States, and it's happened more than once. Outlying instances don't establish the standard.
It's one thing to be wrongfully convicted or accused of a crime when there's substantial enough evidence to warrant it. It's another when you're detained and imprisoned for having purchased an internationally legalized medication OTC, because a foreign agency has a highly warped perspective on what fairness and culpability really mean. Oh yeah, and substitute the medication with a poppy seed bagel. Makes even more sense.