MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 18 2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

Since Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness established that
, does that mean that Kirk's Enterprise is the "Enterprise-A"? I mean it's registry is still NCC-1701, but maybe it's official designation is the NCC-1701(a) on paper?

I remember reading somewhere that there was some original intentions of the film makers in the 2009 film to have Kirk's ship be the second Enterprise, an Enterprise-A, but I'm not sure if that was just a rumour?
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:45 AM   #2
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Re: Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

I believe the original idea was to have the TOS Enterprise newly commissioned under April play the role that the Kelvin ultimately played. Studio wouldn't let them do it.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Since Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness established that
, does that mean that Kirk's Enterprise is the "Enterprise-A"? I mean it's registry is still NCC-1701, but maybe it's official designation is the NCC-1701(a) on paper?

Actually, unless I really missed something, April's Enterprise appears only in the flashbacks of Countdown 2 and we never see its registry number.
So it can easily be assumed that it didn't have the 1701. Kirk's is the first 1701.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

In this new continuity, there were other Enterprises between NX-01 and NCC-1701, IMO (or at least one). Starfleet didn't go a century without an Enterprise in service.
Old April 18 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

According to the comic tie-ins, there was an Enterprise NCC-1701 immedately prior to the one seen in the last movie. According to just the films themselves, maybe not, we'll see.

It's worth noting that in Harve Bennett's almost-made movie Star Trek: The Academy Years, there would have been a pre-TOS USS Enterprise commanded by Captain Gregory Thorpe. And of course the Enterprise TV series already squished one more Enterpise into the past of the Trekverse.
Old April 18 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
According to the comic tie-ins, there was an Enterprise NCC-1701 immedately prior to the one seen in the last movie. According to just the films themselves, maybe not, we'll see.

It's worth noting that in Harve Bennett's almost-made movie Star Trek: The Academy Years, there would have been a pre-TOS USS Enterprise commanded by Captain Gregory Thorpe. And of course the Enterprise TV series already squished one more Enterpise into the past of the Trekverse.
The problem (if you can call it that) hangs around TNG and DS9 setting a number of Federation starships named Enterprise. Now that is the "Prime" timeline so it really doesn't matter to the reboot timeline. And even in the "Prime" universe you could probably crowbar in another Enterprise if the Powers That Be really wanted to.

Last edited by SeerSGB; April 18 2013 at 08:35 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
According to the comic tie-ins, there was an Enterprise NCC-1701 immedately prior to the one seen in the last movie.

I've got the comic tie-ins and I didn't see that anywhere at all, just an Enterprise prior to NCC-1701 with no hull registry visible or referred to in dialogue.
Old April 18 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Admiral

Ah, my bad.
Old April 19 2013, 01:33 AM   #9
yenny
Captain

The Enterprise that was built in the prime universe, would still had been built in JJ. alternate universe. It would still have been built and launch in the same time period as it was in the prime universe. It would had the same registry number as the prime universe Enterprise and still would been a Constitution class starship.

Because George Kirk had die when the USS. Kelvin was destroyed? He wasn't there to save the Enterprise from being destroy.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

yenny wrote: View Post
The Enterprise that was built in the prime universe, would still had been built in JJ. alternate universe. It would still have been built and launch in the same time period as it was in the prime universe. It would had the same registry number as the prime universe Enterprise and still would been a Constitution class starship.

Because George Kirk had die when the USS. Kelvin was destroyed? He wasn't there to save the Enterprise from being destroy.
No. The "prime" Enterprise 1701 was built, supposedly, in 2245--that is AFTER the Narada incursion, so there is nothing to require that it be built in the alternate timeline.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:34 AM   #11
yenny
Captain

Ovation wrote: View Post

No. The "prime" Enterprise 1701 was built, supposedly, in 2245--that is AFTER the Narada incursion, so there is nothing to require that it be built in the alternate timeline.
Can you prove the person that designed the Constitution class starships was on the Kelvin and was kill when the Narada attacked?
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:42 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Countdown to Darkness does show April's Enterprise had NCC-1701 for its registry, but this could just be one of IDW's infamous art screw-ups. They used the TMP-TUC design for the Abramsprise in two issues and gave it the registry NCC-1701-D for example.
Old April 19 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Admiral

Aha! My good
Old April 19 2013, 09:46 AM   #14
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Countdown to Darkness does show April's Enterprise had NCC-1701 for its registry,

Can you say where?
Because, as I said in a post above, I only remember seeing April's Enterprise in issue 2 and they never showed registry.

edit: I went back and checked. There is indeed an NCC 1701 on the nacelle. I had completely missed it until now.

Last edited by SalvorHardin; April 19 2013 at 10:04 AM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Ovation wrote: View Post

Can you prove the person that designed the Constitution class starships was on the Kelvin and was kill when the Narada attacked?
What? Why? He doesn't need to have died for ship design after 2233 to be different in the alternate timeline. That's absurd.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote