Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Godless Raven, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This X a billion.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The difference here is that the transporter accident created a new being. Who should have been afforded the same rights as any being in the Federation. How he came to be born is irrelevant. He had the same right to live as any other being, instead Janeway decided to murder him. If Tuvix had volunteered to undergo the reversal process so be it. But he wasn't given a choice.

And from a legal point of view, Janeway was emotional invested in the outcomming hardly impartial. Yes you can argue mitigating circumstances.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish Ransom had called her on this.

"So what, I picked off a few dumb animals, cattle for gods sake, but you murdered a Starfleet officer who asked you not to, when not once have any of these things I've been hunting had the force of will to say "We'd rather you not do this" because they're no smarter or civilized than a rabid badger."

Although if Tuvok was angry with her he wouldn't have gone back to the Resolutions planet to recover Kathy, and if Neelix was angry with her, then he would have sided with Seska in Basics... Or maybe that's why he killed Hogan? A subtle passive aggressive protest of how Kathryn treated him?

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Theoretically Tuvix still existed in the pattern buffer. If it served the story they could have found a way to bring him back. Then everyone would have had their happy ending.

But I suspect that Tuvix would have either suffered cellular deterioration and died anyway, or his annoyingly creepy behavior would have eventually caused the crew to throw him out an airlock.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe he was pissing in her coffee.

6. Guy Gardener

It's pretty clear that Tuvix did not get a full Starfleet funeral, but as his widow, despite that there is no money in the future, did T'Pel get death Benefits, or a stipend, or a pension from the assassination of her husband that she hadn't actually met per se?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My god that would be a great way to bludge off of Starfleet!

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Also, isn't Neelix a resurrected zombie, thanks to Seven's nanoprobes, by this point? Can a zombie really be dead?

9. Guy Gardener

And what about after a War like the Dominion put them through?

But like I said, and we all already knew, there's already no money, and everything is already a privileged handout.

Gogo-Communism!

10. teacake

I would like to volunteer to be the bludger they warn children about.

"She toils not, neither does she spin.." "Look boys and girls, if you don't work to better yourself you could end up like teacake, living on the beach with her replicator and cabana boys.. the SHAME!"

11. Guy Gardener

I'd agree with you if Neelix needed a constant supply of Probes forever, milked from Seven, but it was just a temporary thing.

A band aid.

The Borg are basically Zombies, no?

12. Gov Kodos

A veritable Monster Mash. Neelix didn't put up nearly the stink with transporter resurrection as that time. Second time's the charm, I guess, or he picked up some of that Vulcan stoicism. Or, he just thinks he's one of the undead...

13. teacake

Since he lost his afterlife undead is all he has.

14. Gov Kodos

Probably, why he grew so increasingly blindly loyal to Janeway. She's his vampire queen.

15. Guy Gardener

How do you think Neelix crapping on their religion factored into his new political standing inside that Tallaxian Mining Asteroid?

THINKOFTHECHILDREN!!!

Imagine if Obama or Gillard had been subtly Satanists all along?

16. Gov Kodos

How will they react to a Borg resurrected leader who's been put there by a bunch of aliens who's ship has left a trail of death across the quadrant? They're probably scared shitless to say anything wrong to him. Half the quadrant probably looks on Janeway the way Georgia looks on Sherman. Heck, Sherman and Janeway were both redheads...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Neelix the Heretic would have been worth an episode in itself, right down to the stake burning.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, and does Neelix literally "milk" them from Seven?

Now there's an mental image.

:)

19. teacake

In some tribes in Papua New Guinea it's common for the women to breastfeed baby piglets.

20. Guy Gardener

But there's no wood to make wood from!

Janeway would have had to have gutted his ship of any Federation technology, replicators, transporters, unless she gave him a field commission and ordered him to oversee the the introduction of the mining colony into the Federation.

Seriously, with transporters, their ability to tap that asteroid dry goes form 60 years to 6 weeks, and 5 and a half weeks of that is probably possessing paperwork.

Meanwhile with replicators, if they're mining for something that can be replicated, is it me or have these squireling vermin just massive upswing in their quality of life? They can quadruple their quotas while only needing to apply a ten thousandth the man power digging through rock with a jack hammer requires.

"Yes I am your financial saviour, we can afford to buy a real planet now, so lets just spend our lives from now by the pool getting fat, and there is no good and no enchanted forest, spiritually the universe is devoid of metaphysicality. Please don't hurt me."