Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 18 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Re: My Theory about who Harrison is (Spoiler Alert)

Okay, here's the thing, no matter who he is, they're not gonna make him some "only Trekkie's know him" character. That defeats the whole purpose of ditching the top heavy continuity. The more you overthink this, the more wrong your conclusion is going to be. Whoever he is, he has to be easily accessible to "Joe I. HateStarTrek." And some dude unconscious on the floor of the bridge in Space Seed ain't that guy.

He's either Khan, because everybody's grandmother knows Khan, or he's John Harrison, a new character they created for the movie.
Old April 18 2013, 07:41 PM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

tippy wrote: View Post
Who are those lizard like aliens in the trailer?
If you're talking about the ones I think you're talking about, I'm pretty sure they're helmeted Klingons. These guys?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Ryan8bit
Commodore

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Fact is, villain or not, code-name or not, they DID pick some random background character from TOS; John Harrison.
No they didn't. They just picked a generic name (note the original character does not have a first name). Lots of fans too eagerly try to connect the dots. They think some nobody crewman is going to have significance in a blockbuster movie. They need a reality check. It's either an established character or a new one.

If Orci's comment that the character is canon is to be trusted, then it's likely that Harrison is a pseudonym for a character that's a bit more well known. He's not going to be some nobody.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Jack Frost
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Okay, here's the thing, no matter who he is, they're not gonna make him some "only Trekkie's know him" character. That defeats the whole purpose of ditching the top heavy continuity. The more you overthink this, the more wrong your conclusion is going to be. Whoever he is, he has to be easily accessible to "Joe I. HateStarTrek." And some dude unconscious on the floor of the bridge in Space Seed ain't that guy.

He's either Khan, because everybody's grandmother knows Khan, or he's John Harrison, a new character they created for the movie.
I believe going the Khan route over-thinks it. It doesn't/won't matter one iota to Joe Blow Theatergoer who JH was in TOS, it's just a name to them.

But it is a nod, a to US - honoring the show with a name WE can point to and say, hee-hee, it's that unconscious dude from Space Seed!
Old April 18 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
themadhatter
Ensign

ssosmcin wrote: View Post

Good point. Wrath of Khan is the one Star Trek film I have heard people who HATE Trek say they actually enjoyed. He is the only villain worth hiding to appease the masses, not just fanboys. Otherwise, he is just Harrison.
themadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
He's Khan.
No, he isn't.
You're terribly mistaken. Nothing I can do about that.
Old April 18 2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

But it is a nod, a to US - honoring the show with a name WE can point to and say, hee-hee, it's that unconscious dude from Space Seed!
Right - a "nod" to the three people in the world who had any idea who "Harrison" was.

No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:28 PM   #23
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

If patterns are consistent, such a not would be in line with creating an entirely new planet and calling it Delta Vega.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

themadhatter wrote: View Post
Good point. Wrath of Khan is the one Star Trek film I have heard people who HATE Trek say they actually enjoyed. He is the only villain worth hiding to appease the masses, not just fanboys. Otherwise, he is just Harrison.
Honestly this is why I wished that they had tried to use another TOS baddies in the films during the 80s so the studio could have possibly had at least a few more major baddies to use in the JJ films.

Oh well.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Right - a "nod" to the three people in the world who had any idea who "Harrison" was.

No.
Ha ha ha
And of course they are intentionally making the Dreadnaughtprise look like the profile of doug drexlers refit NX art to pay homage to the hundreds of millions of fans and casual sci fi target demo audience members who would flock in droves to see a big budget extravaganza with Enterprise references

Guys it's Khan, it was announced and lukewarmly confirmed by trekmovie last week or two weeks ago now

They ain't making this movie for Trekkers
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:39 PM   #26
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
Guys it's Khan, it was announced and lukewarmly confirmed by trekmovie last week or two weeks ago now
They've vacillated on this position a number of times, everytime some new source says "It's Khan" or "It's not Khan," so at this point, you really can't take that at face value.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:16 AM   #27
marksound
Fleet Captain

I would not be surprised if the writing team chose a name for the baddie that would cause all manner of internet speculation. "Hey, look up the most obscure character from TOS you can find. We'll call him that and drive the fan boys insane."

This story is probably much deeper than what we've been privy to thus far.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:37 AM   #28
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

it is prob picard from the future gone all evil.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:39 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
If patterns are consistent, such a not would be in line with creating an entirely new planet and calling it Delta Vega.
Nope. A lot more fans recognized that than have a clue who that Harrison nobody was.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 05:58 PM   #30
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Should I be getting nervous about the helmeted Klingons? The more I look at those helmet/mask things, the more they feel like a cheap way to dodge the Klingon head ridge issue. I sincerely hope we get a look at them under the helmets and they look like they did in the recent comics.