Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 18 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Thomas Riker
Commander

My Theory about who Harrison is (Spoiler Alert)

I've been thinking about this for some time and I think I now know who he is.
Harrison is a Klingon.
but he is a Klingon affected by the Augment Virus and/or has been altered to look human a la "Trouble with Tribbles". If he's an augment, then we have our link to Khan.

This explains why part of the movie is set on Q'onos. It also explains why he's referred to as Starfleet's best agent. They mean Double Agent.

It also explains why Kirk refers to the beginning of an all out war. He means with the Klingons.

The scenes where Harrison is fighting/killing Klingons is because even the Klingon Empire want him dead - either because he's an augment/double agent/insane.

What do you all think?

P.S The reason the Klingons wear helmets it because they are augments too. A way for normal Klingons to set them apart.

Last edited by Thomas Riker; April 18 2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Addition
Thomas Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: My Theory about who Harrison is (Spoiler Alert)

I don't think the new Trek movie is likely to reference any Enterprise episode.
Old April 18 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Thomas Riker
Commander

Well Enterprise Episode or Not. It is well established that Klingons imitate humans. Maybe this is the case for Harrison too. Or maybe he's a human imitating a Klingon.
Thomas Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
tippy
Ensign

Who are those lizard like aliens in the trailer?
tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He's not a Klingon.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

John Harrison is really Arne Darvin.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Jesus fuck, you people!

Old April 18 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

He's Khan.
Old April 18 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Garak wrote: View Post
He's Khan.
No, he isn't.
Old April 18 2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes, he is.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Jack Frost
Commodore

I doubt he is Khan.

One thing we seemed to have forgotten is...

The Prime Universe Original Series had a character named "John Harrison" who was NOT Khan. He was just John, a background character seen a couple times going about his routine duty.

A couple weeks back, (I believe it was) Alice Eve said [paraphrased] it was fun watching us freak out over who JH is when the answer was really very simple. Isn't the simplest answer that JH is simply JH... The same character from TOS but, due to changes in the timeline after Nero's incursion, living a different string of life experiences?

I am not saying Khan cannot somehow be involved, just that, given all the evidence we have the likelihood he is Khan Noonien Singh is slight at best.
Old April 18 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Franklin
Rear Admiral

If it just turns out to be, "OMG, he's Khan," then big deal, because whether he's Harrison or Khan, he's obviously a badass and extremely dangerous. Whoever he is, he looks like he'd bitch-slap the Khan from the prime universe and ask him to make him a cup of tea.

As far as I'm concerned at this point, if he's Khan, then there's going to have to be some other big surprising payoff from him being Khan to have made the secrecy (or at least continued denials) make sense. Everyone in the new universe is meeting him for the first time. They know nothing of "Space Seed" or TWOK, so the secrecy behind his real identity has to fit into the story, I hope, and also shock our heroes for some reason. (And I'm assuming it will.)

Last edited by Franklin; April 18 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Ryan8bit
Commodore

The Keeper wrote: View Post
The Prime Universe Original Series had a character named "John Harrison" who was NOT Khan. He was just John, a background character seen a couple times going about his routine duty.
They're not just gonna pick some random background character to be the villain. And they're especially not going to go to great lengths to hide his identity if that were the case.

The one thing the original post likely has right is that "John Harrison" has got to be a cover of sorts. It'd be funny if it weren't though.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:57 PM   #14
yenny
Captain

I doubt he is Khan.

One thing we seemed to have forgotten is...

A couple weeks back, (I believe it was) Alice Eve said [paraphrased] it was fun watching us freak out over who JH is when the answer was really very simple. Isn't the simplest answer that JH is simply JH... The same character from TOS but, due to changes in the timeline after Nero's incursion, living a different string of life experiences?

I am not saying Khan cannot somehow be involved, just that, given all the evidence we have the likelihood he is Khan Noonien Singh is slight at best.
Actually, there were two Harrison. The one that you've refer too; And William B. Harrison, flight officer of the S.S. Beagle.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Jack Frost
Commodore

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
They're not just gonna pick some random background character to be the villain. And they're especially not going to go to great lengths to hide his identity if that were the case.

The one thing the original post likely has right is that "John Harrison" has got to be a cover of sorts. It'd be funny if it weren't though.
Fact is, villain or not, code-name or not, they DID pick some random background character from TOS; John Harrison.

Did they really go to great lengths to hide his identity... I think they revealed it months ago. It was us who could not simply accept that at face value, began theory building.

TrekMovie: A few months back Bob told me that Benedict Cumberbatch’s character would be from Star Trek’s canon. Today we find out that he is named John Harrison. So are both of those things still true?
Alex Kurtzman: Well without revealing too much what I can tell you is that in the same spirit as “can the Enterprise be under water? What does that mean? How are we going to justify this? How are we going to explain it?” We went back and we talked a lot about things that made us want to make the first movie in the first place as fans. And what do we feel was successful for the fans. A lot of that had to do with honoring the history — honoring the show. But we also want to come up with a way to make the stories feel fresh and unpredictable. So without revealing too much, we applied the same thinking to Harrison.
To me this means NuJH is simply TOS JH with a fresh twist.

Thanks yenny.