RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,361
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 454
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 18 2013, 04:44 PM   #16
largo
Fleet Captain
 
largo's Avatar
 
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

casual fans are irrelevant. they don't vote on Trek BBS art contests.
__________________
SIG 1701-A
largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Albertese wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.
Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex
Fine, so let's put it in context as Star Trek fans.

In this context, Reliant herself isn't the beast. The beast is the genetically engineered a-hole that hijacked her. Do you see an image of Khan anywhere? No. Do you see any of his crew? No. What you see here is one Federation Starship firing on (but not yet hitting) another Federation Starship, and, I reiterate, two contemporaneous Federation Starships alone in one shot does not provide enough contrast to name one "Beauty" and one "Beast", no matter how much red lighting you add.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

largo wrote: View Post
casual fans are irrelevant. they don't vote on Trek BBS art contests.
Most Trek fans don't post in trek message boards...

The point is I'm not gonna judge an piece of photoshopped art based on who posts and votes here. It'd be like Egbert giving two thumbs to a movie based on a small of people who go to see it and likes it when everybody else didn't see it.

Last edited by Finn; April 18 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:52 PM   #19
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.
Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex
Fine, so let's put it in context as Star Trek fans.

In this context, Reliant herself isn't the beast. The beast is the genetically engineered a-hole that hijacked her. Do you see an image of Khan anywhere? No. Do you see any of his crew? No. What you see here is one Federation Starship firing on (but not yet hitting) another Federation Starship, and, I reiterate, two contemporaneous Federation Starships alone in one shot does not provide enough contrast to name one "Beauty" and one "Beast", no matter how much red lighting you add.
I got what the image was the second I saw it.

The Enterprise\Reliant battle is probably the most well known Star Trek battle ever. You don't need to see Khan. We're on a Star Trek board and the Fan Art section is populated by people who are so enthralled by Star Trek that they feel compelled to make art about it. The people visiting Fan Art love the show enough to view amateur artwork based on Star Trek. It's safe to say they got what Flux was going for here.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 11:50 PM   #20
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Guys, this is supposed to be fun. No need to argue about his entry. Don't like it then don't vote for it.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:21 AM   #21
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

^^^ Sanest post in this thread. ^^^

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:05 AM   #22
Sarvek
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Oregon, USA
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

This is really good work. Great work Flux Capacitor.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:04 AM   #23
largo
Fleet Captain
 
largo's Avatar
 
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Finn wrote: View Post
The point is I'm not gonna judge an piece of photoshopped art based on who posts and votes here. It'd be like Egbert giving two thumbs to a movie based on a small of people who go to see it and likes it when everybody else didn't see it.
that's quite a different scenario. movie critics are specifically judging a movie for the benefit of their (presumably large and diverse) audience. if you want to take on that aura, that's fine, but i'm tellin' you we're all pretty hardcore fans here.
__________________
SIG 1701-A
largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:20 PM   #24
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain
 
Solarbaby's Avatar
 
Location: solarbaby
View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Its a very cool idea!! Cool art too, but the reliant just isn't looking beastly enough. Fill it with shadows and red light reflecting off the hull and it might help. . Also the phasers don't appear to be actually doing any damage or making any impact. showing the enterprise taking damage and vulnerable beasts up reliant.
__________________
Voice actors needed for Star Trek: Absolution animated series coming 2014
https://www.facebook.com/pages/STAR-...4783277?ref=hl
Solarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:43 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

I like it.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 06:44 PM   #26
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor

Solarbaby wrote: View Post
Its a very cool idea!! Cool art too, but the reliant just isn't looking beastly enough. Fill it with shadows and red light reflecting off the hull and it might help. . Also the phasers don't appear to be actually doing any damage or making any impact. showing the enterprise taking damage and vulnerable beasts up reliant.
That's what I said. I got reamed for it.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.