New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 13 2013, 06:35 AM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Enterprise-C Stories

I would love to see more stories set in The Lost Era time frame. I haven't read Well of Souls, so I can't comment on that version of the Enterprise-C, but I would love to see more of the Enterprise-B crew from Serpents.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I've often wondered what happened to the rest of the Ent-C survivors on Romulus. Sadly, it seems likely that they were all executed after Tasha tried to escape with Sela. (IIRC, the terms of keeping them alive in the first place hinged on Tasha becoming the 'property' of General Volskiar; so once she tried to bolt, they were all probably killed right along with her. I hope I'm wrong about this. )
Old April 14 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Markonian
Captain

In STO (btw, the mission is called Temporal Ambassdor), the Enterprise-C actually does well in battle with the Tholians but also receives some support...

Also, the Enterprise returns to the battle at the end of the mission, of course. I wonder how many timelines they could have crossed between meeting the battleship Enterprise-D and their eventual return to Narendra III?

Unlike on-screen, when ships of different centuries meet and generally crush each other (In A Mirror, Darkly; Star Trek; Mirrored), ships in STO are of equal strength. For example, Klingon D7-class battlecruisers of 2270 are a serious thread to my 25th century state-of-the-art Starfleet vessel (mission Past Imperfect).
Old April 14 2013, 06:52 PM   #19
SicOne
Commodore

^ Ahhhh, I understand now.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:56 AM   #20
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

SicOne wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
"Hour of Fire" in Star Trek: Enterprise Logs, and Vulcan's Heart.

Not literary Trek but good storytelling anway: The Enterprise-C is part of a mission in Star Trek Online. Therein the player encounters she ship in the war timeline again, for the ship ended up there after the events of Yesterday's Enterprise instead of returning to the Romulan battle. Denise Crosby reprises her role as Tasha Yar (alternate) with voiceover.
I'm not very familiar with the ST:Online timeline, but if the Ent-C ended up in in the Online's future-war instead of returning to the 2344 Narendra 3 battle, how did the Federation escape that ongoing war of attrition with the Klingons?

All things being equal, the C showing up in ST:Online's time would be completely outclassed, as it would be generations behind in technology, shields, and weaponry. Not sure what that would accomplish. Not a dig against the people involved with ST:Online, mind you, but an observation relating Ambassador-class capabilities to those of the Online ships.
As I understand it, the crew of the C accidentally got sucked into a future where, continuing on from "Yesterday's Enterprise" the weakened Federation and Klingons were conquered by the Dominion, leaving the Tholians to (among other things) take the C's crew in as forced labourers. The adventure saw the PCs help the C and its crew finally get back to its proper time, restoring

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I've often wondered what happened to the rest of the Ent-C survivors on Romulus. Sadly, it seems likely that they were all executed after Tasha tried to escape with Sela. (IIRC, the terms of keeping them alive in the first place hinged on Tasha becoming the 'property' of General Volskiar; so once she tried to bolt, they were all probably killed right along with her. I hope I'm wrong about this. )
Vulcan's Heart has ten survivors of the C, including Yar who is taken as Volskiar's concubine and Castillo who is accidentally killed by a guar for speaking out of turn. I'm guessing that they were executed, though who knows? Maybe Volskiar was merciful.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:05 PM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Or perhaps Charvanek managed to get ahold of them and let them go. She could have given them some old freighter with clearance codes to get them safely out of Romulan space (just like with Spock).
Old April 17 2013, 06:18 PM   #22
SicOne
Commodore

^ Possibly, but it's unlikely that they (the C's survivors) would have been kept on Romulus. More likely, like the Khitomer survivors Worf found in TNG, they were kept offworld in some remote location and treated well...and surely Tasha was permitted to keep in contact with them, though, so she would know that Volskiar kept up his end of their "bargain". Perhaps at some point the C survivors died off or escaped or something, and that was what triggered Tasha to try and escape with Sela?
Old April 17 2013, 09:13 PM   #23
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

^ Possibly, but it's unlikely that they (the C's survivors) would have been kept on Romulus. More likely, like the Khitomer survivors Worf found in TNG, they were kept offworld in some remote location and treated well...and surely Tasha was permitted to keep in contact with them, though, so she would know that Volskiar kept up his end of their "bargain". Perhaps at some point the C survivors died off or escaped or something, and that was what triggered Tasha to try and escape with Sela?

I could see that happening, too...
Old April 18 2013, 03:26 AM   #24
rfmcdpei
Captain

^ Or perhaps Charvanek managed to get ahold of them and let them go. She could have given them some old freighter with clearance codes to get them safely out of Romulan space (just like with Spock).
I think that unlikely. For starters, the Romulan state did not know about Spock's presence in Romulan space the first time, while it certainly does know about the eight other C survivors. Spock also had a patron inside Romulan society protecting him: after Tasha's execution, their fate will rest in the hands of a Volskiar who isn't depicted in Treklit as a generous kind of person, especially if he's felt himself cheated.
Old April 18 2013, 03:31 AM   #25
rfmcdpei
Captain

And perhaps most importantly, when Guinan raised the issue of C long-term survivors after Sela's first appearance in the season 4 premiere, Picard treated the very idea as unlikely. It's conceivable that C survivors who escaped back to the Federation might be hidden, I suppose, but is it likely?
Old April 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #26
SicOne
Commodore

^ Not likely. All Picard said in the episode with Guinan was that the E-C was lost near Narendra 3, defending the Klingon outpost from the Romulans, and presumed destroyed. But what I want to know is why the Federation didn't declare war on the Romulans for this incident. If they had any kind of evidence that Romulan forces had destroyed the C, it would be a cause for war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire, current (in 2344, that is) difficulties with the Klingons not withstanding. And any Ent-C survivors popping up in the aftermath, whether at that time or years later, would have no reason NOT to tell their tales of battle with the Romulans. There would be no reason that I can see for survivors to stay hidden.
Old April 19 2013, 12:49 AM   #27
rfmcdpei
Captain

^ Not likely. All Picard said in the episode with Guinan was that the E-C was lost near Narendra 3, defending the Klingon outpost from the Romulans, and presumed destroyed.
Actually, no. The script for "Redemption II" portrays Guinan's revelation that there were survivors as a shock.

GUINAN
How much do you know about what
happened to the last ship named
Enterprise?

A frown. Curious question... but he searches his
memory.

PICARD
The Enterprise C? It was lost...
at the battle of Narendra Three...
while defending a Klingon outpost
from the Romulans.

GUINAN
And... the survivors?

He regards her, perplexed. Where is this leading? But
Guinan is an old and trusted friend. He'll follow
along.

PICARD
There were stories... that there
might have been prisoners, taken
back to Romulus. But those were
just rumors.

She moves still closer to him, struggling with
thoughts, feelings, memories... all of them a jumble
that makes no sense. And yet...

GUINAN
There were survivors. And one
of them was Tasha Yar.

Picard stares at her. Is she out of her mind?
This script was performed. I remember seeing it. Stewart portrayed a character who was surprised by the fact that this rumour was true--well, that and the fact that a Tasha Yar was on board.

But what I want to know is why the Federation didn't declare war on the Romulans for this incident. If they had any kind of evidence that Romulan forces had destroyed the C, it would be a cause for war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire, current (in 2344, that is) difficulties with the Klingons not withstanding.
It would be a cause for war, yes, but the Federation could choose not to. In this particular case, at least in the novelverse the attack on Narendra III was the final act of the mad Praetor Dralath, this attack being one of the factors leading to the revolution that installed a much stabler and more moderator Narviat in Ki Baratan. The Federation could have concluded that, with the expansionist party discredited, Dralath dead, and a more moderate regime in power, the costs of a war would have outweighed the benefits. There was already a regime change in Romulus. Why risk a full-scale war?

And any Ent-C survivors popping up in the aftermath, whether at that time or years later, would have no reason NOT to tell their tales of battle with the Romulans. There would be no reason that I can see for survivors to stay hidden.
Picard's treatment of the idea of C survivors as being "just rumors" strongly suggests that any C survivors, even if they did somehow survive Tasha's death, didn't make it outside of the Star Empire's boundaries.
Old April 19 2013, 10:30 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
after Tasha's execution, their fate will rest in the hands of a Volskiar who isn't depicted in Treklit as a generous kind of person, especially if he's felt himself cheated.
I'm sticking with my suspicion that Charvanek could have somehow arranged for their release or escape. She's got connections herself. She couldn't do anything for Tasha, but could help the other survivors. And since she fought alongside them, she'd have every reason to.

As for Picard's skepticism about survivors? Maybe he just didn't know about them.
Old April 20 2013, 08:36 PM   #29
rfmcdpei
Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
after Tasha's execution, their fate will rest in the hands of a Volskiar who isn't depicted in Treklit as a generous kind of person, especially if he's felt himself cheated.
I'm sticking with my suspicion that Charvanek could have somehow arranged for their release or escape. She's got connections herself. She couldn't do anything for Tasha, but could help the other survivors. And since she fought alongside them, she'd have every reason to.
Are those the only factors operating for Charvanek? She's still a loyal Romulan and a high-ranking official of a state that she wants to transform into something better, a state that never did a complete reset after the mad Dralath notwithstanding the desires of Charvanek and (maybe) Narviat. General Volskiar, the man who directed the massacre at Narendra III, doesn't seem to have been tried and purged, but instead remained a powerful figure under Narviat's regime.

Could Charvanek do something for the survivors? Maybe she could. Would she do so if the risk was too great? She might well not. What if, for instance, a vengeful General Volskiar was set on executing the C survivors after Tasha broke her side of thee agreement? Would Charvanek intervene and try to smuggle them out if doing so would create an internal crisis risking her husband's praetorship?

I agree that Charvanek would be concerned about the fate of the other C survivors. I'd even agree that she'd feel bad if something did happen to them, even if Tasha did break her word to Volskiar. It doesn't therefore follow that she'd automatically intervene on their behalf whatever the cost, to her, to her allies, and to the Romulus she was trying to form.

As for Picard's skepticism about survivors? Maybe he just didn't know about them.
That may be a possibility.

However, someone as generally well-informed as Picard thinks the idea anyone survived the C's battle at Narendra III as ridiculous. This suggests to me that C survivors never made it to the Federation: what incentive would the Federation have to cover up the survival of Starfleet personnel captured in battle on the Federation flagship?
Old April 29 2013, 12:12 AM   #30
patspring83
Ensign

How about survivors on narendra III from a away team but no survivers from E-C
patspring83 is offline   Reply With Quote