RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 361
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 14 2013, 12:43 AM   #151
Christopher
Writer

Re: Lost Girl Season 3

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
And whenever I see Bo & Lauren being romantic, I just feel like the two of them are speaking a different language. As nice as she is, Lauren feels like she doesn't fit in with the rest of the group. To make another Buffy comparison, she's the Riley Finn of the group.
I think she's more the Giles of the group, the character whose superpower is being really smart. And I like it that she and Bo come from different worlds, and that Bo likes her because of it. Bo is this ultra-sexy, ultra-charismatic, ultra-tough character -- basically she's both the quarterback and the head cheerleader -- and the person she finds sexiest is the science nerd. How often do you see a show embracing an attitude like that, that smart is sexy?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 09:22 AM   #152
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Almost never. Action and glamour are admired over education and intelligence.

Yeah, I know it was a rhetorical question....
Old April 14 2013, 01:43 PM   #153
Christopher
Writer

^And that's the whole point, that it's uncommon, and thus refreshing to see in this show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:48 AM   #154
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'll admit that, sometimes, it works. Anna Silk & Zoie Palmer seem to be working their asses off to make it work. But I think there's a certain underlying chemistry that's just not there, mostly because I'm still not sure the writers or Zoie Palmer have completely worked out just who Lauren is.

And Lauren is not the Giles of the group. Trick is the Giles of the group. That one is just a little too obvious.
Old April 17 2013, 06:04 PM   #155
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I'll admit that, sometimes, it works. Anna Silk & Zoie Palmer seem to be working their asses off to make it work. But I think there's a certain underlying chemistry that's just not there, mostly because I'm still not sure the writers or Zoie Palmer have completely worked out just who Lauren is.

And Lauren is not the Giles of the group. Trick is the Giles of the group. That one is just a little too obvious.
So Lauren's, what, Robin Wood?

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:12 PM   #156
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

^Lauren is Tara and that makes Dyson = Oz.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:17 PM   #157
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
^Lauren is Tara and that makes Dyson = Oz.
Well, Dyson and Oz are both wolves!

Although Lauren is pretty much the opposite of a witch.
Old April 18 2013, 02:28 AM   #158
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

As far as the love triangle dynamic goes, I suppose Tara/Willow/Oz is a pretty good comparison to Lauren/Bo/Dyson. (Although, I'd say Dyson still has an outside chance, whereas Oz never really did.) Would that mean Tamsin is Kennedy then?

But as far as how well Lauren integrates with the rest of the group, I stand by my Riley comparison. (As much as I liked him, he never fit either.) At her best, maybe she's like Cordelia or Anya. (Decent characters that wouldn't really be spending time with any of the rest of the group if she wasn't dating one of them.)
Old April 18 2013, 03:37 AM   #159
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

As far as the love triangle dynamic goes, I suppose Tara/Willow/Oz is a pretty good comparison to Lauren/Bo/Dyson. (Although, I'd say Dyson still has an outside chance, whereas Oz never really did.) Would that mean Tamsin is Kennedy then?

But as far as how well Lauren integrates with the rest of the group, I stand by my Riley comparison. (As much as I liked him, he never fit either.) At her best, maybe she's like Cordelia or Anya. (Decent characters that wouldn't really be spending time with any of the rest of the group if she wasn't dating one of them.)
Tamsin = Kennedy; yeah, that works.

And you're right. There's nothing wrong with Lauren (or Riley, for that matter) but that chemistry just isn't there the way it is with Dyson or even Tamsin. I also agree that the two actresses are working hard at making it work, but it just comes across as forcing a pairing that feels inauthentic and dull, to me anyway.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:23 PM   #160
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Y'Know, I get why there are so many Dyson advocates, but for the life of me I can't figure out why so many people think Tamsin's good for Bo. If Tamsin spontaneously combusted in front of me I'd look for some marshmallows and a stick.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:44 PM   #161
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Tamsin is growing on me. She's fun and has a certain attitude. That bit where she drunkenly climbed fully clothed into Bo's bubble bath was a hoot.

Bo's response to that move was interesting, by the way. She was guarded and wary ("Tamsin, what are you doing?") but she wasn't obviously freaked-out and/or turned on either. You honestly couldn't tell how she would have reacted if Tamsin had started getting frisky . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; April 18 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:38 PM   #162
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Is it that Tamsin is "good" for Bo or that Bo is good for Tamsin?

In point of fact, I think Bo is "good" for everyone.

She has a tight connection with the light fae through Dyson & Trick, with the humans through Lauren & Kenzi and with the dark fae through Tamsin & (?) Veck.

I think her power to affect them all is the key to her helping the fae, all of them, defeat the Wanderer.

As for Tamsin... she's kind of like the scary version of a fae Kenzi... in that she's irreverent and can drive Bo crazy but can also make her laugh yet not worry Bo so much because Tamsin's a fae in a fae world, not a human in a fae world.

Of course, she's also a fae Kenzi that succubus Bo wouldn't mind stealing chi from once in a while.
Old April 18 2013, 11:21 PM   #163
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Of course, what really matters is not so much whether Tamsin is good for Bo, but is she good for the show. At the moment, she's stirring things up, which is fun.
Old April 19 2013, 04:06 AM   #164
JD
Admiral

I haven't decided what I think of the Bo/Tamsin pairing, but overall as a character I think Tamsin is pretty cool. I've especially liked what they've done with her over the last few episodes, as she started feeling more conflicted about what she's supposed to do to Bo.
Oh, and I didn't notice if anyone commented on the return of Aife. I thought that was pretty surprising reveal that I did not expect at all.
Old April 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #165
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I haven't decided what I think of the Bo/Tamsin pairing, but overall as a character I think Tamsin is pretty cool. I've especially liked what they've done with her over the last few episodes, as she started feeling more conflicted about what she's supposed to do to Bo.
Oh, and I didn't notice if anyone commented on the return of Aife. I thought that was pretty surprising reveal that I did not expect at all.

More importantly... where did she go after she offed the bartender's wife? Is she going to rescue Bo, or is she returning to her husband? She looked suspiciously involved with the bad side in the end.

Wonder who's going to take care of the cabot's (?) 36 children after Aife succukissed her?