Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Closed Thread

Old April 17 2013, 10:49 PM   #46
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: The Hall of Forgotten Fanac: The James Dixon Collection

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post

Okay, let me get this straight: James Dixon's a nut. Franz Joseph's a Kook.
I don't think anyone is saying that Franz Jospeh was "a kook".

What is being pointed out, and correctly so, is that FJ's work had no bearing on the continuity that was, has been, is, and proably will be used in the ongoing production of Star Trek movies and/or television series. And that there have been legitimate reasons for why it happened the way it did.

As far as James Dixon goes: you're own your own there.
Old April 17 2013, 11:01 PM   #47
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Don't remind me that I am wasting my time on here, and why dwell on the past when we have the present? Let's applaud the writers of "Star Trek 2009" for moving Delta Vega from the galactic rim to Vulcan! Or was Vulcan moved From 40 Eridani To the galactic rim?
Why did anything need to be moved? I live near Cincinnati, Ohio. There are other areas in the U.S. that share the name.

In the aborted Abramsverse novel by poster Christopher Bennett he simply surmised that the moon near Vulcan was owned by the "Delta Vega Mining Company".

Explaining away contradictions and inconsistencies in Trek is nothing new.
Old April 17 2013, 11:06 PM   #48
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Okay, let me get this straight: James Dixon's a nut. Franz Joseph's a Kook.
I'm not saying that. I just thought you'd appreciate knowing the behind-the-scenes machinations that led to FJ's books (which I'm a big fan of!) being contradicted.
This just keeps getting better and better all the time.

Let's continue this with Michael McMaster, Geoffrey Mandel, Todd Guenther, and David John Nielson. Or go one-up to Matt Jeffries, Bjo Trimble, and Alan Dean Foster.
I know who all these people are, but I don't see the connection. They all contributed to Trek in ways many people have enjoyed. Mandel (and Doug Drexler and others who made some fanzine manuals) even got to work on the real thing, which I'm sure was a dream come true. ADF is writing the novelization of the next movie.
BTW, "Gene's rules" are 100% bullshit, too, nicely coming After the Great Bird's death, nicely being undocumented beyond hearsay. And above all else, nicely coming Decades After the publication of the Star Fleet Technical Manual.
Good try though.
I don't understand. You're mad that Franz Joseph's work was contradicted, but now trashing the man's claims about GR? Read the link I gave you!
http://www.trekplace.com/fj-kdint05.html#q19
Fans of the Technical Manual, Star Fleet Battles, FASA, and indeed every facet of Tech Fandom in existence prior to Okuda's ascendance would and should be pissed.
Should they really be pissed? I'm a fan of it, I enjoy it. I like seeing the influences of older Trek materials even in Trek's current incarnation. Just like I enjoyed seeing elements of the Richard Donner Superman films in Smallville, or nods to earlier James Bond films in the current ones.

Did you know that according to the (sadly now defunct) Experience the Enterprise holographic tour website, the new Enterprise's warp nacelles were manufactured by FASA's Leeding Engines, Ltd? It came totally out of the blue, and made me smile.
Don't remind me that I am wasting my time on here, and why dwell on the past when we have the present? Let's applaud the writers of "Star Trek 2009" for moving Delta Vega from the galactic rim to Vulcan! Or was Vulcan moved From 40 Eridani To the galactic rim?
I thought that was a sweet namedrop reference to WNMHGB, but for whatever it's worth there's a neat workaround in the novel To Seek a Newer World (currently on-hold), that states that Delta Vega is a generic name given to planets ownes by the Delta-Vega (as in, Delta IV and Vega colony) mining company. Failing that, just look at how many town names are duplicated all over the world. I'm sure the same will be true with planet names in the Trekverse!
Old April 17 2013, 11:16 PM   #49
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

"Delta Vega mining company." (Shaking head over this one)

"No bearing on continuity." (Thinking the first three or four movies influenced by FJ. Also thinking about countless novels and blueprints which evolved from FJ's. I'd probably be in violation of posting rules if I uploaded JD's deck-by-deck text tour of the old Enterprise, as you've already plenty to tear into)

I'm in violation of a (DASA) general order, too, just by being on here. Now I know why That was established.

I honestly don't understand what's happening anymore.

I am guessing that I am getting too old for Star Trek and cannot adapt to what it's become.

Last edited by Lenny Nurdbol; April 17 2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: insanity
Old April 17 2013, 11:20 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I am guessing that I am getting too old for Star Trek and cannot adapt to what it's become.
Adapt to what? It's just entertainment, I don't need every element to mesh I just want Trek to be fun.
Old April 17 2013, 11:37 PM   #51
SicOne
Commodore

Resistance is futile, Lenny.
Old April 17 2013, 11:41 PM   #52
ElScoob
Fleet Captain

Oh dear God. It lives.

Well, I guess we should have known better. Say the name and the beast will appear, wha'?

Well, have fun, James, or Lenny, or whatever name you've scribbled on this particular sock. Go on, teach us the error of our ways for forsaking the sainted FJ.

You do realize no one particularly cares, right?

--g
Old April 17 2013, 11:44 PM   #53
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I look at it as an impossibly vast mythology, not a strict right-or-wrong canon. I enjoy the different ways the Trekverse has been interpreted over the years by fans, and in tie-in novels, sequels and spin-offs. I enjoyed the Spaceflight Chonology and the Star Trek Chonology and the James Dixon fandom chronology too, even though they all work from different and incompatible assumptions about TOS and each include and reject different bits to make their version fit.

I loved Diane Carey's Final Frontier, thought MJF's Starfleet: Year One was okay and enjoyed about half of Enterprise. They're all fun looks at what the past of Trek might have been.
Old April 17 2013, 11:57 PM   #54
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

ElScoob wrote: View Post
Oh dear God. It lives.

Well, I guess we should have known better. Say the name and the beast will appear, wha'?

Well, have fun, James, or Lenny, or whatever name you've scribbled on this particular sock. Go on, teach us the error of our ways for forsaking the sainted FJ.

--g
I think it would be best if we could keep this discussion on the topic of things related to the work James did, and not on the topic of Mr. Dixon himself. I never really had a chance to read much of his chronology, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Old April 18 2013, 12:46 AM   #55
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

ElScoob wrote: View Post
Oh dear God. It lives.

--g
My name is not James.
If it was, I'd be...typing... Like... This...
Just think of me as one of his bright-eyed students who graduated at the top of his class. Yeah, I actually met him, which is probably more than anyone else can say on here.

But you know, you're right, nobody cares. Sorry for raining on your parade and disturbing this private ranting party of smearing the deceased...

I shouldn't talk anyway, I'm only an Ensign or Cadet, whatever you call it. No uniform. No avatar. Nothing.
Old April 18 2013, 01:00 AM   #56
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I think we're done here.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Closed Thread