USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 17 2013, 05:45 PM   #61
throwback
Captain

Re: STID: The 前ther' Starship / [Spoiler]

Or as I like to call it, a BFG. (Doom reference there.)

So, supposedly, this ship requires less crew than the Enterprise to operate it. Then, why was the ship built to resemble a ship that needed crew, considering that these ships had equipment specifically built to house and sustain a crew, why not choose a shape that efficiently maximizes the potential of the automation-ness?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:50 PM   #62
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

I wonder if the 'Mayflower' from 2009 was a precursor to this Monster?
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:50 PM   #63
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

throwback wrote: View Post
Or as I like to call it, a BFG. (Doom reference there.)

So, supposedly, this ship requires less crew than the Enterprise to operate it. Then, why was the ship built to resemble a ship that needed crew, considering that these ships had equipment specifically built to house and sustain a crew, why not choose a shape that efficiently maximizes the potential of the automation-ness?
I'll take a stab at this. The ship is essentially a roving weapons platform, so it does not need a large crew to do its primary job. However, I can envisage scenarios when transporting a large number of troops for a hostile engagement on some distant planet might make this ship useful as a very powerful (and thus not easily dissuaded) troop ship. Such a ship, whatever its ultimate purpose, clearly represents a major expenditure/consumption of resources and it would only be logical for it to have a secondary function to make that investment more manageable. As such, its shape is conducive to transport duties while maintaining its primary purpose as a roving weapons platform.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:00 PM   #64
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
(defying all logic with the new much larger sets including the brewery engineering which is nearly 200 meters long alone and the new hangar which is 3 times the size of the old, not to mention the new much larger portholes and triple decker bridge cap which also has hallways and additional rooms on either side of the much larger bridge )
The actual brewery (Budweiser in Northridge, CA) is not even 200m long. Wide-angle camera lenses typically make small things look big. Besides, it was my impression that JJ's original idea was to make the "lower decks" of the ship look 'rough'. It makes a bit more sense if you imagine ALL of the secondary hull is engineering and the shuttle bay.

Also, the bridge is clearly not under the dome structure in the new ship. It's several decks below, which allows for the corridor access.

In any event, we will agree to disagree. I think it's clear someone (who likely didn't understand how big a "meter" was) screwed up in production with the shuttle bay scene, and everything else has been to justify this fact. Until they state the size of the ship *in the movie*, I'll consider anything else to be non-canon.
Actually the brewery is far bigger than 200 meters I drive by it three times a week. It's a huge complex
And you can disagree but as King Daniel more clearly demonstrates the new huge size makes sense and the original larger canon size actually makes more sense
I don't need to argue this point it's official anyway and it's a reboot as well everything is different
But it's all a world of make believe anyway so if you want your E to be comparable to the originals size then go for it brotha
I prefer mine to be able to crush Picard's puny enterprises into paste though
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:05 PM   #65
yenny
Captain

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
So, if the Enterprise has a maximum warp speed of 8, and the Dreadnought can go three times faster, than what is the warp speed of this ship? Does this mean this ship can go to warp 24? Or am I doing the math wrong?
Warp Factors aren't a linear progression, so I wouldn't think it'd be warp 24.
Around warp 9.95 That will according to the warp chart?
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:37 PM   #66
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There's also the fact that in the first film when they report "at maximum warp", the HUD on the viewscreen behind says "Warp 4.25".

Which is still obviously fast enough to get them to Vulcan in a few hours instead of two days the refit E in The Motion Picture was capable of.

So three times faster would be Warp 12.75 if taken entirely literally, or if it applies just to warp and not manuvering in general.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:38 PM   #67
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

The 366 size looks a little too small to me...but is it just me, or does the 735 look WAY too big?

I like to imagine that the reality is somewhere in the middle. Maybe in the 500's range. But maybe I'm wrong. (And I've heard that the ship's scale was not really very consistent from scene to scene in the last movie anyway...)

ETA: Actually on closer look, the 366 looks *about right*...maybe a wee bit small, that's all. In fact, that's probably closer to how I imagine it in my mind.

Or maybe it's a bit closer to 400...?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:00 PM   #68
throwback
Captain

This ship is classified as a dreadnought. By definition, this ship is a combat vessel with heavy caliber weapons. It is not a transport vessel.

Our current Navy is working on building drone ships that will monitor submarines. Though they have things common to all ships, they are designed differently.

http://www.businessinsider.com/navy-...marines-2013-3

This is an example of an anti-submarine vessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen...al_combat_ship

Now, applying this to Federation starships. This Dreadnought Class starship is essentially a combat drone with limited crew interface, probably for controlling the vessel manually from a bridge. They may need a few decks for a sickbay, quarters, and mess halls. The rest of the ship would be occupied by equipment for the weapons and the engineering.

What do I know about Federation starships? They are composed of two major hull structures: a primary hull which houses and sustains the crew and a secondary hull which houses main engineering. In some classes, these two hulls are condensed into a single form.

So, when designing this new ship, why wasn't the two hulls condensed, so that there would be one hull which housed the main gun? I have seen fictional ships designed like this. In Mass Effect, there are dreadnought type ships which have a single hull housing a massive mass acceleration gun. The gun, or what I have seen of it, for this new ship looks less like a phaser, and more like a mass acceleration cannon. (I am not saying that it is a mac; it might be a fancy phaser cannon that requires rails for the launching of the "shell".)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:00 PM   #69
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
Actually the brewery is far bigger than 200 meters I drive by it three times a week. It's a huge complex
The complex is bigger than 200m, but each of the buildings is about 100m long. This can be checked with google (I did). Any one of those would easily fit inside the secondary hull of a 300m long Enterprise, especially if (a) it wasn't the whole brewery building, and (b) it was only engineering and the shuttle bay in the hull.

I don't need to argue this point it's official anyway
But it's not really official. ILM claims something, but as others have pointed out their numbers bounce wildly around. Add to that the external look of the ship is identical to the TMP refit, down to the round hatches and the portholes. I personally don't trust ILM's artists when it comes to measurements in metric.

Also, somehow it took Spock about 2 seconds to go from the shuttle bay to the bridge on the turbolift in ST09. If the enterprise is roughly 200m tall, that turbolift is moving at quite a clip. Thank god for inertial dampners...

Official is what we see on screen, otherwise people wouldn't dismiss Roddenberry's comments so readily (e.g. Klingon bumps -- he said they always had them, but a canon explanation had to be found anyway...).

But alas. No need to rehash four years ago.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:08 PM   #70
WarpFactorZ
Captain

bryce wrote: View Post
The 366 size looks a little too small to me...but is it just me, or does the 735 look WAY too big?
Yes, 735m is *way* too big. I really don't think most people have a sense of exactly how large 700m is.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:21 PM   #71
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Spock enters a turbollift at the interior end of the shuttlebay, he arrives directly at the bridge. Those two points are on a perfect diagonal, it's entirely possible there is a 45 degree shaft desgined for much more rapid transit from the bay to the bridge.

Which is something I always wanted to see since being opposite ends of the ship, during an emergency, there would need to be something for much faster travel.

The shuttlebay scene, the engineering sections, the bridge exterior 'looking in' shots, the size and amount of the dilitium reactors all show a ship nearly 500 meters long.

The pod landing on Delta Vega is detailed, whereas the object fired from the ship is smooth and bullet shaped, obviously a first stage re-entry covering for the pod Jim is in, maybe even carrying several pods if need be.

Few if any shots give reason to believe this ship is 400m or lower, and far too many give it at 500+
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 12:01 AM   #72
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The makers of the movie say the ship is 725 meters long. They're the people who designed, modelled and detailed it. Who put it in the virtual environments. Yes, there was some camera trickery (the Enterprise was made much smaller to fit over the shipyard location - just as Kirk running into the ice cave on Delta Vega was a child running into a half-sized cave entrance), but 725m is their stated intention. It's ridiculous that some fans seem to think they know better. Who are you guys kidding?
Old April 18 2013, 01:13 AM   #73
Flake
Commodore

If they say over Warp 10 in the cinema my brain will explode for a moment

Ship is 725m long. This forum nit picked the ship size to death for months/years after release.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:19 AM   #74
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
The makers of the movie say the ship is 725 meters long. They're the people who designed, modelled and detailed it. Who put it in the virtual environments. Yes, there was some camera trickery (the Enterprise was made much smaller to fit over the shipyard location - just as Kirk running into the ice cave on Delta Vega was a child running into a half-sized cave entrance), but 725m is their stated intention. It's ridiculous that some fans seem to think they know better. Who are you guys kidding?
This
Nuff said
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:30 AM   #75
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
If they say over Warp 10 in the cinema my brain will explode for a moment
If they don't turn to lizards I'm walking out.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote