Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 17 2013, 01:59 PM   #436
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Can we keep all the HTV criticism to the S2 thread? It's a little annoying seeing the same complaints coming up again and again...
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 07:25 PM   #437
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TrekCore has posted some more beautiful S3 shots on their Facebook page. Man, I sure am going to miss that 6-foot model. The 4-footer in HD just cannot compare.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:34 PM   #438
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook folks - I'll be posting new images regularly there:
http://www.facebook.com/Trekcore
Old April 17 2013, 11:30 PM   #439
Chris2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade

jimbotron wrote: View Post
TrekCore has posted some more beautiful S3 shots on their Facebook page. Man, I sure am going to miss that 6-foot model. The 4-footer in HD just cannot compare.
Yea, but the remastering greatly improves the 4 foot model... I can't wait to do the episode by episode comparison videos for TrekCore...
Old April 18 2013, 02:52 AM   #440
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Does HD always have to make things better or can they make things worse? The reason I ask is because on the Trekcore facebook page, they posted a picture of the Sheliak in HD, and I wonder if the SD version with the blurriness added to the menacing aspect of this alien. Now it almost looks like Armus with no goo and instead of rising from the pond, he's attached to rods. It still looks cool and all, but it's almost like the clarity is taking away something from the oddity of that species.

It's a shame too that Ensigns of Command is not one of the more popular episodes of the season because I would love to hear some behind the scenes stories on this one, especially the concept of the Sheliak. Also, wasn't this the episode with the Voice dubbing for the Goshavin character? That would have been an interesting tidbit too. Granted, maybe they will talk about it, but I doubt it.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; April 18 2013 at 08:14 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:08 PM   #441
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Ensigns of Command is one of my favorites. It seems to be underrated. It's a shame it got bumped from being the season premiere despite it being shot first. Instead they went with the Wesley episode.

I read Snodgrass' original script for EoC a few days ago. Interesting tidbit, the Sheliak were named the Hrathans.

Last edited by jimbotron; April 18 2013 at 10:26 PM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:15 PM   #442
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the CBS-D team probably could have compensated for the clarity of the Sheliak by darkening the shot a bit, but I still think it works fine.

Of course everyone complained about the Armus costume looking cheap too, and I thought it looked as effective as ever in HD, so what do I know? Lol

Chris2005 wrote: View Post
Yea, but the remastering greatly improves the 4 foot model... I can't wait to do the episode by episode comparison videos for TrekCore...
Agreed. Judging from the BOBW shots, I think the 4 footer looks pretty damn good. The only issue I'm concerned with is that it'll probably be more apparent than ever in HD when the episode switches back and forth between models.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:35 PM   #443
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Do we know who's taking on S4 yet?
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:04 PM   #444
Borjis
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Ensigns of Commands is one of my favorites. It seems to be underrated.

That moment when Picard is frustrated by the alien, then walks over to the plaque on the bridge and wipes/checks for dust....I love that.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:05 PM   #445
Borjis
Commodore

Still listed as $ 79 at Best Buy.

I hope they drop it to $ 65 when it arrives (like last 2 seasons)
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:20 PM   #446
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Borjis wrote: View Post
Still listed as $ 79 at Best Buy.

I hope they drop it to $ 65 when it arrives (like last 2 seasons)
The competitive price looks like it'll be $59.99 and $10 off when you buy it with the BOBW disc for $14.99 if the Target ad is anything to go by (worst case, Best Buy price matches of course):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218684

Also, remember that upgrade and save will start on the 21st and lasts through May 11th. If you take in 2 DVDs, you'll get another $10 off ($5 off S3 and $5 off BOBW).
Old April 18 2013, 11:47 PM   #447
Syd
Ensign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlG_dsfwk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaLiAcjnBA

Here are two unboxing videos of TNG season 3 blu ray & The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box sets (not by me btw).

One little new tidbit is that on The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box set is a little note at the bottom of the special features listing which says that 3 seconds of the Best of Both Worlds part 1 couldn't be located and have been upconverted from SD. This note doesn't appear on the season 3 blu ray box set as far as I can see.

Should be interesting to find out which 3 seconds are missing.
Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:07 AM   #448
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Syd wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlG_dsfwk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaLiAcjnBA

Here are two unboxing videos of TNG season 3 blu ray & The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box sets (not by me btw).

One little new tidbit is that on The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box set is a little note at the bottom of the special features listing which says that 3 seconds of the Best of Both Worlds part 1 couldn't be located and have been upconverted from SD. This note doesn't appear on the season 3 blu ray box set as far as I can see.

Should be interesting to find out which 3 seconds are missing.
Thanks for finding that! Sounds like it's a misprint and they mean Part II, since the disclaimer's not on the S3 set. It just had to be on BOBW, right?
Old April 19 2013, 12:27 AM   #449
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Maybe they'll find those three seconds before season 4 comes out, thus giving some people even more ammo to whine about the BoBW solo release being a double-dipping rip-off? One can only hope.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:38 AM   #450
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
Maybe they'll find those three seconds before season 4 comes out, thus giving some people even more ammo to whine about the BoBW solo release being a double-dipping rip-off? One can only hope.
I was thinking that too. If it is from Part II and they do find it before S4 streets, then CBS better be doing a replacement program!

Also I like how this guy in the video goes, "Four colon three? I guess that means it isn't widescreen? I dunno?" And he gets review copies early!!