Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 17 2013, 09:58 PM   #1
billcosby
Commodore

New 'Star Wars' movies will arrive every summer following 'Episode VII

"Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm made a special announcement earlier today at CinemaCon in Las Vegas revealing that they will be releasing a new Star Wars film EVERY summer after the initial release of Star Wars: Episode VII. According to ComingSoon, the studio explained that the upcoming releases will alternate between the new trilogy, which will have its first entry directed by J.J. Abrams, and the highly-anticipated standalone films that are set to follow individual characters within the expansive Star Wars universe created by George Lucas."

More here:
http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...ng-episode-vii

They might be able to pull it off, but I'm incredibly skeptical about the 2015 release. Are they kidding? That's barely two years from now. I just can't see it materializing this soon.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: New 'Star Wars' movies will arrive every summer following 'Episode

billcosby wrote: View Post
They might be able to pull it off, but I'm incredibly skeptical about the 2015 release. Are they kidding? That's barely two years from now. I just can't see it materializing this soon.
Hasn't that been known since the Disney takeover was announced? I agree it did seem a bit soon, just hoping they don't just slap any old crap together to get it released.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Well, if Episode VIII is coming out in 2017, I guess 2015 for Ep VII makes sense. I think they'll have trouble keeping up that pace for long though.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
T J
Commodore

Every summer?! WOW! I hope they remember the saying about quality over quantity. But as a sci-fi fan who thinks there is waaay to little sci-fi around these days I'll not complain.
Old April 17 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Skywalker
Admiral

Now that we own this product, we must water it down as quickly as possible!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Mooch
Fleet Captain

I can't see John Williams going to be able to write that much music on that kind of schedule. It would be interesting to see some other big composers tackles Star Wars. I hope Williams can do the next trilogy though.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Every summer seems too much to me. Every other year would be about right, assuming these movies are made in a normal way.

To do one every summer - and maintain quality - would surely mean:
- either a heavily preplanned story filmed in batches of 2-3 movies back-to-back/concurrently a la LOTR was
- or an anthology approach with varying casts whereby you could overlap schedules/actors with no problem.

Or, I suppose, a blend of the above whereby the "main" story films are every other year and the intervening years have "filler" films focusing on other characters/time periods. That might jive with the other reports we had a while ago about some films focusing on particular OT characters. I haven't been following the rumour mill to know if that's still the plan.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Yoda
Rear Admiral

This is great news. Not for Star Wars fans, but for Red Letter Media fans.
Old April 17 2013, 10:37 PM   #9
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I'm cautiously optimistic, but yeah. The overkill factor concerns me. A new film every single year, and for who knows how long?

Disney: you'd better not screw all of this up. Don't take something a lot of us have cherished since we were old enough to write the alphabet and tie our shoes and run it into the ground because you want to pimp this franchise to death and put out a hundred new BluRays.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Marvel's doing multiple movies per year right now, though, and I'd argue that the Star Wars universe is at least twice as cool as the MCU.
Old April 17 2013, 10:42 PM   #11
C_Miller
Captain

This is really no different than the Marvel Cinematic Universe and we've maintained a relatively high level of quality with the worst films being just decent, which is going to get even bigger as time goes on. They're working out two or three movies every year for the foreseeable future culminating in Avengers 2.

I guess if we look at the "Trilogy" films as Avengers and all of the other standalone films as the Marvel solo movies, one per year doesn't really seem that excessive. And it's unlikely that the creative staff will be doing one movie per year, but different creative teams per film (writers, directors, actors, ect) with a few people overseeing the entire project/universe like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don't think one Star Wars film per year is really that bad when looking at it this way.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
C_Miller
Captain

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Disney: you'd better not screw all of this up. Don't take something a lot of us have cherished since we were old enough to write the alphabet and tie our shoes and run it into the ground because you want to pimp this franchise to death and put out a hundred new BluRays.
You mean like Lucas himself?

I just can't picture Disney being any worse than Lucas in this regard. Though if they wanted to release the Original Unaltered Trilogy Remastered on Bluray, I don't think anyone would complain.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:47 PM   #13
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

If they can recruit different writers and co-writers for a lot of the new films there's less chance of things getting stale and repetitive for the franchise. Fresh blood and new concepts and ideas every year or two would keep the new movies more original and potentially more exciting and reduce the risk of audience burnout from seeing the same-old, same-old every time they walk into a cinema and see the "Star Wars" logo blast onto the screen.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:58 PM   #14
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well I suppose if they can make these standalone films truly feel like separate, unique things, each done in a different style, it might work.

But if it just starts to feel like different episodes of TCW (with different eps focusing on different characters, but all done in the same style) then I think it could get old real fast.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:13 PM   #15
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Episode VII has been in development for a very long time. Much longer than most of us realized. The preproduction is probably done.

I remember Lucas had wanted the prequel trilogy to be released every other year. But computer effects were not advanced enough yet to finish them that fast. Now I think it can be done.

Spin-offs I am sure they'd will be a different style than the main storyline. Direction, music, storytelling.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote