TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 15 2013, 07:59 PM   #46
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

^^ That's what this show has been missing... I'm growing a bit tired of the "affair of the week" thing with Don and Pete.. I know the Peggy plot lines focus on the Ad biz, but I wish they'd show more of it with Don & Co.

Yes, we get it.. Pete is a snivelling weasle, but the affairs and subsequent fallout get uncomfortable to watch... Don is who Don is, and I get that... But let's have some more focus on drama that doesn't involve messing around on one's spouse...
Old April 15 2013, 11:19 PM   #47
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

My mother, who turned 29 in 1968, assured me that white frosted lipstick was all the rage. Peggy's secretary isn't color blind. It was hideous, but it was the rage.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:50 AM   #48
the G-man
Commodore

As for Don, I'm starting to think that despite his fondness for Megan, he already sees it 'over' with her career success starting to build. I think he's at a "why bother" point with it.
Don checked out of his marriage to Megan at the moment she became "independent.". That was the point of last season's finale. Probably because, to Don, an independent woman is a 'whore' like his mothers.

Other, random, thoughts:

My parents had that remote Pete was clicking. They also had Don and Megan's bed spread.

Continuing the "don death imagery," there's the switch from a light grey suit to a Navy-almost black-one as his every day work suit. Not to mention Megan's miscarriage.

Joan's outward cool towards the Jaguar guy, followed by her grabbing a drink from Don's touch was a nice bit of characterization. Well played by Ms Hendrix.

Jaguar guy reminds me a little too much of Chris Christie.

Draper passive aggressived him to death. As sideous said, we more acting like that from Hamm.

Linda cardellini looks remarkably like Dean Mrs Wormer from Animal House in that get up.

There was something almost Seinfelidian but sad the way that Don and Sylvia started acting like an old married couple at the dinner....until Don pulled his patented Bond moves.

Peggy deserved what happened regarding Heinz. She should have known better than to blab like that.

"Poor" Pete. He tries desperately to be Don but he can't handle anything-even his affairs-the way that Draper does.

Trudy demolished him. She gave him every thing he wanted but his illusion of dignity. Bastard never deserved her.

"just a gigolo.". Could be the shows theme song.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 07:55 PM   #49
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

marillion wrote: View Post
^^ That's what this show has been missing... I'm growing a bit tired of the "affair of the week" thing with Don and Pete.. I know the Peggy plot lines focus on the Ad biz, but I wish they'd show more of it with Don & Co.

Yes, we get it.. Pete is a snivelling weasle, but the affairs and subsequent fallout get uncomfortable to watch... Don is who Don is, and I get that... But let's have some more focus on drama that doesn't involve messing around on one's spouse...
Absolutely agree, though the ackward moments don't really bother me. They don't have to completely cut out the cheating, just don't make it the main focus of so many episodes.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 09:36 PM   #50
Poinsettia
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post

Jaguar guy reminds me a little too much of Chris Christie.

I was thinking Tony Soprano.
Poinsettia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:44 PM   #51
the G-man
Commodore

Chris Christie sometimes reminds me a little too much of Tony Soprano.
Old April 16 2013, 11:44 PM   #52
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Anyone else think Betty's digital fat suit looked terrible?
Old April 17 2013, 06:30 AM   #53
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

She does look a little frumpy in it. It looked....doughy.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 17 2013, 12:25 PM   #54
the G-man
Commodore

Something about her face looked off, but I had attributed that to makeup and this being the first season I'd watched in hi def, until you mentioned it
Old April 17 2013, 09:43 PM   #55
billcosby
Commodore

Yeah, it's confusing too (the fat neck). Is it meant to coincide with the likely reality of slow weight loss (Betty's storyline last season) which was explained by covering up her real life pregnancy?
It was interesting seeing Betty fat last season though now I'm wondering if Betty and Don's storylines are meant to be independent of each other for the rest of the series or are they going to cross paths again? Really hard to tell where they are going with her.
But I think she's getting even crazier, if that's even possible.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:49 PM   #56
Poinsettia
Commodore

It's most likely that they'll cross paths again because of the kids.
Poinsettia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:46 PM   #57
billcosby
Commodore

Pondwater wrote: View Post
It's most likely that they'll cross paths again because of the kids.
Oh yes of course, but I was thinking something a lot more substantial than what we've been seeing, dropping off and picking up kids. Betty and Don haven't even been in the same scene together since... I can't recall.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 03:52 AM   #58
Lord Garth
Captain

Much better.

I'm so glad Trudy saw through why Pete really wanted an apartment in the city and threw him out so early on in the season. I can't wait for when they do try to maintain appearances and things go from South to Antarctic.

Love that they flashback to Uncle Mack. Last year, I was wondering what Don would know about growing up in a "whorehouse". Archie was a farmer and I didn't peg Mack for being a pimp but now it makes sense why Don felt that he had to get out of there.

Now that we know that Abigail was a prostitute, I'm now of the belief that Don was right when he said in the first season flashback, "He ain't my brother." Where did Adam get the red hair from? Definitely not his parents. I think Adam's father was one of Abigail's clients for lack of a better term. Wanting to deny everything, she couldn't wanted to pass of Adam as Archie's.

The only problem I had with the flashback is I think they should've either recast Dick or set it a few years after they moved in with Mack, when Dick actually would've been a teenager. The actor clearly doesn't look he's 10 anymore, which is how old Dick was when his father died and how old he looked in the flashback to when Adam was born.

Don sabotaging the pitch for more local Jaguar ads was priceless.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 03:00 PM   #59
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Abigail was already pregnant when they went to the whorehouse. She had a small pregnant belly.

Old April 18 2013, 03:42 PM   #60
Lord Garth
Captain

^ I was speculating about whether or not she'd already been a prostitute even before that.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote