RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 794
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 17 2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain
Q vs. Everyone Else in the Universe

The 'main' Q is somehow simultaneously challenged by every other being in the Star Trek universe: all humans, all Borgs, all Douwds, all Organians, Trelane, all Metrons, Nagilum, Edo god, etc., etc.

The other members of the Q are watching from the Continuum, but not interfering.

The team gets 40 months of prep time. Can they do anything to Q, or will they be easily defeated?
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:18 AM   #2
JessDD
Lieutenant

Re: Q vs. Everyone Else in the Universe

Q, FTW.
Old April 17 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Melakon
Rear Admiral

*fingersnap*

They're GONE!
Old April 17 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Something interesting that I've noticed from the various Q episodes is, whenever someone (like Picard) has told Q to go away, within a short period of time he has.

One time he said something like, "I'm leaving because I choose to, not because you told me too."

This does make me wonder if Q has to go if directly told to do so, whether he wants to or not. If "everyone" were to simultaneously tell Q to go away, he just might cease to exist.

Melakon wrote: View Post
*fingersnap* They're GONE!
The Q continum has the main Q on a leash, it's a long leash but it's there. If he tried to snap a large group out of existence, he'd find himself naked and powerless again.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Melakon
Rear Admiral

He doesn't need to snap them out of existence, he can just send them really, really far away.
Old April 17 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Marsden
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
He doesn't need to snap them out of existence, he can just send them really, really far away.
Send them to the cornfield.

I think he'd be done in by carnivorous tribbles. What a way to go.
Old April 17 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Infern0
Captain

Trelane could make the difference here.

What are the limits of his power again? Because if I remember correctly there was some speculation he WAS a Q
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

In a Peter David novel he was.

Kirk managed to render him powerless by destroying his amplifier machine, so his abilities were technology based.
Trelane's parents seemed less bound by technology, but they didn't bother showing off either.

I think the strongest contenders might be the Organians.

By everyone else, even the Borg, Q would be pretty untouchable and the best the team can hope for is a stalemate.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Garrovick
Commander

All you really need to do is give Lwaxana Troi either the power of an Organian or a Douwd and send her after Q - problem solved!
Old April 17 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yet they're oddly vulnerable to civil war muskets.
Old April 18 2013, 02:11 AM   #11
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

It seems that the general consensus is that Q is so far above the others that if he doesn't want them to exist, there's not much they can do about it. This is obvious in the case of Romulans, changelings, and androids, but Douwds, Organians, Trelane, Metrons, etc., are depicted as being very advanced. (Trelane had his machine but was still very advanced compared to humanoids.)

It would be interesting to note whether dispatching of a Douwd or Organian would be 'harder' for Q (even infinitesimally so), or if eliminating a very powerful being would be as simple as destroying a Tribble or a Kelvan.

Also, I wonder if the combined might of these beings could injure Q (however slightly). This is assuming that Q is somehow 'taken by surprise,' or whatever, and he just doesn't vanish them away immediately.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:25 AM   #12
_C_
Commander

Stuff him into the TARDIS! Oh, wait, that would be a crossover wouldn't it? Besides, Q would just make one as big as a Borg cube appear and say "Mine's bigger on the outside!"
Old April 18 2013, 05:50 AM   #13
JessDD
Lieutenant

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
It seems that the general consensus is that Q is so far above the others that if he doesn't want them to exist, there's not much they can do about it. This is obvious in the case of Romulans, changelings, and androids, but Douwds, Organians, Trelane, Metrons, etc., are depicted as being very advanced. (Trelane had his machine but was still very advanced compared to humanoids.)

It would be interesting to note whether dispatching of a Douwd or Organian would be 'harder' for Q (even infinitesimally so), or if eliminating a very powerful being would be as simple as destroying a Tribble or a Kelvan.

Also, I wonder if the combined might of these beings could injure Q (however slightly). This is assuming that Q is somehow 'taken by surprise,' or whatever, and he just doesn't vanish them away immediately.

This is also assuming members of the Q Continuum would ever let an actual Q be injured.

Even when Q was going to destroy himself by taking out a shuttle and letting that energy field destroy him (can't remember the name of the episode off the top of my head), another Q stepped in and saved him.

One question I do have given recent scientific discoveries... Could the Q Continuum stop the implosion of the Universe?

Check that, I'll make a new thread out of it.
Old April 27 2013, 04:54 PM   #14
publiusr
Commodore

The implosion I think so--but it seems we are moving towards heat death or a big rip.

I think the Douwds have the best shot at the Q. The Organian attempt to stop conflict and the Excalbian attempts to foment it cancelled each other out, according to DC, leaving things freer.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:24 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Captain Robau wins