TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 16 2013, 07:32 PM   #436
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Actually this is really the first time that I personally have felt like some of the others in the thread...I've been mainly positive and encouraging of this season, and as I said I still am behind and have to catch up, but this season has been a little off at times. I also mentioned that I hadn't checked the ratings since winter hiatus...so if they've improved since the first half of the season that's awesome.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 07:49 PM   #437
Christopher
Writer

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I don't think it was as bad as everyone else. I only started watching the show in January, but watch 5-8 episodes a week and there have been some really lame, roll your eye moments. I think it's just because it's the worst episode in awhile you guys and gals are being overly hard on it.
It wasn't bad if you like a show whose hero is a grown-up Shaggy Rogers. I actually liked the scene where Castle and Beckett talked about their respective views on belief; there was some beautiful writing there. I just object to the way the show has retconned Castle into something he wasn't before, even to the point of directly contradicting past episodes where he admitted he only pretended to buy into the fanciful theories. They've taken something that was originally just a minor quirk of his sense of humor and blown it up into his defining feature as a character. I miss the version of the show that was about a mystery novelist, rather than the live-action Scooby-Doo series it seems to be turning into lately. I miss the version of the show where the cases were distinctive because of their elaborate, clever twists and turns rather than because of the supernatural hoax of the week or the vast conspiracies that have now engulfed both Beckett's and Castle's backstories.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 07:55 PM   #438
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I started watching this one last night, and got through the teaser, when Castle invoked the name "Bigfoot." I then remembered what this one was to center around. I said "screw it" to myself and went to bed. I figured I would see how it turned out by checking the forums.

The consensus seems to indicate it's another waste of time episode, so I'll just delete it off my TiVo and I'll try and catch next week's episode.

Thanks for saving me forty-two minutes of my time.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 10:16 PM   #439
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Meh, so much complaining.

It was a fairly filler episode, so not much to say about it either way. Fun enough but certainly not very memorable - "assembled from spare parts" seems a decent way to describe it. I'm just glad it didn't end up being the Bigfoot hunter, and I can keep up my streak of "I haven't been able to identify the killer because of recognizing him/her from elsewhere" that other people seem to run into so often.

Also, I'm not sure how I would have felt if Jiminy Cricket (or even better, Kaiden Alenko) was the killer. Though - now they've had Garrus and Kaiden, who's up for having Miranda or Anderson or - even better! - FemShep guest star? (Why yes, I have been playing a lot of Mass Effect lately, why do you ask?)

Also, Castle and Beckett in bed together... "D'aww...."
Old April 17 2013, 08:36 AM   #440
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

It was definitely a silly filler episode, and a mostly lame one at that, but I still got a chuckle or two out of it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who recognized Raphael Sbarge. I also recognized the first suspect they interviewed from Band of Brothers.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:45 PM   #441
Forbin
Admiral

Shaggy has a last name!?!?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:51 PM   #442
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
Shaggy has a last name!?!?
His full name is Norville "Shaggy" Rogers.

Old April 17 2013, 05:11 PM   #443
Scout101
Admiral

Don't feel too bad; even Shaggy can't remember that. Of course, he has an excuse...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 07:21 PM   #444
Worf2DS9
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
They really have retconned Castle's character now, from someone who pretends to believe in supernatural mumbo-jumbo to mess with Beckett to someone who sincerely believes in everything.
I know you've mentioned this issue several times before, but this is the first time it has annoyed me. In the past, this was the kind of nutty thing Castle would go on about just to get a reaction out of Beckett -- and it was amusing to watch. But the fact he was serious about the Bigfoot stuff was ludicrous. They even had Alexis acknowledge that he believes in all these weird & crazy things, so it's not just our perception of the character that has changed -- it is his character that's changed, and not for the better IMO.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 07:31 PM   #445
Christopher
Writer

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
I know you've mentioned this issue several times before, but this is the first time it has annoyed me. In the past, this was the kind of nutty thing Castle would go on about just to get a reaction out of Beckett -- and it was amusing to watch. But the fact he was serious about the Bigfoot stuff was ludicrous. They even had Alexis acknowledge that he believes in all these weird & crazy things, so it's not just our perception of the character that has changed -- it is his character that's changed, and not for the better IMO.
I'm surprised you'd react that way to this and not to the knockoff of The Ring they did just a few weeks ago, where Castle was afraid he'd die because he watched a creepy video. At least believing in cryptids isn't totally unrealistic; there have been cases where previously undocumented animal species have been discovered, like the coelacanth. But in that one, not only did he believe in ghosts, but he seriously believed that a danger blatantly copied from the plot of a movie could be genuinely real.

Old April 18 2013, 03:40 AM   #446
Forbin
Admiral

Who can we email to ... suggest they stop this trend?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:27 AM   #447
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who recognized Raphael Sbarge.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm surprised you'd react that way to this and not to the knockoff of The Ring they did just a few weeks ago, where Castle was afraid he'd die because he watched a creepy video.
I still don't think he did believe it in that episode especially considering his behavior in the cabin, that it was a very elaborate maintenance of his "character" to fool Beckett. I think this is the first time we've had him outright admit that he believes - genuinely - in all this stuff; and honestly I'm just going to ignore it as part of a mostly-throwaway episode, however sweet the Caskett bedroom scene was.
Old April 18 2013, 05:15 AM   #448
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I took the whole bigfoot thing as Castle believes in more than science can explain right now. I don't think it was really out of character at all, it's just a forgetful episode that means nothing long term.

And because of the Bsoton Bombing...

ABC has decided to delay Monday’s Castle, which features a bomb-related plot, in light of this week’s attack at the Boston Marathon, TVLine has learned.

The episode, titled “Still,” finds the team attempting to disarm a bomb that Beckett has stepped on. It will now air one week later on Monday, April 29.
The episode originally scheduled for April 29, “The Squab and the Quill,” will now air on April 22, replacing “Still.”

Last edited by bigdaddy; April 18 2013 at 05:42 AM.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:49 PM   #449
SAndrews10
Captain

And as a result of the switch we will see the aftermath/deeling of "something" that happened before we see what happens.
SAndrews10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:09 PM   #450
Christopher
Writer

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I still don't think he did believe it in that episode especially considering his behavior in the cabin, that it was a very elaborate maintenance of his "character" to fool Beckett.
Except he was acting just as fearful when Beckett wasn't around, like when he called Wes Craven. I agree that the cabin scene suggested he was playacting, but there was too much earlier in the episode which treated his fear as genuine. (Which is inconsistent character writing within the course of a single episode, another reason that one sucked.)