Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 17 2013, 03:11 PM   #151
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: new star trek trailer

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I was super psyched to see this film. I'm less enthusiastic after seeing the trailer.

Did they learn nothing from Star Trek 2 and the worst aspects of the last two films?
Yes.

They learned how to make successful films that people will like instead of repeating the same formula that was faltering. And that's exactly what they're doing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:17 PM   #152
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Without any inside knowledge, I feel fairly confident that the Enterprise will survive this movie. My thought is that Kirk and Scotty will save her just as the massive Dreadnought vessel smashes into San Francisco.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:28 PM   #153
Lon Suder
Ensign

OMG, i just joined this forum to post this.

Kirk turning and saying I'm sorry is heart wrenching. Especially after the gung ho "Let's go get this son of a bitch."

Also, has it been speculated that this dreadnaught crusier has been built in response to the Narada attack? That Starfleet would most likely seriously upgrade their fleet after the pasting Nero gave them?
Lon Suder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:41 PM   #154
EJD1984
Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
Without any inside knowledge, I feel fairly confident that the Enterprise will survive this movie. My thought is that Kirk and Scotty will save her just as the massive Dreadnought vessel smashes into San Francisco.
If it does, I could see a fairly extensive repair and refit.
Old April 17 2013, 03:51 PM   #155
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Having the Enterprise look like a toy to a massive bad guy ship (like it looks when compared to the Scimitar and the Narada) does not a good conflict make)
It seemed to work for David vs. Goliath, Beowulf, Shadow of the Colossus, Jack the Giant Killer, Rocky, and Deep Space 9's Defiant, to name a few.
Old April 17 2013, 03:54 PM   #156
edshrinker
Ensign

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Just to get my two cents in. I'm now thinking that the new starship is from Section 31, and was built in response to the Nero attack in the first film. Also that John Harrison is an engineered product from Sec. 31 as well. To add to my theory, the secondary hull does seem to have a stealth fighter faceted design and look.
THAT is one gorgous ship.
edshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:05 PM   #157
indranee
Vice Admiral

It may be (beautiful) but it's not the Enterprise. And I want my NCC 1701 back (at the end of this movie or the beginning of ST 3) dammit!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:27 PM   #158
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

edshrinker wrote: View Post
EJD1984 wrote: View Post
THAT is one gorgous ship.
Like the fan-created Excalibur-class, I think it looks like a starship fit for a Sith Lord.

I'm not complaining, mind you.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:34 PM   #159
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Love the trailer. I'm thinking the Enterprise survives too. It would be too cheap to destroy her so soon because we (and Kirk) haven't had a chance to properly fall in love with her yet.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:57 PM   #160
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
Starfleet does build warships... Constitution Class could act like one when needed. It was not strictly a science vessel, one of their missions was to protect federation planets. The Enterprise could lay waste to a planet if it had to. (General Order 24)
If they kept that it makes me wonder what the Dreadnaught can do, blow a planet in two? Lay waste to an entire star system?

The weapon the ship points at Enterprise, I wonder if it is like the "wave motion" gun from Spacebattleship Yamato. TNG had a homage to that series with the deflector dish weapon used in Best of Both Worlds.

-Chris
Old April 17 2013, 05:59 PM   #161
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

AWESOME TRAILER!

Upon the first viewing I swore Cumberbatch said "You want a poem Kirk?"
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:01 PM   #162
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Love the trailer. I'm thinking the Enterprise survives too. It would be too cheap to destroy her so soon because we (and Kirk) haven't had a chance to properly fall in love with her yet.
Agreed. And I'm guessing that's going to be one of the plot points, base on som of the dialogue in the new trailer, Kirk and company bonding with the ship. It'd be nice to see that sort of "ship as a character" dynamic that you saw in Firefly/Serenity, where you get the sense that the captain and crew really *love* the ship.

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
AWESOME TRAILER!

Upon the first viewing I swore Cumberbatch said "You want a poem Kirk?"
You weren't the only one, that's exactly what I heard the first time as well.

(Kind of a shame that it's not what he says, it'd be a pretty badass line.)

Being as it's been revealed that Carol Marcus is a weapons expert, anyone get an inkling that the Dreadnought is the fruit of her labor, and that she's probably in for the ride with Kirk and company because she has knowledge of how to defeat it?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:13 PM   #163
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

This is the finest of an excellent series of teasers and trailers for this film. Personaly, I feel certain it will, but I hope the movie realises the potential promised. It'll be hugely disappointing if it falls short.
Old April 17 2013, 06:35 PM   #164
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Anyone catch the subtle nod to TOS production values in the trailer? The scene where Spock is running after Harrison, at 1:51 into the trailer (just after Harrison bursts through the glass), shows Spock's insignia on the wrong side of his shirt--as used to happen to McCoy in TOS on more than one occasion. That's the kind of attention to detail that shows, beyond all doubt, that Abrams' reverence for the source material is unimpeachable.

I loved the trailer, don't get me wrong. I was simply amused that a little reversal like that snuck into it the way it would on TOS.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:45 PM   #165
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ovation wrote: View Post
Anyone catch the subtle nod to TOS production values in the trailer? The scene where Spock is running after Harrison, at 1:51 into the trailer (just after Harrison bursts through the glass), shows Spock's insignia on the wrong side of his shirt--as used to happen to McCoy in TOS on more than one occasion. That's the kind of attention to detail that shows, beyond all doubt, that Abrams' reverence for the source material is unimpeachable.

I loved the trailer, don't get me wrong. I was simply amused that a little reversal like that snuck into it the way it would on TOS.
There's another reverse-angle shot of Kirk in the Captain's chair.