RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 501
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 15 2013, 01:24 AM   #136
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

In other news, Carlos Quentin has decided to drop his appeal of his suspension and will begin serving it immediately, presumably because he didn't want to be part of the series against the Dodgers that starts tomorrow.
Old April 15 2013, 02:37 AM   #137
Aragorn
Admiral

If you turned the movie Unbreakable into baseball, Bruce Willis would be Cal Ripken Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson would be Jose Reyes.
Old April 15 2013, 02:40 AM   #138
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Gardy goes yardy"

Gotta love those Sterlingisms...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 15 2013, 03:04 AM   #139
Use of Time
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Pondwater wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Gio got jacked today. That guy wears his emotions on his sleeve. His mini temper tantrums on the mound today didn't do him any favors. I don't know what happened to the Nationals bullpen. They were really solid last year. It seems like the whole team is having trouble throwing strikes and keeping the ball in the yard. Between that and Zimmerman throwing the ball all over the place this team might be a victim of buying into their own hype a little too early. That being said it is really early so they definitely have time to settle down. Just a really odd series all around.
It's still early in the season. Although, I do think there is something wrong with Zimmerman's hand. However, I am glad to see the Bravos get off to a great start, for once.
The Braves are on absolute fire. What do they do when Freeman and McCann come back. They can't tell Gattis, thanks but the stars are back and you have to go to the bench, can they? He's probably been one of the top stories in baseball this early season.
I honestly don't know what they do. Gattis is not going to play first base. Freeman has that spot anchored. McCann is the kind of guy that is screaming DH to me. Maybe the Braves dangle him out there for the AL. I'm happy with Gattis but there is still a lot of time before McCann comes back. He could fall back to Earth kind of like Francoeur did when he first came up. Time will tell. Its a good problem to have though.
Old April 15 2013, 04:06 AM   #140
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

It's important to remember that we're only two weeks into the season: Small sample size, my friends. At this time last year, Bryan LaHair had a 1.119 OPS.
Old April 15 2013, 06:13 AM   #141
Tom Servo
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
"Gardy goes yardy"

Gotta love those Sterlingisms...
God Sterling sucks sooooo much . It's almost unbearable, between him and "OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS!" Suzyn Waldman.

Buchholz was just flat out nasty today. Yes its the Rays, but he was completely overpowering. He and Lester, with the caveat of SSS, have been just what the Red Sox needed this year to contend.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old April 15 2013, 11:42 AM   #142
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
It's important to remember that we're only two weeks into the season: Small sample size, my friends. At this time last year, Bryan LaHair had a 1.119 OPS.
I pretty much said that but yes. I'm wondering if we already had the best years out of McCann. His problems with his vision and frequent time on the DL is making me lean towards moving him while we still can. I think he's got a few good years left but I think he would still be attractive to American League teams.

It is a small sample size but I don't think Gattis is going to regress all that much. He doesn't have the approach of a green rookie. He doesn't bite on stuff that most rookies go for and he has a tremendous eye for the plate. He makes contact, usually very strong contact and hits to all parts of the field. So far so good.
Old April 15 2013, 02:23 PM   #143
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Well, Gattis is definitely going to regress quite a bit, since no one can sustain a 194 OPS+ over the course of a season. What's propelling him right now is that more than 33 percent of his hits have been home runs, which obviously isn't going to last.

That's actually a problem with the Braves' entire offense, really ... there are some gaping holes, so the strategy of "get a guy or two on base and then pray for a dinger" really isn't going to work in the long term.
Old April 15 2013, 02:42 PM   #144
Use of Time
Commodore

Their pitching is really the thing that has kept their winning streak alive, especially in the bullpen with Luis Avilan doing fantastic work as a jamstopper. The Braves offense is going to hit a lot of homeruns and strike out alot. I think everyone knew this. Its better than last years team that didn't hit homeruns and also struck out alot.

They were successfull against the Nationals mainly due to production from bench players. Ramiro Pena had four hits off the bench and Chris Johnson ended up with 8 hits in the series. This team doesn't necesarily have to live off the long ball. B.J. needs to stay in the leadoff spot as he seems to be feel more comfortable there. I'm not too worried about the long term because if you think about it the Braves are just riding Upton and Gattis right now along with strong pitching. Once Freeman and Heyward get going that should even things out a little bit.
Old April 16 2013, 02:55 AM   #145
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I'm up to 20 on Beat the Streak. I'll probably be on the leaderboard tomorrow.
Old April 16 2013, 09:39 PM   #146
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
Just another rich person acting like they're doing you a favor when you buy their product. I really hope D-back ticket sales decline because of this.
Apparently the D-backs' owner is even more of a dick than we thought.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 17 2013, 02:44 AM   #147
Use of Time
Commodore

Fun night for the Braves in the 8th with three home runs but a costly 9th as Luis Avilan goes down with a hamstring injury mid-pitch. Hopefully its not something that will cost him a lot of playing time.
Old April 17 2013, 02:53 AM   #148
Pondwater
Commodore

Bombs away for the Bravos, Wooo!!

Update: They mentioned on the post game show that it's a left hamstring strain. *fingerscrossed* Hopefyully, Avilan can return soon.

Last edited by Pondwater; April 17 2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: To Update
Old April 17 2013, 06:12 PM   #149
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I did like how the Yankees went out of their way to show solidarity with the Red Sox in light of the Boston bombing.
Old April 17 2013, 10:07 PM   #150
Pondwater
Commodore

^ I saw that all over FB. Very touching considering the intense (putting it lightly) rivalry between the two.

Bravos winning streak snapped in a 1-0 loss to the Royals.
Closed Thread