Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 16 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
lordbaltimore1
Ensign

Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9?

I must say, although I loved Nana Visitor as Kira in DS9, Michelle Forbes' performance as Ro Laren in TNG is utterly epic. Would DS9 have been a better show with her instead of Visitor?

Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest? I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Kira and Ro sharing screen time, and something tells me they would have had quite the rivalry. Perhaps Ro could have fallen under the influence of Kai Winn and become a "fundamentalist" or even turned to the Pah-Wraiths. She certainly would have been a darker character than Kira...
lordbaltimore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9?

I would've shot Visitor out of a cannon and into obscurity if it meant we would have gotten Forbes to play Ro Laren.
Old April 16 2013, 09:59 PM   #3
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

lordbaltimore1 wrote: View Post
I must say, although I loved Nana Visitor as Kira in DS9, Michelle Forbes' performance as Ro Laren in TNG is utterly epic. Would DS9 have been a better show with her instead of Visitor?
No. We gained a lot by having a completely new character that wasn't Starfleet at all. Ro couldn't have had near the impact as Kira.

Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest? I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Kira and Ro sharing screen time, and something tells me they would have had quite the rivalry. Perhaps Ro could have fallen under the influence of Kai Winn and become a "fundamentalist" or even turned to the Pah-Wraiths. She certainly would have been a darker character than Kira...
This, however, would have been pretty cool.
Old April 16 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I gotta agree with Kira being the better move than Ro as the DS9 first officer. Though it would've definitely been nice to have Ro show up during some of the Maquis episodes with Tom Riker or Eddington. Or even leading her own cell.
Old April 17 2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I'm happy with the way we got it. I wouldn't have been opposed to Ro guesting in an ep or two, but I'm glad we got Nerys.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:27 AM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If Ro was also in Starfleet, she couldn't have treated Sisko like Kira did. There would have been less conflict.
Old April 17 2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Third Nacelle
Captain

I think maybe having Ro still in the Maquis but being and old friend of Kira's would have been cool. Sort of like Sisko & Cal Hudson.

But having her as a regular on the show replacing Kira would have been weird. We'd have an all-Starfleet (except Odo) senior staff on a Bajoran station!
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
scotcat
Ensign

While it would have been nice to have Ro in some of the Maquis centric episodes, I'm glad they went with a new character.

It was the right decision to go with a character that wasn't starfleet - it would have looked very odd if, on a Bajoran space station, there were no Bajorans in the command staff (unless you count Odo).
Old April 17 2013, 01:00 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

scotcat wrote: View Post
While it would have been nice to have Ro in some of the Maquis centric episodes, I'm glad they went with a new character.

It was the right decision to go with a character that wasn't starfleet - it would have looked very odd if, on a Bajoran space station, there were no Bajorans in the command staff (unless you count Odo).
Funny, I thought Ro was Bajoran?
Old April 17 2013, 01:06 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'm sure if Ro was casted for DS9, she'd have resigned from Starfleet and put on the Bajoran uniform the moment her people won their independence.
Old April 17 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
lordbaltimore1
Ensign

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'm sure if Ro was casted for DS9, she'd have resigned from Starfleet and put on the Bajoran uniform the moment her people won their independence.
Totally agreed on that point. In fact, I would think the Federation would have insisted upon it to avoid a conflict of interest. Nevertheless, the writers could have used her ex-Starfleet status to play up the conflict with Kai Winn.

Ironically, I got the sense that Kira was less hostile to Starfleet than Ro was, even though she was a part of it. Ro had a pretty dark, bitter streak to her character, and she didn't seem to get along very well with most of the others in the Federation. They tried to do that with Kira but I never completely bought it.
lordbaltimore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Infern0
Captain

Yes.

Forbes is an immense actress and Visitor has an annoying voice.

Also in the DS9 relaunch, Ro is Bajoran millitia, although the timing is off it would have been possible to make it work.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:51 PM   #13
dub
Fleet Captain

Loved, loved, loved Kira. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

lordbaltimore1 wrote: View Post
Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest?
You know, I'm really surprised they never did this. Lord knows they brought in every other TNG character imaginable.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
BruntFCA
Commander

I never liked Ro so I'm glad we got Kira who was great.
Old April 17 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I would have loved it if Forbes had accepted to play the character for the first season. I think Avery Brooks and her would have been sensational together. Then she leaves or die at the end of season 1, and is replaced by another Bajoran officer who's even more intense than Ro, Major Kira.