Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old May 2 2005, 10:32 PM   #511
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: P/C run amok...

^It's like Captain Picard was so clueless. She's making some fairly obvious passes at him, and he's missing it. Or perhaps he's seeing clearly and doesn't want to admit it.
Old May 2 2005, 11:12 PM   #512
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Yeah, he's pretty clueless. I can understand him not noticing her interest immediately, given that he started off thinking of her only as his best friend's wife. I can even understand him ignoring what happened in The Naked Now, figuring that it was just the virus talking, and not her real feelings. But after The Big Goodbye? That was practically a date! She was wiping lipstick off of his face! There was sustained gazing going on! After that, he just had to be consciously refusing to admit it. Oh, Jean-Luc.

By the way, I've posted a little P/C vignette in the fanfic forum. It's a scene that could have happened in The Game... how Beverly got him to try Riker's game.
Old May 2 2005, 11:33 PM   #513
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

Here's a little artistic effort of my own, which has actually turned out a little better than I expected ...

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Old May 3 2005, 01:04 AM   #514
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

^ Nice!
Old May 3 2005, 01:11 AM   #515
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

thanks, I'm pretty pleased with it. Picard's quite a lot lighter than Crusher, but this could be put down to some moonlight falling on him or something. Either that, or he's got one of those artificial sun tans ...

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Old May 3 2005, 01:48 AM   #516
Ohappydagger
Rear Admiral

Very nice, Grizz! Great job.
Old May 3 2005, 08:40 AM   #517
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Wow! Grizzly, you're very talented! It's extremely convincing, and very nicely put together. I recognize the picture of Picard, of course, but I can't figure out where you got Bev from. It doesn't look quite like Cause and Effect. Is it pieced together?

Only two not-very-critical comments. The serious one: the bridge of her nose looks a little odd, almost as if she's a Bajoran. The un-serious one: why is she clothed when he's naked? Ah well, that's Bev, always unpredictable...

EDIT: Oh, and nice signature, Ohappydagger.
Old May 3 2005, 10:52 AM   #518
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

The Crusher screencap was this one, from "Cause And Effect". I mostly just overlayed Picard onto it, although I also moved one of her hands into view. I hoped that flipping the picture horizontally would make it look more like new material.

I think that the slightly odd effect on her nose is because light is falling on it in the original picture, which got carried through.

As to the other point ... he might be wearing shorts of course! I guess that it would have matched better if he was wearing bed robes, but I was limited in my options. It's a matter of luck that two screencaps from the same relative angle exist, as I don't have the skill to do much manipulation.

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Old May 3 2005, 12:48 PM   #519
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Ah, I see, I think it was the mirror reversal that confused me.

As for the clothes comment, it was intended as a character observation rather than an artistic criticism. I think the picture looks fantastic, and I will forgive Jean-Luc for not wearing shorts.

I'm seeing avatar potential here. Would you care to make one for me, perhaps with captioning?
Old May 3 2005, 01:10 PM   #520
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

I could give it a try, but I've had problems with making avatars in the past. Either they get blurred as I shrink them down to size, or I find that they have too many K, like this one ...

I've certainly no objection if you want to make an avatar from it yourself, or commission someone else for the challenge.

EDIT: I had a go and came up with this, which doesn't look too bad ...

I lightened the picture up a bit, but the more I do that, the more obvious it is that it's two separate pictures put together. As I say, someone else could probably do a better job of it.

ANOTHER EDIT: Here's another try ...

This one comes out at 81k, while the other one comes at 3k. I just don't get that.

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Old May 3 2005, 07:59 PM   #521
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand ...

Posted by Naraht:
But after The Big Goodbye? That was practically a date! She was wiping lipstick off of his face! There was sustained gazing going on! After that, he just had to be consciously refusing to admit it. Oh, Jean-Luc.
"The Big Goodbye" indeed epitomised Picard's blissful ignorance on this subject back in season 1, also shown in both "The Arsenal Of Freedom" and "We'll Always Have Paris". Things changed when she returned in the third season.

It does make me wonder how the character would have evolved if she'd stayed on for season 2. Would there have been an abrupt shift in their relationship? Would it have changed slowly over time? Or might the writers have got stuck in a rut and continued with the season 1 pattern? Leaving for a year may actually have helped the Crusher character, as it enabled them to do a "re-invention" of sorts when she returned. I don't think that the season 1 style would have worked too well over a full seven years.

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Old May 4 2005, 04:12 AM   #522
LISA_t
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Arsenal of Freedom comes close to Attachment for me in terms of screaming at the TV. Beverly more or less tells him to come and lie down beside her, and she's injured anyhow, which should have been an excuse. And what does Jean-Luc do? He starts blundering around the cave like a blithering idiot!! I started a rewrite of this, but didn't get very far.

Re development... OK, paramout are plonkers for not following the whole P/C thing up. But then we wouldn't have so much fun. I personally don't find the R/T relationship so interesting (although that might partly be because of Troi's weird and wonderful accent) because even though they're officially friends, they're unofficially something more, and they're honest about it too. Well, comparatively. It wouldn't be hard to do better than P/C.
Old May 6 2005, 12:58 PM   #523
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Arsenal of Freedom is a difficult one. It was originally supposed to be more of a romance, but it was nixed by Gene Roddenberry. As such, it represents the point at which TPTB realised that the P/C arc in season one was leading somewhere that they didn't want it to go.

In a sense, whatever the situation with Maurice Hurley, I wonder whether part of the reason for Gates McFadden's departure in season two wasn't similar to the reason for Grace Lee Whitney's departure from TOS. In other words, she threatened the captain's status as an independent man. When they brought her back in season three, they'd clearly decided that the relationship was going to be different. So in that sense, the question of what Beverly would have been like in season two is a moot point. It was difficulties with her character that caused her not to be there in the first place.
Old May 10 2005, 06:04 PM   #524
mon capitaine
Rear Admiral

You know I was watching Coming of Age the other day and a thought struck me. During that nice scene where they intercut the crew answering Remmick's questions I realised that he really didn't put too much of a horrible spin on what he asked Beverly.

You can be completely open with me....About how you feel serving with a man who was responsible for the death of your husband.

Now if Remmick wanted to stir things up (and he was certainly phrasing his questions to everyone in order to get a rise), why not say serving with the man who killed your husband? It's neater and nastier.

I wonder if he actually was putting spin on what was a tragic accident? Blackening Picard's good name by even suggesting he was in any way responsible?

Maybe Picard had nothing to do with Jack's death after all?
Old May 13 2005, 07:27 PM   #525
Gold Grizzly
Vice Admiral

I guess you could say that Picard has a general responsibility for his crew, although "Coming Of Age" implied a stronger involvement in the incident than that.

Free Games!

Dutch To English!
Closed Thread