Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 17 2013, 04:03 AM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Is J.J. Abams "Star Trek" Sustainable?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

I would hate for TPTB to feel that Abrams not only raised the bar, but created a single, unalterable templete by which all future Trek's must conform.
That only happens if the next director has no testicles. *cough*Jonathan Frakes*cough*
Old April 17 2013, 05:33 AM   #17
Third Nacelle
Captain

The problem is the Abrams-era movies are watered down (all looks, no substance) Trek designed to appeal to mass audiences who aren't traditional Trek fans. Those fans might stick around for two or three films, but eventually their short attentions spans will move on to something shiny and new.

Then what? Reboot again? Cast preteens in the main roles? Have 90 minutes of planets imploding? The reboot was a nice way to make a summer blockbuster, but eventually cheap tricks like that reach a point of diminishing returns. I seriously doubt 30 years from now anybody will look back and remember ST09/STID the way we remember the first six films or even the TNG films.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
The problem is the Abrams-era movies are watered down (all looks, no substance) Trek designed to appeal to mass audiences who aren't traditional Trek fans. Those fans might stick around for two or three films, but eventually their short attentions spans will move on to something shiny and new.

Then what? Reboot again? Cast preteens in the main roles? Have 90 minutes of planets imploding? The reboot was a nice way to make a summer blockbuster, but eventually cheap tricks like that reach a point of diminishing returns. I seriously doubt 30 years from now anybody will look back and remember ST09/STID the way we remember the first six films or even the TNG films.
What's a traditional Trek fan?

I remember a couple of good films, several mediocre ones and couple that were really bad.
Old April 17 2013, 05:45 AM   #19
Third Nacelle
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I remember a couple of good films, several mediocre ones and couple that were really bad.
Yes, but even the bad ones held onto what Trek is: a cerebral science fiction series for people who like to think. That sort of thing doesn't translate well from TV to the big screen, but when they got it right, they got it RIGHT. The last movie completely erased that and turned it into an action movie. A very entertaining and beautiful action movie, but it wasn't really Trek.
Old April 17 2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Yes, but even the bad ones held onto what Trek is: a cerebral science fiction series for people who like to think. That sort of thing doesn't translate well from TV to the big screen, but when they got it right, they got it RIGHT. The last movie completely erased that and turned it into an action movie. A very entertaining and beautiful action movie, but it wasn't really Trek.
Surely you're not serious. Even the good films weren't that.

Star Trek was an action-adventure TV show. That's why they had stuff blow up, fights in most episodes and a whole lot of shaking going on. The new film followed that well established pattern, while mixing in some nice character moments.
Old April 17 2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Third Nacelle
Captain

Surely you're not serious. Even the good films weren't that.

Star Trek was an action-adventure TV show. That's why they had stuff blow up, fights in most episodes and a whole lot of shaking going on. The new film followed that well established pattern, while mixing in some nice character moments.[/QUOTE]

Are we watching the same show? Sure all the ST series and films had their share of explosions and shaking, but they never sacrificed substance for style.
Old April 17 2013, 06:14 AM   #22
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Here we go again.

Delusion is not just a river in Egypt, you know.
Old April 17 2013, 06:26 AM   #23
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

Are we watching the same show? Sure all the ST series and films had their share of explosions and shaking, but they never sacrificed substance for style.
Depth is a subjective matter. Into Darkness projects something actually deep for all the in-your-face explosions and SFX.

We are being presented the idea of a darker side of the Federation, and this is critical, at this point in time, early in the timeline. People speculated about repercussions of the destruction of Vulcan, and here it is. They ramp up weapons R&D and build up because of fear.

This plays well into the positivism aspect of ST. Is starfleet ready to embrace the darkness? Or are they going to see light at the end of the tunnel. That I think is the central conflict of the film. Saying that it isn't deep,doesn't mean it isn't. People just need to focus and not see just the aesthetic.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:29 AM   #24
urbandk
Commodore

there were some great ST sci fi TV episodes. STTMP was also more sci-fi oriented, but other than that, Wagon Train to the Stars
Old April 17 2013, 06:37 AM   #25
Third Nacelle
Captain

aeriolewinters wrote: View Post
Depth is a subjective matter. Into Darkness projects something actually deep for all the in-your-face explosions and SFX.

We are being presented the idea of a darker side of the Federation, and this is critical, at this point in time, early in the timeline. People speculated about repercussions of the destruction of Vulcan, and here it is. They ramp up weapons R&D and build up because of fear.

This plays well into the positivism aspect of ST. Is starfleet ready to embrace the darkness? Or are they going to see light at the end of the tunnel. That I think is the central conflict of the film. Saying that it isn't deep,doesn't mean it isn't. People just need to focus and not see just the aesthetic.
I'm not going to pass judgment on it until I see it. As much as I tried to hate ST09, I was actually quite entertained by it. And from what I've seen of the previews it looks like it will be pretty good.

But I hold to my answer to the original question... is it sustainable? They were successful with the last film at attracting a big-summer-blockbuster kind of audience at a time when less and less people are going to the movies. I just don't believe that audience is going to stick around for more than a couple films.
Old April 17 2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Creepy Critter
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Here we go again.

Neither is denial.
Old April 17 2013, 08:48 AM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Here we go again.

Neither is denial.
Or humor.

Not many rivers in Egypt, actually. It's mostly desert, right?
Old April 17 2013, 09:29 AM   #28
indranee
Vice Admiral

aeriolewinters wrote: View Post

I'm not going to pass judgment on it until I see it. As much as I tried to hate ST09, I was actually quite entertained by it. And from what I've seen of the previews it looks like it will be pretty good.

But I hold to my answer to the original question... is it sustainable? They were successful with the last film at attracting a big-summer-blockbuster kind of audience at a time when less and less people are going to the movies. I just don't believe that audience is going to stick around for more than a couple films.
well, if they don't, I'd be happy to hear the thwack of the door hitting them on their asses and sit MINE down for a nice teevee series

you see, Trek will always be sustainable. In one form or another.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:45 AM   #29
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Well with JJ walking away from Trek for Star Wars the next movie's future is kind og up in the air at the moment. Sure Paramount will hire a new director and executive producer but they will be stewarding over JJ's franchise. Keeping the pace up after what I expect STID to be melt facingly awesome will be tough. TPTB may ask the next team to take the franchise in a different direction. Shudder disappointing threequel nightmares
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:53 AM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Well with JJ walking away from Trek for Star Wars the next movie's future is kind og up in the air at the moment. Sure Paramount will hire a new director and executive producer

Even if Abrams can't direct, Bad Robot & him as a producer are not going away for the 3rd movie.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote