Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x08 Cold War
Geronimo! 34 27.42%
NIce Warrior! 66 53.23%
lukewarm 21 16.94%
Will spring never come? 3 2.42%
Dive Dive Dive! 0 0%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 17 2013, 02:29 AM   #121
Zeppster
Commodore

Re: Poll: 7x08 Cold War review and discussion

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Another nitpick: how does the TARDIS translator translate everyone if the TARDIS is quite literally on the opposite end of the world?
I think it works like this although it's Doctor Who science and doesn't really have to make complete sense. If you live in the TARDIS for any amount of time it translates whatever you hear to your language. I guess everyone is technically not speaking english, but in the Doctor's language(Gallifrenese I guess?)
Old April 17 2013, 02:33 AM   #122
Zeppster
Commodore

Also when you travel through all of time and space the other side of a planet isn't really all that far don't you think?
Old April 17 2013, 02:41 AM   #123
Zeppster
Commodore

As far as the episode goes, overall it's a solid episode.

I loved how even though they did do some different things with the Ice Warriors they still kept them faithful to the past. There were nudges to the past DW stories but you didn't have to watch any previous Ice Warrior stories to enjoy this one. Good tension throughout. The only weakness is that David Warner did kinda go wasted as more of comic relief, but he still played his role adequately.
Old April 17 2013, 03:21 AM   #124
throwback
Captain

I know that both American and Soviet submarines during the Cold War conducted scientific researches. Probably the scientist was assigned to the sub for such a mission?

I have seen the interior of Soviet submarines on documentaries. I don't think that a realistic depiction of a sub would be conducive to the story, for there would be nowhere for the ice warrior and its prey to hide.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:33 PM   #125
Marsden
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I couldn't get over the Professor having his nice little cheering-Clara chat while sitting in an OPEN DOORWAY with his back to a room/corridor from which the enemy could easily come. No one sits with their back to an open doorway while fleeing for their life from an mysterious alien.
You said it! I kept expecting claws to burst out of his chest and a big splash of blood and the Professor's head lands in Clara's lap!
It would have been a growing experience for her.
Old April 17 2013, 08:51 PM   #126
diankra
Commodore

throwback wrote: View Post
I know that both American and Soviet submarines during the Cold War conducted scientific researches. Probably the scientist was assigned to the sub for such a mission?
That's definitely the case, the niggle is whether a sub carrying nuclear weapons - rather than a nuclear powered one - would be assigned to such a mission.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:21 AM   #127
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

No. Not at all. Only Fast Attack Submarines did that.

Ballistic missile subs were far too important to waste on that kind of mission.
Old April 19 2013, 02:46 AM   #128
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Zeppster wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Another nitpick: how does the TARDIS translator translate everyone if the TARDIS is quite literally on the opposite end of the world?
I think it works like this although it's Doctor Who science and doesn't really have to make complete sense. If you live in the TARDIS for any amount of time it translates whatever you hear to your language. I guess everyone is technically not speaking english, but in the Doctor's language(Gallifrenese I guess?)
Since the Doctor travels through time and regularly visits Earth, just how many locations was the TARDIS in at this moment in time? Of they all network together, translating over distance may not be that big an issue.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:01 AM   #129
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This could be a Doctor Detector UNIT or the Government could use to track the Doctor and this shit that's following him or he's following.

Even if there's a random alien phrase to inserted into the letterhead of all their official documents that they can't read as English until the TARDIS materializes some where nearby.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:44 AM   #130
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It was really fun to watch old school scale models return to doctor who. The sub model also shook like it was from a old TV series.

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:00 PM   #131
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Nice praise for Matt in the Slate Dr. Who blog...

This is a key, defining challenge facing any actor playing the Doctor. Doctor Who introduces new monsters and aliens each year, to be sure, but it also has a decades-spanning tradition of bringing its most popular monsters back for return engagements. Meaning that at some point a classically trained actor is going to find himself pretending to be awestruck and terrified staring at a beloved but goofy-looking adversary based on an ultra-low-budget design from the 1960s.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:26 PM   #132
Flibble
Fleet Captain

I am sure that I saw some mention of a possible return of Captain Jack Harkness in this episode but I can not remember where I read it. Any clues..anyone?
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:55 PM   #133
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Flibble wrote: View Post
I am sure that I saw some mention of a possible return of Captain Jack Harkness in this episode but I can not remember where I read it. Any clues..anyone?
On John Barrowman's Facebook or Twitter page, he alluded that he might be involved in the Anniversary Special, and then later retracted it. Some believe the Anniversary Special he may be involved in is the Big Finish Audio Anniversary Special

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:55 PM   #134
publiusr
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Next week the villain is going to be an alternate of Tom Baker!
Tom could be an effective villain, as we saw with Meglos and Xoanon. He could do the Gowron evil eye bit very well, and the shock of hair widened his face. He reminded me of Goya's painting Saturn Devouring His Son.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote