Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 13 2013, 10:14 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: star trek into darkness action figures?

Generally, movie toys start hitting the shelves a month or two before the movie's release. Sales start dropping off afterward.

It's unlikely that there are any action figures being held in secret because of Abrams. Even if some spoilery toys were being kept under wraps, we would at least know if a toy company was actually making any months ago (Mattel has a ship from Star Trek XII in their Hot Wheels line that they're keeping a secret, but the fact that they're doing so was revealed some time ago).
Old April 14 2013, 01:22 AM   #17
Beyerstein
Captain

But you'd kinda think if hasbro wasn't gonna put any new movie figures out then maybe Diamond Select would, but there's been no announcements of STID from them either.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:46 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
But you'd kinda think if hasbro wasn't gonna put any new movie figures out then maybe Diamond Select would, but there's been no announcements of STID from them either.
They didn't sell. I don't think Diamond Select is any more interested in losing money than Hasbro is.
Old April 15 2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The lack of merchandise for STID is pretty wild.
If you recall, the same thing happened with ST II. The action figures for TMP failed to excite enough collectors in December 1979, and Marvel's tie-in comic was cancelled before the sequel film was released. We didn't see more ST action figures till ST III (and then only Kirk, Spock, Scott and Kruge w/pet), and we didn't get a comic adaptation for ST II until the IDW one - in 2009!

The upcoming Kre-O figures are the tie-in toy line for this film, and may well catch on. Many prime universe waves will follow.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 10:43 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Saw the Kre-O line for Star Trek XII today at my local Toys R Us. The deluxe Enterprise with Kirk, Spock, etc., was cute as hell but I couldn't bring myself to plop down sixty bucks for it (some stores may offer it for a few bucks cheaper though, but I'm still not buying it).
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6UCyLnGTZU...+-+wKREONS.jpg

I probably would have gone for Kre-O mini fleet featuring smaller-scale versions of the Enterprise, the Kelvin, the "Jellyfish," and a Klingon warbird--those were six bucks each at that same TRU--but I think I'll hold out for the Hot Wheels ships instead.
Old April 16 2013, 01:02 PM   #21
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Not surprised that no one is really bothering with toys for STID. Toy sales have been going down the drain over the last few years as video games get more of the target demo. If cartoons can't depend on toy sales to stay alive these days, there's no real benefit to putting out lots of action figures if they're gonna wind up at Big Lots in a few months. Paramount is probably putting a lot more weight on the video game.
Old April 16 2013, 04:09 PM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Toys are going the route of comic books in that they're becoming more and more a luxury item for a steadily dwindling customer base. Toys are already having a hard time competing with video games, but prices have skyrocketed in recent years to the point where the average 3.75-inch action figure these days is about 10 bucks in most retail stores.

But I think even big toy companies like Hasbro and Mattel realize they can't survive on the collector's market alone, so they've been recently introducing more affordable 3.75 superhero action figures (with simpler articulation) in the 6 dollar range. Hasbro could have done this with a Star Trek XII line, but they may be using Star Trek to push their Kre-O line, which has been generally unnoticed until now.
Old April 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #23
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Diamond Select Toys doesn't have a JJ-Trek license. (It's a separate license from the pre-2009 Star Trek.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Wynterhawk
Commodore

Location: Wynterhawk is cool like the other side of your pillow

I bought figures from the 2009 line and was looking forward to purchasing some from this film. I hope they put out /something/. At least the main crew and Harrison.
Old April 16 2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
\ (Mattel has a ship from Star Trek XII in their Hot Wheels line that they're keeping a secret, but the fact that they're doing so was revealed some time ago).
Something tells me its not going to be a secret for much longer after the most recent trailer came out.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:58 PM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
I bought figures from the 2009 line and was looking forward to purchasing some from this film. I hope they put out /something/. At least the main crew and Harrison.
The Kre-O stuff is already out in some stores, but that looks like it as far as figures go, since no other kind of figures have been announced.
http://www.dadsbigplan.com/wp-conten...ction-sets.jpg

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
\ (Mattel has a ship from Star Trek XII in their Hot Wheels line that they're keeping a secret, but the fact that they're doing so was revealed some time ago).
Something tells me its not going to be a secret for much longer after the most recent trailer came out.
Agreed. It probably should be reaching stores fairly soon, now that the movie's only a month away now.
Old April 16 2013, 11:28 PM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, after seeing the figures from the last movie sit on the shelf for months and months, I'm not really surprised there won't be any this time.

Shame Playmates isn't making them anymore, because I think their old cartoony style would have been a MUCH bigger hit than what's being produced now-- not only with kids but with collectors like me as well.

Last edited by davejames; April 16 2013 at 11:41 PM.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:08 AM   #28
rafterman1701
Commodore

Trek toys have never been great toys nor have they sold very well. KRE-O is like LEGO in that it can sit on shelves after a movie is long gone. Movie based action figures can die very quickly once a film hits. Star Wars is an exception. To me the problem is that Trek needs good 3 and 3/4 figures like the Marvel, Star Wars and GI Joe lines. But they always get crappy 6 inch figures. At 6 inches, they have to be very well articulated to appeal to collectors.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:10 PM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

rafterman1701 wrote: View Post
But they always get crappy 6 inch figures. At 6 inches, they have to be very well articulated to appeal to collectors.
Collectors who leave them mint-in-pack and don't ever use the articulation.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 03:20 AM   #30
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

I'm hanging out for more STXII Into Darkness merch.

Perhaps there will be a late burst of action figures / toys further down the line... (fingers crossed!)

Personally speaking: I would like to see Playmates / DST sized starship with lights n sound of the new Dreadnaught adversary ship - that would be awesome!!!!

If not, then I may have to settle for a HW version - which I'm also keen to acquire, when available...

So glad I picked up the XI starship by Playmates, and both scaled HWs versions, and also the DVD special ed DVD-holder replica - when they became available!
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote