Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 17 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Danger Ace
Commander

Is J.J. Abams "Star Trek" Sustainable?

Just read the following: "‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Trailer: Will Kirk’s Mistake Doom the Enterprise?"

It got me wondering, with the frenetic energy of JJ Abrams "Star Trek" (2009) and promises of more-of-the-same in "Star Trek Into Darkness," can it be sustained or will it lead to burn out (the "candle that burns twice as bright but half as long" syndrome)? Can TPTB successfully shift gears (can't always throw fastballs) to prevent this from happening?

Based on past performance, I don't think so. A third-film won't be able to successfully sustain the frenzy. Abrams is playing all his trump cards with no regard for the future health of this franchise. You can only go bigger so much before the ballon pops. And even if this film is it for him before he goes over to "Star Wars" the same problem will exist for whoever takesover - where do you go next?
Old April 17 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
section9
Commander

Re: Is J.J. Abams "Star Trek" Sustainable?

Nonsense. Paramount could do something shrewd and hire Bay or, horrors, even Spielberg to do the final installment. Story and Directing is everything here.
Old April 17 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If they give me three entertaining films, I'll be more than ready for the next reboot.
Old April 17 2013, 12:27 AM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
where do you go next?

To the Borg and making them a terrifying force again.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
bullethead
Fleet Captain

where do you go next?
TV and/or video games.
Old April 17 2013, 12:39 AM   #6
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Eventually they'll come a "Batman and Robin" moment where there's this weird dichotomy of the money still rolling in at obscene amounts but also a critical mauling and growing sense of dissatisifaction with the formula. That's probably the model now Star Trek plays with is major league, and tentpole for the studio higher stakes. Probably not until the third has come and gone though.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:50 AM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't see a problem. These movies only come along every 3 or 4 years, so there's plenty of time for audiences to decompress and get ready for the next one.

Of course unlike others here, I don't see these movies as a bunch of mindless, Michael Bay-style action spectacles anyway. As "frenzied" as they may be, I still think Abrams manages to make them about a thousand times more engaging and compelling than the typical Bay movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:49 AM   #8
AggieJohn
Lieutenant

I really think it depends. One we don't know how good STID is going to be. It looks great but you never know. Two is if JJ is going to still be a part of Star Trek now that he is doing Star Wars. I expect him to step back but his influence would be much appreciated. It looks like, as much as its a go big movie, with cool CGI, there is also a strong moral, ethical, character driven story there as well. That can definitely be sustainable. That has been the driving force of Star Trek.
AggieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:59 AM   #9
Danger Ace
Commander

davejames wrote: View Post
I don't see a problem. These movies only come along every 3 or 4 years, so there's plenty of time for audiences to decompress and get ready for the next one.
Well, it is not just a case of decompressing per se, but more a feeling of sameness. Abrams filmmaking is in danger of coming off as cynical and one-note. I don't believe "Star Trek" has to be stripped of all meaning to be successfull.

... still think Abrams manages to make them about a thousand times more engaging and compelling than the typical Bay movie.
Right now, I tend to agree, however, my fear is that what Abrams gave us in 2009 represents the sum total of his "vision" as to what "Star Trek" could or should be - and those restrictions will get passed onto whomever follows.
Old April 17 2013, 03:09 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The people in charge never gave much thought to Trek's "sustainability" when they were cranking out the TOS-based movies in the '80s. That worked fine; this looks to be working even better.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:19 AM   #11
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Sustainability?

What is this? Organic farming?

Trek is Trek, always will be till the end of time. And then some.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:23 AM   #12
Gojira
Commodore

The only problem I see is that JJ has raised the bar as far as quality goes and the next person to take the helm of Star Trek will have a lot to live up to.
Old April 17 2013, 03:36 AM   #13
Danger Ace
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The people in charge never gave much thought to Trek's "sustainability" when they were cranking out the TOS-based movies in the '80s. That worked fine; this looks to be working even better.
I disagree. If you look at all the TOS films of the eighties you'll see a variety of styles and stories. They actively sought not to repeat themselves. The two most successful films were "The Wrath of Kahn" and "The Voyage Home" both very different in tone and temperment.

"Star Trek Into Darkness" looks highly polished but ultimately very similar to "Star Trek" (2009) and that makes me a wee bit sad and trepidatious. Of course, "the proof of the pudding" lay in the film we are given and we won't know that until it is released.
Old April 17 2013, 03:49 AM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

"Star Trek Into Darkness" looks highly polished but ultimately very similar to "Star Trek" (2009) and that makes me a wee bit sad and trepidatious. Of course, "the proof of the pudding" lay in the film we are given and we won't know that until it is released.
While I do see that Into Darkness and Trek 09 are higly polished I think Into Darkness has really cranked up the action to where Trek 09 will seem dull and plodding.

Last edited by Gojira; April 17 2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: I think
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Danger Ace
Commander

Gojira wrote: View Post
The only problem I see is that JJ has raised the bar as far as quality goes and the next person to take the helm of Star Trek will have a lot to live up to.
Abrams did raise the bar, however, Paramount never allowed the previous productions the time, resources and unabashed support. My dislike of the last two TNG films stem directly from Paramounts attitude of the day regarding the Trek franchise. Since then they've reconsidered their position and that is what had paved the way for Trek's elevation.

I would hate for TPTB to feel that Abrams not only raised the bar, but created a single, unalterable templete by which all future Trek's must conform.