Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 11 34.38%
Above average 19 59.38%
Average 1 3.13%
Below average 1 3.13%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16 2013, 05:17 AM   #31
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: Game of Thrones 3.3 - "Walk of Punishment" - Rate and discuss

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Was that supposed to be Vargo Hoat or someone else, out of curiosity? I don't recall a name being mentioned other than Jaime's recognition of the Bolton banner. If it was Hoat, I'm curious why they got rid of his signature lisp. And no mention of either the Brave Companions or the Bloody Mummers?
It was a Bolton bannerman named Locke. He takes the place of Hoat for the show, apparently.
Old April 16 2013, 05:22 AM   #32
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

If it was Hoat, I'm curious why they got rid of his signature lisp.
It'd be too silly in live action. Elmer Fudd cutting off Jamie's hand wouldn't have the same impact.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 05:40 AM   #33
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

THAPPHIRETH!
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:53 PM   #34
Forbin
Admiral

I'm really glad I didn't read the books. I didn't see the hand coming. I don't see ANYthing coming, and I love that.

(Also, I'm not confused when a character is different )
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:11 PM   #35
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
If it was Hoat, I'm curious why they got rid of his signature lisp.
It'd be too silly in live action. Elmer Fudd cutting off Jamie's hand wouldn't have the same impact.
Oh, I dunno. I experienced the books via audio CD. All the voices were done differently (and brilliantly) by Roy Dotrice (who, incidentally, played the Pyromancer who gave Tyrion the wildfire last season). I even think the production of the first book got some award for the most voices/accents done by one person in a single audio book. Anyways, he did the lisp for Hoat so well, it was damn creepy. Here you have a guy you couldn't possibly take seriously listening to him and he goes and chops of Jaime's hand without a second thought with the swiftest of brutality. Personally, I think it would have been more powerful that way. I understand why the decision was made for production purposes, but I still wish it was Hoat. They probably didn't want to insult people with speech impediments or something...
Old April 16 2013, 06:06 PM   #36
Forbin
Admiral

Luckily, Big Bang Theowy doesn't have that pwobwem!
Old April 16 2013, 06:31 PM   #37
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^
Old April 16 2013, 10:14 PM   #38
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Another great episode with a truly shocking and unexpected ending! That should lead to some interesting...complications for the future.

Ryan wrote: View Post
For Daenerys I suspect

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:37 AM   #39
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

A very good episode. I voted above average in anticipation of even better episodes to come. There were some brutal moments, but alongside them was the most humor we've yet seen in an episode of GoT. The choice of music over the end credits was a final punctation of that juxtaposition.

In the first season they had to minimize scenes involving horses because of budgetary contraints, but here we had a well-realized horseback chase scene. The budget increase is noticeable in the production values this season.

Hot Pie's farewell to Arya and Gendry was sweet. Arya asking the Hound if he remembered what happened the last time they were at that inn was a good callback to the first season (it's where he killed Arya's friend after the incident with Joffrey).

I didn't mind the scene with Podrick, but the Stannis/Mel scene made me cringe. The Blackfish rocked and I'm enjoying Dany being quietly confident and assertive.

By the way, this season set a new series high in the ratings: the first airing drew 4.724 million viewers.
Old April 17 2013, 05:47 AM   #40
Saul
Rear Admiral

Have been waiting for Jamie to get his just deserts after all the shit he's done. Totally unexpected, as usual.
Old April 17 2013, 01:41 PM   #41
Forbin
Admiral

The Pod scene: the last hooker's entrance was hysterical. We see feet poke out from behind the curtain, and she opens the curtain by spreading her legs.
Old April 17 2013, 05:24 PM   #42
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

My favourite episode of the season so far and the first where I voted Excellent. I loved how this managed to fit nearly everyone in, even if Jon and some of the others got short scenes.

Robb managed to look more commanding and kingly without his bride and I thought that his uncle and great-uncle were well cast; Clive Russell (remember him romancing Gail Platt in Coronation Street?!) had all the Blackfish's gruff authority and Tobias Menzies was as well-intentioned and ineffective as Edmure should be.

I loved the bits with Tyrion, Bronn and Pod and the small council scenes. Did anyone else see Varys' tongue going into his cheek as Baelish boasted about Lysa's feelings for him? Had the look of a Conleth Hill ad-lib.

Still not sure about the actor playing Tormund - is he meant to be more of a mix between the book's Tormund and the Thenn? Speaking of beyond the wall, did I see Burn Gorman among the Nights' Watch men at Craster's house?

The Theon storyline is interesting because it's so different from the books. I thought I knew where it was going but now I'm not so sure; certainly, I'm less sure about the identity of his original captors than I had been. Mind you, two attempted rapes in the space of several minutes of tv?

As for the last scene; well, coming as it did after Jamie saved Brienne from a rape, I almost felt sorry for him. Then I remembered him pushing Bran from the tower and shoving a dagger in poor Jory's eye, as he commanded his men to kill Ned's men and I thought 'fuck him.' Still, no less an effective and traumatic scene for all that, brilliantly acted by both men.

Incidentally, was Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol among the northmen singing The Bear and the Maiden Fair earlier in the episode? I believe he's filmed a cameo for this season.
Old April 17 2013, 05:35 PM   #43
ITL
Vice Admiral

Yep, I'm sure I read somewhere that Lightbody was indeed in that scene.
Old April 17 2013, 06:54 PM   #44
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
(...)did I see Burn Gorman among the Nights' Watch men at Craster's house?
That's what I thought. IMDb's credited him for that episode.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 07:41 PM   #45
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The Theon storyline is interesting because it's so different from the books. I thought I knew where it was going but now I'm not so sure