RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,409
Posts: 5,359,717
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 560
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 16 2013, 03:20 AM   #76
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Finn wrote: View Post
I'm still amazed at how the marathoners kept on going, just a mile away. The area around Kenmore station was packed with cops. People kept going on toward where the explosions were, even after a few people tried to tell us. They didn't realize what was happening obviously.

I'm home finally. It was an amazing game today, marred by what happened within an hour of the game.
The game is always great, morning with baseball and breakfast and everyone goes out and watches the runners.

Now some sicko wrecked it. Even if it's some crazy American who wanted to be famous, it's still terror to me.

A shame where this world is going. But life must go on and we must enjoy it.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #77
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Thoughts and prayers definitely go out to Boston... and the families who have been hit by this unfathomable tragedy... but also for an end to this mindless bloodshed.

Many of us here on TBBS live our lives peacefully and occasionally indulge in hobbies; all is right with our world. But outside, there are still so many brutal people who are either deranged or have been brainwashed to believe in a faith that condones the killing of innocent people for imaginary causes. It's just sad how we're still so far away from living in a truly peaceful place where everyone gets along and those who can't are helped before they do harm.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:51 AM   #78
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Finn wrote: View Post
I'm still amazed at how the marathoners kept on going, just a mile away. The area around Kenmore station was packed with cops. People kept going on toward where the explosions were, even after a few people tried to tell us. They didn't realize what was happening obviously.

I'm home finally. It was an amazing game today, marred by what happened within an hour of the game.
The game is always great, morning with baseball and breakfast and everyone goes out and watches the runners.

Now some sicko wrecked it. Even if it's some crazy American who wanted to be famous, it's still terror to me.

A shame where this world is going. But life must go on and we must enjoy it.
I hope if this is some American nutjob, they treat him as a terrorist. Domestic or International, attacking innocents like that is still terrorism, doesn't matter if he's a part of some cell or not.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 04:10 AM   #79
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Thoughts and prayers definitely go out to Boston... and the families who have been hit by this unfathomable tragedy... but also for an end to this mindless bloodshed.

Many of us here on TBBS live our lives peacefully and occasionally indulge in hobbies; all is right with our world. But outside, there are still so many brutal people who are either deranged or have been brainwashed to believe in a faith that condones the killing of innocent people for imaginary causes. It's just sad how we're still so far away from living in a truly peaceful place where everyone gets along and those who can't are helped before they do harm.
Well said I'm going to borrow part of this for else-ware.
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:28 PM   #80
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

It appears my initial hunch was right, that this was the work of an amateur bomber. I've read reports on the CNN website stating that investigations reveal the explosives were made of crude materials and that the perpetrator(s) didn't have a specifically large target and wasn't going for "maximum damage."

Amateur or not, this doesn't make the attack on innocent people any less deplorable or horrific. The attacker must be brought to justice.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:09 PM   #81
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...WCaQmAofxNDHmO

According to the New York Post a Saudi national is in custody and the police have searched his apartment. His roommate described him as quiet and "a good boy" who couldn't have done such a thing.
__________________
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:34 PM   #82
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...WCaQmAofxNDHmO

According to the New York Post a Saudi national is in custody and the police have searched his apartment. His roommate described him as quiet and "a good boy" who couldn't have done such a thing.
That was claimed yesterday, but, outside of Murdoch-world, the cops say they have nobody in custody
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22171684
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 09:06 PM   #83
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
6079SmithW wrote: View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...WCaQmAofxNDHmO

According to the New York Post a Saudi national is in custody and the police have searched his apartment. His roommate described him as quiet and "a good boy" who couldn't have done such a thing.
That was claimed yesterday, but, outside of Murdoch-world, the cops say they have nobody in custody
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22171684
I've read that the AP says the Saudi in question has been cleared as a suspect, but his apartment was searched.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...tive_in_b.html

My information was incomplete but a search warrant was issued and his apartment searched as mentioned above. Also, the original article I posted has been edited to say the man was recently ruled out.

*edit* Just trying to clear up any confusion I've unintentionally inserted into this thread.
__________________
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.

Last edited by 6079SmithW; April 16 2013 at 09:24 PM.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 10:50 PM   #84
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

I did wonder why nobody else carried the story...

http://gawker.com/5994810/the-vanish...ium=socialflow
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 10:53 PM   #85
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Also, no warrant was issued. He voluntarily allowed his room to be searched.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:06 PM   #86
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I did wonder why nobody else carried the story...

http://gawker.com/5994810/the-vanish...ium=socialflow
Well, sorry guys. I done goofed.

I should have been more wary considering the forum I found those articles linked on. I am very interested in finding out who did this and jumped the gun.

At least the man's good name has been cleared.
__________________
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:25 AM   #87
B.J.
Rear Admiral
 
B.J.'s Avatar
 
Location: Huntsville, AL, USA
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

And now the Westboro idiots are planning on picketing the funerals of the victims. (Pick your news source.)
__________________
B.J. --- bj-o23.deviantart.com
B.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:33 PM   #88
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Two words: Sick. Degenerates.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:24 PM   #89
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Only they would sink that low. I guess we shouldn't even be surprised. I'm thinking something much more unprintable here.

As for the bomber(s?) and 2001 hijackers and other countless perpetrators, all they truly accomplish, again and again, is bringing out the best in other people.

David Letterman summed it up as well as anyone 12 years ago, one week after the WTC/Pentagon attacks. I'm looking forward to his observations tonight.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 12:52 AM   #90
bluedana
Moderator
 
bluedana's Avatar
 
Location: on the raggedy edge with bluedana
Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Dear local and national media,

Please stop making sh*t up and reporting it as news. We are on edge enough as it is.

Thank you, The City of Boston.
__________________
Fall seven times. Stand up eight. -- Japanese proverb.
bluedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.