Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 16 2013, 12:25 PM   #46
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Re: What REALLY happened to Dr. Daystrom after 'The Ulitimate Computer

Both Lawrence (as a individual) and Arabs (as a group) are Human.

Could a Human Being simply be taught to become a shape shifter?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:49 PM   #47
Marsden
Captain

Is the Space Pope reptillian?

Actually, I thought Izar was a colony founded by people from Earth, which would still make them Humans, but the book I read that from has since been declared not authorized.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:16 PM   #48
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

In the future, if the majority of Catholics are not Human, then I can easily see a non-Human Pope.

You just know that on the first private warp ships traveling out to another species home world, there going to be a mission aboard.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:41 PM   #49
Timo
Admiral

More like an illusionist, probably - capable of changing the way he appears to the audience, but not actual physical measurements, not the way Odo can squeeze through a keyhole or Martia can escape from leg irons.

Kirk had already encountered such an illusionist, the Salt Vampire. If Garth falls in the same category, then Kirk's apparent amazement at Martia's ability to physically change shape in ST6 becomes more understandable.

TOS has already established that certain Mandrake the Magician suggestive powers are available in prescription drug form for regular humans: the Venus Drug makes you so self-assured everybody thinks you are irresistible and the most beautiful thing on or off Earth, or whatever. The Antosian cure might be similar, just a tad more extensive...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:55 AM   #50
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Both Lawrence (as a individual) and Arabs (as a group) are Human.

Could an Izarite simply be taught to become a shape shifter? Charlie Evans was taught to do more than that.
Old April 17 2013, 01:29 PM   #51
Timo
Admiral

...By Thasians, who were pretty impressively alien themselves. We learned next to nothing about Antosians, but supposedly they were quite vulnerable to Garth's conventionally armed rage, and thus probably not in quite the same category as Thasians.

Or then Garth posed no threat to the Antosians, but he and his crew were fooled by these superior beings into thinking that the threat existed, just like the Organians fooled Kirk and Kor.

In any case, even though Garth learned "cellular metamorphosis", which sounds awfully physical, and used this to "restore" destroyed body parts, which again sounds like actual physical altering of one's dimensions, the effect we ultimately see does not appear to be one of body part modification. When Garth changes appearance, things like clothes change as well. Is Garth actually naked and exposing the outer layer of his favorite or "default" body when we see him dressed up in his silly poncho and boots? He retains this look when knocked unconscious...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:22 PM   #52
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
...By Thasians, who were pretty impressively alien themselves. We learned next to nothing about Antosians, but supposedly they were quite vulnerable to Garth's conventionally armed rage, and thus probably not in quite the same category as Thasians.

Or then Garth posed no threat to the Antosians, but he and his crew were fooled by these superior beings into thinking that the threat existed, just like the Organians fooled Kirk and Kor.

In any case, even though Garth learned "cellular metamorphosis", which sounds awfully physical, and used this to "restore" destroyed body parts, which again sounds like actual physical altering of one's dimensions, the effect we ultimately see does not appear to be one of body part modification. When Garth changes appearance, things like clothes change as well. Is Garth actually naked and exposing the outer layer of his favorite or "default" body when we see him dressed up in his silly poncho and boots? He retains this look when knocked unconscious...

Timo Saloniemi
Garth's power sounds similar to that of Norma Cenva's, in that he used the powers the Antosians taught him to rebuild his body (at least to me.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:32 AM   #53
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
In the future, if the majority of Catholics are not Human, then I can easily see a non-Human Pope.

You just know that on the first private warp ships traveling out to another species home world, there going to be a mission aboard.

See "A Case of Conscience" by James Blish. Or, perhaps, "Good News from the Vatican" by Robert Silverberg.
Old April 19 2013, 03:56 PM   #54
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Oh please, let's hope not.
Old April 19 2013, 04:02 PM   #55
Marsden
Captain

I'm sorry, but "Is the Space Pope Reptillain" is one of Bender's comebacks, not up there with "Bite my Shiny Metal Ass!" but he said it more than once. I just thought it fit with the is Garth an Izarian as a little one-liner.

I like jokes and humor and light hearted conversations, not dreadful seriousness and even worse, insults and intolerance.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:07 PM   #56
publiusr
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
...Yes, they say he will be taken someplace to get help, but was he held responsible for what happened? Was he even tried for his role in what happened? And where was he sent to be rehabilitated? What did he do after his rehab stint?
I think he was rebabed and did more work--but under scrutiny.

I might have allowed him to do an M-6 but using memory ingrams of very ethical Vulcans who achived kolinahr.

This would prevent breakdowns. I might have it aboard a robot ship for the Kelvins to make sure they leave tha galaxy in peace. And of course, the ship would be unarmed
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 09:26 PM   #57
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^I like your idea a lot, except for the fact the the Kelvans decided to stay here instead of going back to their own galaxy. Perhaps the M-6 was built and used as a computer that would plan and help the Federation in certain tasks (all under the same strict scrutiny as exercised on AI's in the Sprawl Trilogy by William Gibson) and it helps out with certain things now and then.
Old April 27 2013, 09:46 PM   #58
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Likely spent the rest of his days at the Federation Funny Farm.
I would have to agree as well.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote