Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 15 2013, 11:15 PM   #241
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Mom takes a blood pressure med and a cholestrol med. I don't think either of them are steroids. She also has an eyedrop to keep her retinopathy under control.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:16 AM   #242
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Is she still high? As far as I know none of those drugs will cause hyperglycemia. I really wouldn't worry unless it was a regular thing, or she's not going down at all. Another possibility is a forgotten injection, or poor absorption. There are just so many possible reasons a type 1 can go high.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:25 AM   #243
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

My dad gives her all her injections and she was back to 232 this afternoon. She's been more agitated the past few days and I don't know why. But when she's been agitated, her sugar's tended to go higher.
Old April 16 2013, 04:11 AM   #244
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^That makes sense. Agitation=stress, stress=hormones, hormones=high blood sugar, high blood sugar=agitation. It's a wonderful cycle, huh?

View my art!
Old April 16 2013, 04:47 AM   #245
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Yeah. Gives me the shakes...
Old April 16 2013, 05:40 AM   #246
scotpens
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
. . . Type 1 diabetics are not expected to achieve the same kind of control that is possible for type 2 diabetics, nor would that be possible, even under the best circumstances. The kind of upswing I mentioned in my earlier post is not atypical or alarming for a type 1 diabetic. A type 2 might freak out and call their doctor if they saw a number like that on their meter, but a type 1 will generally just get annoyed and take some insulin.
Indeed. I have type 2 diabetes and I check my fasting blood sugar level two or three times a week. I get antsy if it reads 140-150, but it's only spiked that high a few times in the last several years. I sympathize with those who have type 1 diabetes or who have to care for relatives with type 1 -- it's really a completely different disease.
Old April 16 2013, 07:44 AM   #247
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That's something some people don't understand. They think it's the same animal.
Old April 16 2013, 09:54 AM   #248
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

It seems some keys on my laptop aren't working anymore. I'll take a look at in the morning before I disappear for a week or so. Most likely will now use my laptop at the desk I have. No more sitting in bed with it.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:50 AM   #249
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

have you tried putting the laptop face down and shaking it out, carefully? Or cleaning it with a vac? There might be a few morsels stuck between or under the keys.
Enjoy your week of disappearance!

Ashu wrote: View Post
[...] I'm depressed as hell and missing my friend Bryan a bit more today than i am normally. [...] I do not have the patience to work my 3-4 jobs i have normally, plus take on the work load taken on because of every one slacking. Plus, i am surrounded by a bunch of gossipy whiny women who don't stop talking

I need a raise...or a new job...or both.
Anti-depression remedy: {{{{{{{Ashu}}}}}}} (a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away )

As for the work load: I think it might be time you had a word with your boss or with the workers association about your co-workers. You could perhaps even use the gossip in your favour by discrediting the lazy co-workers so much that the bosses hear about it. (But it takes a lot of diplomatic skill to manipulate people to such a degree without getting exposed as the origin of that manipulation.)

For first aid against talkative surroundings I recommend a walkman or a little mp3 player. I have loaded mine with a few audio books and with interviews and audio blogs from my favourite actor. It's a pleasant and calming way to blank out the chatter.
Old April 16 2013, 03:20 PM   #250
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
This is the reason for many of my arrghs, and to be honest I think it's fucked me up a little bit, psychologically.

View my art!
Old April 16 2013, 03:51 PM   #251
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

Yay hugs Thank you.

Yeah, my ipod works wonders. The only problem being i have to be relatively paying attention to everything just in case they need me somewhere else. But some days i don't care just how much i am ignoring someone i need to zone out the drama. I am just glad that i am relatively close with my bosses so i can *try* to bring some of these issues to them. It isn't always 100% foolproof but they can kind of poke at the lazy people and be extra annoying if i mention something.

I think part of the problem as well is that people keep quitting and they aren't filling positions like they should so more just keeps getting piled on those of us who do work. So all in all the whole situation just gets really frustrating. We'll see what happens, either way i'm going to keep handing out resumes until I get something a bit better.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 05:51 PM   #252
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I swear, I'm usually in a good mood and not easy to anger, but I have another argh and need to vent. I just got back from the pharmacy, and need to say that I hate fucking insurance companies. They are corrupt, money-hungry, useless bastards, all their CEO's should be shot, and the US needs to fucking grow up and join the rest of the civilized world and provide universal healthcare for its people.

There. All better now.

View my art!
Old April 16 2013, 07:26 PM   #253
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

This is the reason for many of my arrghs, and to be honest I think it's fucked me up a little bit, psychologically.
I understand.

As for the pharmacy issue, what's not being covered for you?
Old April 16 2013, 07:52 PM   #254
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I understand.

As for the pharmacy issue, what's not being covered for you?
Birth control. It's not as bad as when they won't give me insulin or test strips (obviously), it's just that it's happened so often and with truly life or death medications/supplies that I have no patience even for this.

I was also really excited about getting this birth control. I've never taken any just because, with diabetes, it's a bit riskier, but my periods have really started to mess up my blood sugars, have become increasingly irregular, cause asthma (it's the only time I ever actually get asthma), and I've started getting pretty ill for several days leading up. Everything's been checked out to make sure nothing's wrong, but it's started to really negatively impact my life and my health -- not only because the hormones directly mess up my blood sugar, but because being ill affects my ability to exercise and eat properly, which then in turn affects my diabetes as well. I finally got clearance from all my doctors to start on a low dose seasonal birth control, to reduce the symptoms and make it so I have only 4 periods a year, and I was practically giddy with excitement about getting it. Then they fucked it up.

View my art!
Old April 16 2013, 08:18 PM   #255
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Birth control should be free under the new laws. Why is this causing such a snafu?