CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 26 2013, 11:54 PM   #121
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Was moving 'The Next Generation' over to movies a bad decision?

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ The story which was Berman and Piller's decision to go with. New TNG was for paying customers. They needed to develop movies that people would want to PAY to see over and over. They failed to sell TNG to audiences.

I'm sure we've all seen this. My point is, with movies you have to sell them to the audience. With a franchise movie like Trek you have to make it as appealing to fans and general audiences alike. Rewatch value in theaters and people telling family and friends to go see a certain movie is how movies can be sucessful. INS takes for granted audience tastes and presumes everybody will like and go see the film multiple times because TNG was a breakout tv show and popular. Generations made the same presumption as INS in my opinion. FC and NEM try there damnedest to appeal to the masses and make as much money as possible. FC succeeded while NEM floundered.
To be fair a 6.0 rating or more which 3 of the ST series usually achieved would be excellent today. I think Voyager had some respectable numbers. Enterprise is unfortunate because people weren't watching when the quality improved. Oh well.
Old March 26 2013, 11:54 PM   #122
Dream
Admiral

ST09 beats TMP even if you adjust for inflation.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 12:17 AM   #123
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It's slightly under, however remember the climate of the times, in 1979, there had been no new Trek in 10 years, there was a groundswell of support, and 3-4 blockbuster scifi projects had come about, there was Star Wars-like anticipation.

In 2009, ST was at low ebb...7 years away from the theaters, a failed TV series 4 years earlier and almost no buzz till right before the movie came out to anyone other than a Trekkie. In this context, ST09 handily beat expectations, and STTMP came nowhere near SW.
Old March 27 2013, 12:21 AM   #124
Dream
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
It's slightly under
ST09 is the winner.

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/...d=startrek.htm
Old March 28 2013, 11:00 PM   #125
Stardate
Fleet Captain

It's slightly under
ST09 is the winner.

How do u explain this then: STTMP was 5th most popular movie at box office in 1979 compare to ST09 13th in 2009. We can maybe argue ST09 is the winner in US market but overseas & worldwide STMP is the winner.
Old March 28 2013, 11:05 PM   #126
Dream
Admiral

Williard wrote: View Post
How do u explain this then: STTMP was 5th most popular movie at box office in 1979 compare to ST09 13th in 2009. We can maybe argue ST09 is the winner in US market but overseas & worldwide STMP is the winner.
Where are you getting your numbers from that TMP did better worldwide? Trek has never done that well overseas.
Old March 28 2013, 11:27 PM   #127
Stardate
Fleet Captain

Many sites like f.e. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/1979/0ST01.php says STTMP grossed $139 million worldwide divide by average ticket prize for 1979 $ 2.51 = 55.378 million x $7.50 (average ticket prize for 2009) = $414.3 million worldwide

p.s you are right about Trek not preforming good overseas but at the time. Shortly after Star Wars there was great hype for syfy movies that i am guessing helped STMP overseas great deal..
Old March 29 2013, 03:28 PM   #128
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Also important: I believe Star Trek: The Motion Picture was in theatres for quite a bit longer than Star Trek was.
Old March 30 2013, 04:32 AM   #129
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

It's slightly under
ST09 is the winner.

With inflated ticket prices, that's not saying much to barely "beat" a film released in 1979. Then again, no one even talks about the film, so that may say much about the lack of cultural heat surrounding the film.
Old March 30 2013, 06:18 PM   #130
Harvey
Admiral

That's why those statistics adjust for inflation. Domestically, Star Trek (2009) sold more tickets than Star Trek--The Motion Picture (1979).

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/20/star...hise-domestic/

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 09:52 AM   #131
JamesRye
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was moving TNG to the big screen a bad decision?

I would say no, but I do think that the move was rushed, especially in the case of Star Trek Generations - review here:
http://ryesofthegeek.wordpress.com/

I'd also contend that ST:TNG never really had a proper movie on the big screen! TNG was an ensemble peice, unlike TOS, which had the big 3 characters. I think that it needed a writer and director that appreciated this - someone like Jos Whedon, whose Serenity movie and Avengers film both catered for the ensemble casts.
JamesRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 01:22 PM   #132
Creepy Critter
Admiral

JamesRye wrote: View Post

I would say no, but I do think that the move was rushed, especially in the case of Star Trek Generations - review here:

I'd also contend that ST:TNG never really had a proper movie on the big screen! TNG was an ensemble peice, unlike TOS, which had the big 3 characters. I think that it needed a writer and director that appreciated this - someone like Jos Whedon, whose Serenity movie and Avengers film both catered for the ensemble casts.
So Star Trek: The Big Chill?
Old April 15 2013, 10:09 PM   #133
MacLeod
Admiral

Williard wrote: View Post
Many sites like f.e. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/1979/0ST01.php says STTMP grossed $139 million worldwide divide by average ticket prize for 1979 $ 2.51 = 55.378 million x $7.50 (average ticket prize for 2009) = $414.3 million worldwide

p.s you are right about Trek not preforming good overseas but at the time. Shortly after Star Wars there was great hype for syfy movies that i am guessing helped STMP overseas great deal..
Well it would be more accurate to say ST doesn't do very well in certain markets overseas for example ST (2009) did ~US$128 of which some ~US$35.4 (or around 28%) came from just one market the UK. The next two closest where Germany and Australi with around US$12.7m.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...startrek11.htm

So it would seem that US and UK are the key markets for a ST film. I suspect that for the many films this is true, the English speaking countries are the markets from which films make the most money.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:07 PM   #134
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

While I agree, the problem is that Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner would have never agreed to the films being ensemble pieces like the series was. For that matter, neither would Paramount. By the time of the films, they were considered "the big stars" and, as such, they got the major plotlines and also a lot of input into the stories. Which hurt the stories, IMHO.

First Contact did the best job of the four films, IMHO, at utilizing the ensemble, but even that was a bit too much of the Picard and Data show for my tastes.

Paramount forgot what it was that made TNG successful when they moved it to the big screen. Unfortunately, that is fairly standard for Hollywood.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:22 PM   #135
sonak
Vice Admiral

a "proper movie?"

FC was very well-reviewed, did very well at the box office, was well-received by fans, remains popular, and did the best job of giving all the characters something to do.(except perhaps Bev again, sadly)

what exactly is your definition of a proper movie?