Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x08 Cold War
Geronimo! 34 27.42%
NIce Warrior! 66 53.23%
lukewarm 21 16.94%
Will spring never come? 3 2.42%
Dive Dive Dive! 0 0%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15 2013, 06:26 PM   #106
Marsden
Commander

Re: Poll: 7x08 Cold War review and discussion

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Y
Nitpick: the captain has four stripes on his uniform, which means he is an O7 captain. However, my understading is that submarines usually have an officer with a lower rank for its captain, like a Commander or even a Lt. Commander. Or are things different in Russia (or were different in Soviet Russia)?
In Soviet Russia, the sub commands you!

I'm sorry, that was bad.

I really liked it, I didn't like it more than the other episodes but I didn't hate them as much as seems to be the popular opinion.

And I did have a bit of an RTD flashback when the professor wanted the Doctor to kiss him.

Was I the only one who thought of the Scooby Doo episode with the caveman frozen in a block of ice?

(yes)
Old April 15 2013, 06:51 PM   #107
The Keeper
Commodore

For most of this season I've been too disappointed to even bother saying so. I was sure that by this seasons end I'd probably be saying my good-buys to the Doctor for good but Cold War has renewed my faith. Nice Warrior!

For me, what some people have said made CW boring/bad/etc. was what made it work. Just a simple Dr. Who story told in the classic style. The STORY was where the sparkle lie, not in the elaborate sets/special effects, hoards of aliens or cutesy choreography of the last episodes.
Old April 15 2013, 07:15 PM   #108
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Well said!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 08:08 PM   #109
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Wow Smith's doctor really is 2nd doctor 2.0

__

__

__
For the homage to really work, though, Clara would need to wear the same outfit as Zoe.
Old April 15 2013, 08:15 PM   #110
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

That was the second Doctor? God I remember watching that when I was a kid.
Old April 15 2013, 08:32 PM   #111
Wereghost
Commodore

I remember it from a series of repeats called The Five Faces Of Doctor Who from the early Eighties. I think I enjoyed The Krotons quite a lot.
Old April 15 2013, 08:41 PM   #112
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

The Krotons is excellent!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 08:56 PM   #113
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Loved it... And big points for me, for the shoutouts to Ultravox... Being a big Ultravox fan from back in the day, I was glad to see them get a holla!
Old April 16 2013, 12:45 AM   #114
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Nitpick: the captain has four stripes on his uniform, which means he is an O7 captain.
Counter-nitpick: Four stripes (in the USA) means an O-6 Captain. O-7 is called "Rear Admiral (Lower Half)".

However, my understading is that submarines usually have an officer with a lower rank for its captain, like a Commander or even a Lt. Commander. Or are things different in Russia (or were different in Soviet Russia)?
1. Things are undoubtedly different in Russia.
2. For the longest time American Ballistic Missile Subs were always commanded by a four-strip O-6 Captain. This change sometime in the late 90s I believe. So if that had been an American sub in the same time frame as this episode, it would have been quite appropriate for the CO of the boat to have four stripes on his sleeves.

For what it's worth, a Russian Naval officer with four stripes on his sleeves in 1983 would be called a "Captain 2nd Rank", equivalent to a US Navy Commander (O-5) with three sleeve stripes..
Old April 16 2013, 01:46 AM   #115
The Wormhole
Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Nitpick: the captain has four stripes on his uniform, which means he is an O7 captain.
Counter-nitpick: Four stripes (in the USA) means an O-6 Captain. O-7 is called "Rear Admiral (Lower Half)".
Shit, you have no idea how many times I've made that mistake! Damn, this is kind of embarassing.
Old April 16 2013, 05:30 AM   #116
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Don't sweat it. To err is human.
Old April 16 2013, 11:48 AM   #117
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I wanted to vote Nice Warrior but I realized that was because Mars being the source planet made me happy and if that was all that tipped it out of lukewarm that was not enough.

I couldn't get over the Professor having his nice little cheering-Clara chat while sitting in an OPEN DOORWAY with his back to a room/corridor from which the enemy could easily come. No one sits with their back to an open doorway while fleeing for their life from an mysterious alien.

Also the 80's name dropping seemed unusually lame.

It was a gazillion times better than last week though.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:36 PM   #118
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wonderful episode! David Warner, Liam Cunningham, submarine adventure, the return of the Ice Warriors and a very wet Clara. Can't ask for much more than that.

Loved all of the small references to The Second Doctor and I hope there are more to come. While I didn't initially like the whole "escape from the armor" bit, it did grow on me and it's a nice update to the Ice Warriors. The only two things I didn't like about this episode was that it was a few minutes shorter than usual and there wasn't nearly enough David Warner. Maybe he was too busy being awesome villain to Tom Baker's The Fourth Doctor in the current season of Big Finish audios.

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Did anyone take note when the Ice Warrior mentioned the "old times" and it seemed to put the Doctor almost off-kilter? It took me back to Lady Peinforte's conversation with the Doctor in the 25th anniversary story Silver Nemesis, which I think is being added to the iPlayer catalogue today. In that story Peinforte referred to the "Old Time" on Gallifrey, a time of chaos, and raised what we now think of as the First Question. Could be nothing, of course.
Actually, I thought more along the lines of Big Finish's The Judgement of Isskar.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I can actually nitpick the sets and militaria to quite a degree this week, though - I've been aboard a cold war era former Soviet sub, and they're nothing like that bloody spacious (I know, a production necessity), nor do they have smooth floors, refer to the control room as the bridge, nor have FN Browning Hi-Powers as the crew's sidearms. Though it's nice to see the AKs (or more likely Norinco copies) actually used in the correct period, rather than the year five billion for a change...
All those nitpicks aside (all valid but, in the end, don't really matter), the only thing that bothered me was when Captain Zhukov called the bulkheads "a wall." As a sailor, I couldn't help but be bugged by that.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Best Gatiss script ever? Could be...
Best Doctor Who Gatiss script? Absolutely. Best Gatiss script period? No. I would say either Poirot's "Hallowe'en Party" or Sherlock's "The Great Game" were better, although they're both adaptations.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:53 PM   #119
Starkers
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Wonderful episode! David Warner, Liam Cunningham, submarine adventure, the return of the Ice Warriors and a very wet Clara. Can't ask for much more than that.

Loved all of the small references to The Second Doctor and I hope there are more to come. While I didn't initially like the whole "escape from the armor" bit, it did grow on me and it's a nice update to the Ice Warriors. The only two things I didn't like about this episode was that it was a few minutes shorter than usual and there wasn't nearly enough David Warner. Maybe he was too busy being awesome villain to Tom Baker's The Fourth Doctor in the current season of Big Finish audios.

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Did anyone take note when the Ice Warrior mentioned the "old times" and it seemed to put the Doctor almost off-kilter? It took me back to Lady Peinforte's conversation with the Doctor in the 25th anniversary story Silver Nemesis, which I think is being added to the iPlayer catalogue today. In that story Peinforte referred to the "Old Time" on Gallifrey, a time of chaos, and raised what we now think of as the First Question. Could be nothing, of course.
Actually, I thought more along the lines of Big Finish's The Judgement of Isskar.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I can actually nitpick the sets and militaria to quite a degree this week, though - I've been aboard a cold war era former Soviet sub, and they're nothing like that bloody spacious (I know, a production necessity), nor do they have smooth floors, refer to the control room as the bridge, nor have FN Browning Hi-Powers as the crew's sidearms. Though it's nice to see the AKs (or more likely Norinco copies) actually used in the correct period, rather than the year five billion for a change...
All those nitpicks aside (all valid but, in the end, don't really matter), the only thing that bothered me was when Captain Zhukov called the bulkheads "a wall." As a sailor, I couldn't help but be bugged by that.

Best Doctor Who Gatiss script? Absolutely. Best Gatiss script period? No. I would say either Poirot's "Hallowe'en Party" or Sherlock's "The Great Game" were better, although they're both adaptations.
Sorry I did mean his best Who script, it's always annoyed me somewhat that he's written so many sub par Who eps when I know he can write good stuff!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 10:07 PM   #120
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Emh wrote: View Post
Sorry I did mean his best Who script, it's always annoyed me somewhat that he's written so many sub par Who eps when I know he can write good stuff!
Very true. He seems to have the same problem as Chris Chibnall who has written some great non-Doctor Who scripts (even with Torchwood) but his Doctor Who scripts haven't been the best (although his latest efforts, "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and "The Power of Three" were fairly good).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote