Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 15 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Markonian
Captain

Re: Quantum slipstream drive questions

Voyager actually returned in mid-2378. Remember them celebrating First Contact Day in Season 7?

Do you think we'll hear about Trans-Slipstream again?
Old April 15 2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Markonian wrote: View Post
Voyager actually returned in mid-2378. Remember them celebrating First Contact Day in Season 7?
But Neelix was the one throwing the party, so who says the anniversary was in Earth years?

As far as the Pocket novel continuity is concerned, "Endgame" happened at the end of 2377/start of 2378. There are alternate fan interpretations out there, but that's the way it is in the novelverse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Mage
Fleet Captain

I always was under the impression that the end of a season was the end of a year, roughly. The Dominion War ended late 2375, which was the end of season 5 for Voyager. So season 6 ends late 2376 and the season 7 ended late 2377. That's how I always saw it anyway.
Old April 15 2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^And that's the assumption used in the books, yes. It does create a couple of continuity glitches here and there, but what doesn't in Trek?

Old April 16 2013, 02:49 AM   #20
SicOne
Commodore

So are we assuming that Voyager somehow communicated slipstream tech information back to Starfleet via operational portions of the Hirogen network, whereupon the Vesta and Meerian-class ships were initiated? I find it difficult to accept that a 100,000-year-old comm network spanning tens of thousands of light-years just flarging crashed completely and irrevocably because of one node incident.

Or do we assume that Starfleet had a slipstream drive project already in progress, which led to Vestas and Meerians? Clearly, Meerians were already in-service by the time of the "Pathfinder" episode, which AFAIK was the only time since "Message In A Bottle" in the Voyager TV series that Voyager communicated with Starfleet.

Additionally, is slipstream drive an actual "drive"? Or is it a form of deflector-related technology? Or both? The focusing thing on the Vesta makes me wonder, as do the modified Voyager nacelles that have been written about but not seen yet.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:20 AM   #21
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

SicOne wrote: View Post
[D]o we assume that Starfleet had a slipstream drive project already in progress, which led to Vestas and Meerians? Clearly, Meerians were already in-service by the time of the "Pathfinder" episode, which AFAIK was the only time since "Message In A Bottle" in the Voyager TV series that Voyager communicated with Starfleet.

Additionally, is slipstream drive an actual "drive"? Or is it a form of deflector-related technology? Or both? The focusing thing on the Vesta makes me wonder, as do the modified Voyager nacelles that have been written about but not seen yet.
Slipstream is a drive, but it also requires modifications to the shielding of ships and to the ships themselves to be a workable drive--the Typhon Pact needed to acquire Dominion shield technology as a precondition for deploying slipstream drive.

As for the question of whether or not the Federation (and the Romulans, and the Breen, et cetera) had slipstream research programs before Voyager came with its technology, I'm inclined to think that there were at least research programs in the more advanced Alpha and Beta Quadrants towards advanced propulsion methods which happened to be compatible with Species 118's slipstream.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Heck, you can modify a standard Starfleet deflector dish to generate a slipstream conduit, as we saw in VGR. So it's not a total start-from-scratch technology that would take decades to develop. It's more a new application of potentials that Starfleet vessels already have. And some shapes and sizes of vessel are better equipped for it than others.

Old April 16 2013, 10:37 AM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

calamity_si wrote: View Post

Just found this in another thread - it's an early design for Voyager.

I must admit that I like this - more than the one used. I'd like to see this appear in Treklit, possibly as part of the 'Voyager' fleet...I presume it would be suitable for Slipstream adaptation.
Old April 16 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
tomswift2002
Captain

[QUOTE=Relayer1;7951621]
calamity_si wrote: View Post

I must admit that I like this - more than the one used. I'd like to see this appear in Treklit, possibly as part of the 'Voyager' fleet...I presume it would be suitable for Slipstream adaptation.
I recall that on one of the Voyager Season 1 DVD Special Features, the producers actually show a mock-up model of that design.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 05:09 AM   #25
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I must admit, I've always loved that proto-Voyager!

Pics of the study model can be seen here. (I think they used to be at starshipdatalink.net too, but that site appears to be down... for now? or permanently?)
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 09:04 PM   #26
tomswift2002
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, you can modify a standard Starfleet deflector dish to generate a slipstream conduit, as we saw in VGR. So it's not a total start-from-scratch technology that would take decades to develop. It's more a new application of potentials that Starfleet vessels already have. And some shapes and sizes of vessel are better equipped for it than others.

Starfleet would've needed to have researched the technology further from that point, since as you recall Voyager just made it into slipstream space, but when it did, the stresses were so high that Voyager's integrity field was just holding the ship together.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote