Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 15 2013, 06:27 PM   #421
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

After a brief break, I'm back to watching Dr. Who. I'm still on Genesis of the daleks, and I just watched episode 4. Its still cool, and the Daleks are interesting.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 05:51 AM   #422
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i watched The Dalek Invasion of Earth. it was better than i remembered. about to sit down and watch The Chase. i haven't seen it before.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:45 AM   #423
Starkers
Admiral

I watched part 1 of Pyramids of Mars last night.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:10 PM   #424
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Twin Dilemma (Sixth Doctor).

I'm not sure I understand the strong amount of hatred this story gets or why the Sixth Doctor is generally reviled. The story itself was somewhat pedestrian but enjoyable enough. I also liked the Doctor's manic turns in personality although the groveling bit where he blamed Peri for their presence in the tunnels was somewhat exasperating.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get the chance to know the Sixth Doctor very well. The library doesn't have much of his material. Only The Twin Dilemma, Vengeance on Varos, and The Trial of a Time Lord.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 08:54 PM   #425
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Finally made my way through all of Reign of Terror. Ugh. It was a stinker, in my opinion. They spent six episodes with some variation of "Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell. Companion is released/escapes. Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell again. Rine and repeat." I did one episode per day, and I think if I had tried two, it really would have been too much. I just did not enjoy this story.

Others in the same era - Planet of Giants, Sensorites, Aztecs, Dalek Invasion, I don't remember having that problem.
Old April 16 2013, 11:47 PM   #426
diankra
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Finally made my way through all of Reign of Terror. Ugh. It was a stinker, in my opinion. They spent six episodes with some variation of "Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell. Companion is released/escapes. Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell again. Rine and repeat." I did one episode per day, and I think if I had tried two, it really would have been too much. I just did not enjoy this story.

Others in the same era - Planet of Giants, Sensorites, Aztecs, Dalek Invasion, I don't remember having that problem.
I've mellowed to Reign of Terror recently, but aside from Keys of Marinus it's the only 1st season story that I can't feel enthusiatic about: yes, even Sensorites and the caveman stuff, both of which work as drama, if not always as Doctor Who as we later knew it.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:06 PM   #427
Zeppster
Commodore

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
The Twin Dilemma (Sixth Doctor).

I'm not sure I understand the strong amount of hatred this story gets or why the Sixth Doctor is generally reviled. The story itself was somewhat pedestrian but enjoyable enough. I also liked the Doctor's manic turns in personality although the groveling bit where he blamed Peri for their presence in the tunnels was somewhat exasperating.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get the chance to know the Sixth Doctor very well. The library doesn't have much of his material. Only The Twin Dilemma, Vengeance on Varos, and The Trial of a Time Lord.
The Trial of a Time Lord was an entire season. There's actually only about a few episodes missed outside of the ones you mentioned.

Last edited by Zeppster; April 17 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:17 PM   #428
Worf2DS9
Writer

Starkers wrote: View Post
I watched part 1 of Pyramids of Mars last night.
I just finished that serial last night! This was another one I remember from when I was a kid, particularly the robot mummies. It was cool seeing Michael Sheard in this one, pre-Admiral Ozzel.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:39 PM   #429
Zeppster
Commodore

I've been watching the 6th and 7th doctors a bit the last few days because I hadn't watched many of those episodes in years and I remembered there's a good reason why. Lots of very unlikeable stories. I'm so glad there's the doctor who audio stories that have really redeemed those. Just got through the first season of the 7th Doctor. What a freaking chore that was.
Old April 17 2013, 11:13 PM   #430
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Web Planet, which meant every time there was a scene on the surface of the planet, I think my eyes are fucked or my glasses are fucked cos of them having smeared grease on the camera lens to give the look of a weird atmosphere...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 12:00 AM   #431
diankra
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The Web Planet, which meant every time there was a scene on the surface of the planet, I think my eyes are fucked or my glasses are fucked cos of them having smeared grease on the camera lens to give the look of a weird atmosphere...
Get it over and done with, like going to the dentist. It's not that bad. It's pretty bad, but not that bad. Not mostly.
There's even a few good bits each episode. At least until part six. That's.... well, only 25 minutes till The Crusade. You can do that. Just grip the handrest hard... Bite down. Tell yourself it'll soon be over. And if that doesn't work, remember Time and the Rani and tell yourself that one day it'll be worse, so be grateful for now.
Old April 18 2013, 01:19 AM   #432
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i finished The Chase, which i thought was pretty good. Daleks fighting Frankenstein and Dracula...that was fun. also neat seeing Daleks on the Mary Celeste and on top of the Empire State Building.

i don't think i've ever seen The Web Planet though...
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:45 AM   #433
The Wormhole
Admiral

Just watched Four to Doomsday. How the hell do those helmets work anyway? Forcefields?
Old April 18 2013, 03:52 AM   #434
diankra
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Just watched Four to Doomsday. How the hell do those helmets work anyway? Forcefields?
Well, they're not in a vacuum when they venture out into the ship, it's just that there's no 02 to breathe (IIRC). So it'd be a bit inefficient, but if the spacepack just pumped a lot of oxygen into the area in front of their mouth they'd work OK as partial pressure breathers (the sort of thing you might wear on Mars or at the top of Everest, for instance).
None of that explains how the Doctor copes during the spacewalk, of course. But that's Time Lord miracle stuff!
Old April 18 2013, 08:49 AM   #435
Starkers
Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i finished The Chase, which i thought was pretty good. Daleks fighting Frankenstein and Dracula...that was fun. also neat seeing Daleks on the Mary Celeste and on top of the Empire State Building.

i don't think i've ever seen The Web Planet though...
The Chase, a bit like RTD travelled through time to write an everything plus the kitchen sink type story in the 60s

Daleks vs Dracula though, you can't not love that!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote