Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Closed Thread

Old December 16 2012, 04:15 PM   #16
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Re: The Hall of Forgotten Fanac: The James Dixon Collection

I'm with Ian: the last post was Dixon's. Everything about the site screams his handiwork. The over-the-top nature, the frankly ridiculous pictures, the "condolences" post, and just the general paranoid nature of the site.

I think he was still around as of last March.

Dakota Smith

Old December 16 2012, 04:36 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

See post #13 here, from January this year: http://s4.zetaboards.com/Terok_Nor_P...pic/8879391/2/

(smilies didn't copy)
ChristopherT wrote:
That is so fake! I believe James himself was behind that one. I think he was trying to make fun of the staff and membership of the www.trekbbs.com website. James is alive and well and makes regular contributions to a website run by a famous Star Trek Author.
It appears the memorial is for our benefit. I wonder who the "famous Trek author" is?
Old December 16 2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Unwrapped, he's not dead. That WAS him posting, I'm fairly certain of it.
Oh, I'm not surprised at all. James and I never really interacted when he was still here, but his reputation was certainly well established. I don't really have enough personal experience to judge, but I do remember some of the drama that went on.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Old December 16 2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

I'm reminded of how long I've been a member of this board. I recall having some epic throwdowns with Dixon.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old December 16 2012, 07:16 PM   #20
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm reminded of how long I've been a member of this board. I recall having some epic throwdowns with Dixon.
I remember the specifics of what he references in "ONLINE DIFFICULTIES..." I was around for it. I had never read "ONLINE DIFFICULTIES..." until it was sent to me a couple of days ago. I had started the site in complete ignorance of it.

So yeah, I've kind of been around a while, too. I'm not quite sure what that means ...

Dakota Smith

Old December 17 2012, 04:34 AM   #21
Darkwing
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
See post #13 here, from January this year: http://s4.zetaboards.com/Terok_Nor_P...pic/8879391/2/

(smilies didn't copy)
ChristopherT wrote:
That is so fake! I believe James himself was behind that one. I think he was trying to make fun of the staff and membership of the www.trekbbs.com website. James is alive and well and makes regular contributions to a website run by a famous Star Trek Author.
It appears the memorial is for our benefit. I wonder who the "famous Trek author" is?

I dunno, but that whole thread screams fake to me. The names of the posters and the whole idolization of James Dixon makes me think that every poster in that thread is a Dixon dual.

I liked his timeline, and he put a lot of effort into it, but he also ranted quite a bit. Okuda's timeline was pretty mealy-mouthed about not wanting to nail down things, so writers could do whatever they wanted. Dixon had no trouble speaking his mind on such things and trying to set tech fandom in permacrete.

I wonder when edition 18 will come out, and how he'll try ti disguise it. Since "Christopher T" was 'trying to edit his timeline', I'm guessing he'll release it under that name. The hardest part will be for him to make the additions seem like somebody else writing them.
Old December 17 2012, 05:02 AM   #22
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Darkwing wrote: View Post
I dunno, but that whole thread screams fake to me.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Reading Christopher Tarana's posts, I could be convinced it's Dixon.

Dakota Smith

Old December 17 2012, 12:24 PM   #23
Admiral

Xon too. His anti-Enterprise comments are right out of Dixon's mouth.

Oh god, they're all him, aren't they? All sixteen members. He was banned here so he started his own Trek BBS. It's some bizarre pantomime where he points out how clever he is and congratulates himself over and over.

Nah... it can't be. I hope.
Old December 17 2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^Makes perfect sense. Remember, he wasn't just banned here, he was banned everywhere. He's the only person he was ever willing or able to get along with.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old December 17 2012, 07:53 PM   #25
Darkwing
Commodore

Xon too. His anti-Enterprise comments are right out of Dixon's mouth.

Oh god, they're all him, aren't they? All sixteen members. He was banned here so he started his own Trek BBS. It's some bizarre pantomime where he points out how clever he is and congratulates himself over and over.

Nah... it can't be. I hope.
That's what I meant when I said "every poster". I only read the one thread, but Xon's comments and Christopher T's comments, combined with the username Davros of Borg, convinced me. It's gotta be.
Old December 18 2012, 10:10 AM   #26
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Oh god, they're all him, aren't they? All sixteen members.
I think you're probably right. When I vice-moderated the TREK echo, he did that a lot. We'd give him suspensions or bans, and he'd get pseudonyms that were pretty easy to spot. He comes close to admitting it in, "ONLINE DIFFICULTIES..." when he talks about his "friends" ...

Dakota Smith

Old December 18 2012, 10:56 AM   #27
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Actually, if all the posters on the Terak Nor Promenade are Dixon, that would make this posting of the STID non-trailer on December 7 a potential Dixon sighting.

Oh, hell, of course it's a Dixon sighting. December 7: Pearl Harbor Day and the anniversary of the opening of STTMP. And he posted a fake STID trailer.

Dixon was still out there a couple of weeks ago.

Dakota Smith

Old December 20 2012, 03:01 AM   #28
nightwind1
Commodore

DakotaSmith wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
One can't take his conclusions seriously, but you can find occasional factoids in his chrono that aren't documented anywhere else.
There's no question that James' knowledge of Trek lore was exhaustive. I'm a fan from 1967, and like James, I read everything I could get my hands on. I had read or at least vaguely remembered most of the sources James so obsessively cataloged.

It wasn't "Treknical" inaccuracy that was his problem. It was that he was a complete frak-head that couldn't get along with anyone.

Dakota Smith
That's pretty much him in a nutshell.

I used to participate fairly heavily on the USENet rec.arts.startrek.tech (and other rec.arts.startrek groups), and got into some DOOZY flame wars with him.

(As did nearly everyone else- I can't remember a single person actually agreeing with anything he posted).

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Old April 15 2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Admiral

Sorry to bump this, but I came across THIS and thought it may be of interest. CaptainLJB seems to be another James Dixon puppet. The fake leaked Trek XII script is the same one posted on the Terok Nor Promenade site - but there are a few interesting things in the thread. His detailed review of JJ Abrams' Star Trek is on page 3, and he also mentions having started writing a book about his life and obsession with Trek. And bashes Mike Okuda. A lot.
Old April 15 2013, 11:56 PM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

It has his touch, you might say. Here is hoping for other folks across the web to be lauded....roasted...
Closed Thread