Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 7 2013, 11:21 PM   #91
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

What I usually do with my sniper is get him up to Squad-sight and then keep him pretty close to the mission start location. I'll move him as lines of sight change, but I keep him as far away from the aliens as possible. In all of my play-throughs, my sniper tends to be my most valuable soldier and the only one I can count on most of the time. Giving him Double Tap at the Colonel level makes him that much more valuable.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 01:44 AM   #92
Yoda
Rear Admiral

So doing a little reading... umm. I can float my Sniper permanently and fuel is only depleted if he/she moves? That really wasn't very obvious to me.
Old April 8 2013, 10:14 AM   #93
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
So doing a little reading... umm. I can float my Sniper permanently and fuel is only depleted if he/she moves? That really wasn't very obvious to me.
Yeah, the game can be a little light on details at times. I only figured that out through trial and error.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 12:04 PM   #94
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Up to 3 Majors now. Including my first ever Support to get that high. 2 inventory slots? Titan Armor + 3 Med Packs w/ Revive + Chitin Plating? Can you say invincible.

The Archangel Snip[er, now that I know how to use him, is downright overpowered on the open maps. Especially with a dude running around in with Ghost stirring up trouble.

The upgraded rocket launcher is pretty amazing too. Just need to get those Heavies levels a bit more. I do have the Shredder rocket for 2 of them though. Upgraded damage plus magic curving? Same trick as the Archangel for the most part, only for indoor battles. Ghost finds the cluster of enemies, then a Shredder + normal rocket from two heavies curving around walls pretty much kills everything. I did lose a Major-ranked Assault to a sneaky Chrysalid ambush in my last mission. That kind of hurt. But on the bright side he was the one whose abilities I was sort of regretting. My other Assault is going all the way down the right side on the choices. For when the rocket assault only softens up those pesky Sectopods... Rapid Fire Alloy Cannon w/ extra critical damage = game over.

All research complete, just need some more weapon fragments to finish off all the foundry projects. 2 countries in Asia at 2 panic, the rest of the world at one. Ironman Classic difficulty... I think you're done for
Old April 15 2013, 08:33 AM   #95
Yoda
Rear Admiral

The other day I finally finished my game off. The final mission was a little goofy. First I was confused because I couldn't advance through some doors. Then I finally found a couple of Sectoids lurking in the dark after which I could move on. Then my Psychic dude was the first to die. Which apparently is game-ending. That threw me off. But it let me restart the level.

Went through it all. Really screwed up the very end... it came down to two of my guys bleeding out, two under mind control, and a rocket + 2 sniper rounds to take down the 'boss'. I thought I had died anyway but I guess the support troops just evaporate? Then the ending got super weird because all the sound except for the voices got cut down to like 5%, so all I could hear was bad voice acting. It played a little better when I looked it up on YouTube. I loaded up the final save again and immediately failed to replicate my victory (before I just went to YouTube), but it still allows you to restart. Seems kind of strange for Ironman but I guess I won't complain too much since it saved me the first time (though it is a bit unfair to require a particular soldier to survive and not to tell you.

I booted up impossible difficulty. And uhh, 2-3 tries I couldn't even get close to beating the first mission. The sectoids aim better than my soldiers. They have better weapons. There are more of them. And they no longer die to a single grenade? Ugh. Why?!? So I might just be done with the game, but it was a really fun ride, and here's hoping there's a sequel.

I have the old XCOM games purchased from Steam, maybe I'll give them a try, but after glancing at the UI I think I need to find the instruction book somewhere I'm thinking.
Old April 15 2013, 04:00 PM   #96
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ What I found helpful before playing the old X-Com was check out an "let's play" on the youtubes. May be just me, but I do learn faster seeing the UI used in context rather than than trying to memorize an instruction manual.

Incidentally, I think Steam often has PDFs of manuals available to download, just by right clicking the game in your library. Not sure if it's all games, or even any of the older games at all. Good place to start though.
Old October 27 2013, 06:36 PM   #97
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I wanted to bump this thread for two reasons.

First, an expansion pack was announced: XCOM: Enemy Within

It's very much a Firaxis-style expansion, expanding the content of the main game rather than adding an additional story. They are adding mechs and genetic engineering on top of everything else. In addition, there's a new organization called EXALT that are humans who want to use the aliens for their own gain. Here's a video of a mission against them along with covert spy stuff.

The second reason I'm bumping the thread is to ask a question for those who have more experience with the game. I put the game down for awhile to do other things, but I'm finally taking a stab at playing through the whole story. I'm at the point of the base assault. However, I feel I need to build up my troops (and hire some more troops) as well as get some important research done. On the other hand, the missions seem to keep getting harder and panic is obviously increasing. So my question is this. Is it better to just advance in the story and hope the pieces fall where they may or should I take a time out from the story and just run some missions so I can be stronger when the time comes?
Old October 27 2013, 06:41 PM   #98
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

It's very much a Firaxis-style expansion, expanding the content of the main game rather than adding an additional story. They are adding mechs and genetic engineering on top of everything else. In addition, there's a new organization called EXALT that are humans who want to use the aliens for their own gain. Here's a video of a mission against them along with covert spy stuff.

The second reason I'm bumping the thread is to ask a question for those who have more experience with the game. I put the game down for awhile to do other things, but I'm finally taking a stab at playing through the whole story. I'm at the point of the base assault. However, I feel I need to build up my troops (and hire some more troops) as well as get some important research done. On the other hand, the missions seem to keep getting harder and panic is obviously increasing. So my question is this. Is it better to just advance in the story and hope the pieces fall where they may or should I take a time out from the story and just run some missions so I can be stronger when the time comes?
I have played it through so my advice is, if time is running out, i.e. panic levels are rising to untenable levels then do the base assault, After it there is a considerable drop in panic across the world, you get much loot to sell/expand your research and the experience boost for the soldiers participating in the assault is also very nice (just be sure to pack a few medkits and to leaping maneuvers in uncertain areas).

I am really excited for Enemy Within and can't wait for it to be released.. i've got a ton of good games at home but they'll all be put on hold once it's there.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 07:03 PM   #99
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

In my first play-through, I went into the base assault with my research at about a mid-way point... I had laser weapons and I think I had the middle of the road armor. I made it out of there without a problem (this was on regular difficulty). In subsequent games, if I've even made it that far (on classic), I've tried waiting it out and have found that the game gets harder even if you aren't progressing the story. When I went after the base in the first game, I had yet to see Sectopods and Cyberdisks. Now, waiting it out, I'm constantly getting Cyberdisks and have just ran into my first two Sectopods and I'm nowhere close to being ready for the base.

My recommendation would be to not wait too long.... having the best equipment is certainly a boon, but getting straight into the base could come with its own advantages (the previously-mentioned reduction in panic, all the resources you get from the base, etc).

I'm so incredibly stoked for Enemy Within. November is going to be a rough month with the number of good games coming out, but this is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I love that it wasn't a half-assed effort. 40 new maps, lots of new bad guys, lots of new features, and new missions, including a base-defense mission. And your soldiers can be dapper alien-killing MoFos and wear fedoras into the battlefield. Very nice.

Old October 27 2013, 10:29 PM   #100
Reverend
Rear Admiral

What I found works well is to aggressively go after getting as many satellites in orbit as soon as possible. Getting the continent-wide bonuses goes a long way towards accelerating your rate of research, especially "we have ways" as it eliminates the wait on any autopsies. Needless to say this is most useful early on.

Indeed on my first playthrough I almost entirely skipped over laser weapons (only bothered with rifles & pistols) and went straight for the plasmas.
Old October 27 2013, 11:48 PM   #101
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm doing that as well, although I should have done satellites even earlier than I am because I've lost Germany and India.
Old October 27 2013, 11:55 PM   #102
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
What I found works well is to aggressively go after getting as many satellites in orbit as soon as possible. Getting the continent-wide bonuses goes a long way towards accelerating your rate of research, especially "we have ways" as it eliminates the wait on any autopsies. Needless to say this is most useful early on.

Indeed on my first playthrough I almost entirely skipped over laser weapons (only bothered with rifles & pistols) and went straight for the plasmas.
I'm usually following a different route.. get as many satellites up early in the game (at least 5-6) and then produce some on stock so i can react to maximum panic levels in countries before the end of the month so as not to lose the country.

Moneywise it's only very tight in the beginning and you can always do some 200$ missions to get some cash. I also don't bother saving up alien bodies for aircraft boosts or anything else as it's not very effective. Sell them off for a tidy bonus.

This might change with the new game (and for me it's a new game with all the additions) because you apparently need the alien bodies for biotech and cyber upgrades over which i'm drooling to do so hard ( want my Terminator and Agent Neo squads dammit!)

Enemy Within will be so awesome.. they simply can't fail apart from totally fucking up the base program and making the game unplayable.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:14 PM   #103
Reverend
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I'm usually following a different route.. get as many satellites up early in the game (at least 5-6) and then produce some on stock so i can react to maximum panic levels in countries before the end of the month so as not to lose the country.
Yeah, same here. I did a load upfront to get certain bonuses, but made sure I left had some in reserve for maximum effect when the panic gets high. I'm not sure exactly how the panic mechanics work, so I was always afraid that if I got full coverage, I'd be stuck without a means to lower panic on a country that already had a satellite.

It never came to that as it turned out as even by the final mission I still had two countries with no coverage and something like 4 sats in reserve (I'd read somewhere they can be taken out.)

Moneywise it's only very tight in the beginning and you can always do some 200$ missions to get some cash. I also don't bother saving up alien bodies for aircraft boosts or anything else as it's not very effective. Sell them off for a tidy bonus.
Yeah, I didn't bother with those until pretty late in the game where I had way more money than I needed. Never really used to robots either as they didn't seem worth the investment compared to a rookie. For starters they can't use cover or level up.

I actually thought it'd be better if instead of taking the place of a soldier, the drones could supplement the support and heavy classes. Like you assign one to a soldier with a specific perk, and they hunker down and remotely control it in the field. The trade off for the extra firepower would be that you can't move both in the same turn, but yo can leave the robot in overwatch to cover an exposed flank. Also, I imaging the remote control would have to take up one inventory slot.

Perhaps even make certain drones class specific? Say demolitions for the heavy and fire support for the support class? Hell, just the ability to give the drones different load outs would have been nice!
Old October 28 2013, 01:56 PM   #104
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Yeah, same here. I did a load upfront to get certain bonuses, but made sure I left had some in reserve for maximum effect when the panic gets high. I'm not sure exactly how the panic mechanics work, so I was always afraid that if I got full coverage, I'd be stuck without a means to lower panic on a country that already had a satellite.
Actually, there is an advantage to getting full satellite coverage- the abductions stop. You'll still get terror and UFO missions, but the abduction missions (the main source of panic increases) can only happen in cities without satellite coverage. Now, your panic can still increase if you fail one of the remaining missions, but it's definitely beneficial to get everything covered.

Old October 29 2013, 11:51 AM   #105
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Good thing I didn't get full coverage then! By the end of the game I was so secure that I was intentionally prolonging the game just for fun. I even made a game out of trying to get the Valkyrie achievement...then when I got that I decided it'd be fun to have them be all psi-powered as well...then I went ahead until I had enough female psi colonels to outfit two full squads. Those abduction missions really helped with the grind.